Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A psychedelic trip could tackle depression in a way that antidepressants can't

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

Lightbulb A psychedelic trip could tackle depression in a way that antidepressants can't

Medical cannabis already has tens of thousands of people tossing out their addictive, side effect heavy opiates in favor of a safer alternative. Next, we must look at psilocybin mushrooms as the safer alternative to antidepressants and other medication traditionally prescribed for mental illnesses. California and Colorodo are already looking at making moves on this.

When Clark Martin tripped on magic mushrooms for the first time, he was flanked by two researchers in a small room at New York University.

An avid sailor, Martin said the first few hours of the experience reminded him of a time he'd been knocked off his boat by a powerful wave and lost track of the vessel.

"It was like falling off the boat in the open ocean, looking back, and the boat is gone. Then the water disappears. Then you disappear," he said.

But the panic was temporary. Over the next few hours, Martin felt overwhelmed by an enduring sense of tranquility and a feeling of oneness with his surroundings.

"The whole 'you' thing just kinda drops out into a more timeless, more formless presence," Martin told Business Insider last year.

That shrinking of the sense of self and feeling of connection with the wider world has been linked with a fairly immediate reduction in symptoms of depression and anxiety. The effect has been observed to last anywhere from several months to several years, according to clinical trials of magic mushrooms' active ingredient, psilocybin, in cancer patients at Johns Hopkins and New York University. Martin was one of those patients.

Scientists are still investigating why these experiences appear to be beneficial and even therapeutic for people with depression. A new study published in the journal Frontiers in Psychopharmacology sheds light on some potential answers.

The study, undertaken by some of the same researchers involved in a handful of earlier psychedelic studies, enrolled 19 men and women with severe depression who hadn't responded to antidepressant drugs. Following traditional protocols (which involve the presence of a trained psychiatrist or therapist), the researchers gave the participants each two doses of psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, two weeks apart. The first was a very low dose (10 mg), the second was enough to induce a trip (25 mg).

As each participant's trip came to an end, the researchers asked them to assess the quality of their experience using the two measures that scientists have come to associate with beneficial trips: ego dissolution, or a shrunken sense of self-importance, and connection with the wider world.

Five weeks later, the scientists followed up with the participants. They found that the higher-quality the trip — which is not to be confused with "good" or "bad" feelings, since some highly therapeutic trips can involve a fair amount of anxiety — the less depressed people were five weeks later. That is, the more beneficial the trip, the better the outcome.

"This report further bolsters the view that the quality of the acute psychedelic experience is a key mediator of long-term changes in mental health," the researchers wrote in their paper.

'Psychedelics disrupt that process so people can escape'

David Nutt, one of the authors on the recent paper, is the director of the neuropsychopharmacology unit at Imperial College London. He told Business Insider in January that a key characteristic of mental illnesses like anxiety, depression, and addiction is overly strengthened connections in some brain circuits — specifically those involved in the sense of self.

"In the depressed brain, in the addicted brain, in the obsessed brain, it gets locked into a pattern of thinking or processing that's driven by the frontal, the control center," Nutt said.

Brain scan studies and several clinical trials suggest that psychedelic drugs tamp down on the activity in these circuits, potentially providing relief that may last a few weeks, several months, or even years.

"Psychedelics disrupt that process so people can escape," Nutt said. "At least for the duration of the trip, they can escape about the rumination about depression or alcohol or obsessions. And then they do not necessarily go back."

Researchers say the drugs' apparent ability to induce such powerful, positive changes in personality could offer a way to address the foundations of mental illness and therefore one day be used to help treat mental illnesses.

"Psychedelic therapy ... offers an opportunity to dig down and get to the heart of the problems that drive long-term mental illness in a much more effective way than our current model, which is take daily medications to mask symptoms," psychiatrist Ben Sessa said at a recent conference in London on the science of psychedelics.

The drugs are not a treatment in and of themselves, Sessa said. Rather, they are a tool that can be used in conjunction with therapy to help people address underlying issues.

In most of the clinical trials of psychedelics in people with depression, in fact, taking the drug is part of a larger experience that occurs alongside traditional therapy. A trained psychiatrist or therapist is usually in the room with the patient when they take the drug; often they hold hands. As the trip progresses, an experience that usually lasts between four and six hours, patients talk through their experience with the therapist, enabling them to push through any anxiety-provoking thoughts and sensations. That has suggested to researchers that the best way to achieve the beneficial results from these drugs is by combining them with traditional therapy, also known as drug-assisted psychotherapy.

"It's using the drugs to enhance that relationship between the therapist and the patient," Sessa said.

Psychiatrist Julie Holland is currently serving as the medical monitor for a study of MDMA and psychotherapy in veterans with PTSD. She said at the London conference that using psychedelics alongside therapy could be a powerful way to address issues that patients may never deal with on existing anti-depressant medications.

Those medications "are sort of sweeping symptoms under the rug," Holland said. "Psychedelic psychotherapy takes the rug out back and beats the hell out of it and vacuums the floor and puts the rug back down."
    http://www.businessinsider.com/psych...therapy-2018-1
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 114 Posts

a psychedelic trip is a roll of the dice which is able to alter the function of the brain and the very soul. it may make a person a trippy hippy until the day they die. it can go very wrong and it is not recommended for any person to partake of the mind altering drugs. it is my observation that psychedelic drugs are catalysts for the insanity of California, college campuses and insanity in governmental offices and the voting public. a bad trip can ruin a person in one hour. that person will be permanently derailed from their life's potential and purpose. this includes the use of high potency weed. preaching the use of psychedelic drugs; as you are doing, is sure evidence of the negative results of "trippin"" as a religion. Barack Hussein Obama and his damneds are directly responsible for the opioid deaths which began as an epidemic after the damned us gov. took/ usurped control of the sorceries/ witchcraft [falsely so called "healthcare"] industry. TAKE THE PAIN PILL
    Last edited by iewitness; 01-19-2018 at 04:26 PM.
    Even so, Come, Lord Jesus
    I do not participate in delusion count me out

3. The Following User Groans At iewitness For This Awful Post:

TrippyHippy (01-19-2018)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

I knew it, "it's Obama's fault," shocker

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2018), TrippyHippy (01-19-2018)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,771 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post
    Medical cannabis already has tens of thousands of people tossing out their addictive, side effect heavy opiates in favor of a safer alternative. Next, we must look at psilocybin mushrooms as the safer alternative to antidepressants and other medication traditionally prescribed for mental illnesses. California and Colorodo are already looking at making moves on this.

http://www.businessinsider.com/psych...therapy-2018-1
    I know a person who is taking low doses for migraines, she just began the treatment. I hope it works for her.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2018), TrippyHippy (01-19-2018)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    I knew it, "it's Obama's fault," shocker
    Always is, apparently. Or "it's Trump's fault." As if the President, which has a very select number of powers, is responsible for everything bad that occurs in this country.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

addicts.....

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by iewitness View Post
    a psychedelic trip is a roll of the dice which is able to alter the function of the brain and the very soul. it may make a person a trippy hippy until the day they die. it can go very wrong and it is not recommended for any person to partake of the mind altering drugs.
    a bad trip can ruin a person in one hour. that person will be permanently derailed from their life's potential and purpose. this includes the use of high potency weed. preaching the use of psychedelic drugs; as you are doing, is sure evidence of the negative results of "trippin"" as a religion.
    Really, because studies are actually finding mushrooms are the safest recreational drug.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ional-drug-lsd

it is my observation that psychedelic drugs are catalysts for the insanity of California, college campuses and insanity in governmental offices and the voting public.

Barack Hussein Obama and his damneds are directly responsible for the opioid deaths which began as an epidemic after the damned us gov. took/ usurped control of the sorceries/ witchcraft [falsely so called "healthcare"] industry. TAKE THE PAIN PILL
    1. Not Obama's fault, sorry. And not Trump's fault either. You wanna point fingers, point them at the pharmaceutical companies giving kickbacks to doctors prescribing pain pills, anxiety pills, and antidepressants.

2. Cannabis/psychedelics are not, in the least bit, comparable to opiates. Not sure why you even brought that up.

3. The opiod epidemic is actually what is inspiring cannabis legalization, it's the solution. Studies are showing cannabis helps kick physical addiction (withdrawals), and can be used as an alternative to traditional pain meds. Mushrooms are also an unmatched tool in aiding with addiction treatment.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 114 Posts

I have been here since 1967. I experienced "trippin'" . I have had the displeasure of witnessing everything I testify truly. I watch msm fake news every day and their primary advertisers are drug/ sorcerers companies peddling designer drugs and lawyers peddling class action lawsuits to dead people. this whole thing is horror to me. I understand people seeking new industrial endeavors to market shrooms and weed. it is all wrong to me. that is all...
    Even so, Come, Lord Jesus
    I do not participate in delusion count me out

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I did psychedelic drugs in my 20's
    but once you have a bad trip which is terrifying, it's over.
    A bit like Russian roulette.
    Be careful with these powerful drugs.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    addicts.....
    Psychedelic drugs are not addictive.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TrippyHippy For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2018)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Dezman View Post
    I did psychedelic drugs in my 20's
    but once you have a bad trip which is terrifying, it's over.
    A bit like Russian roulette.
    Be careful with these powerful drugs.
    Yes, I preach caution in use. And solid research. But if you're reasonable about your dose, do it in a good environment with people you're comfortable around, and use it for personal growth and spirituality instead of just another way to get high you can yield many benefits.

I'd like to see psychedelics used medically, in circumstances controlled by professional therapists, to aid with treatments. Or given to the terminally ill to erase the fear of dying.
    Last edited by TrippyHippy; 01-19-2018 at 08:34 PM.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post
    Yes, I preach caution in use. And solid research. But if you're reasonable about your dose, do it in a good environment with people you're comfortable around, and use it for personal growth and spirituality instead of just another way to get high you get can yield many benefits.

I'd like to see psychedelics used medically, in circumstances controlled by professional therapists, to aid with treatments. Or given to the terminally ill to erase the fear of dying.
    The issue is dosage,when only available illegal,dose is impossible to know!

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iewitness View Post
    a psychedelic trip is a roll of the dice which is able to alter the function of the brain and the very soul. it may make a person a trippy hippy until the day they die. it can go very wrong and it is not recommended for any person to partake of the mind altering drugs. it is my observation that psychedelic drugs are catalysts for the insanity of California, college campuses and insanity in governmental offices and the voting public. a bad trip can ruin a person in one hour. that person will be permanently derailed from their life's potential and purpose. this includes the use of high potency weed. preaching the use of psychedelic drugs; as you are doing, is sure evidence of the negative results of "trippin"" as a religion. Barack Hussein Obama and his damneds are directly responsible for the opioid deaths which began as an epidemic after the damned us gov. took/ usurped control of the sorceries/ witchcraft [falsely so called "healthcare"] industry.
    Sounds like you got into the wrong stuff again. Back slowly away from the toads and the buttons and it'll be okay.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

domer76 (01-19-2018)

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Dezman View Post
    The issue is dosage,when only available illegal,dose is impossible to know!
    With LSD, you are correct. Since it normally comes on blotter sheets there is no precise way to know how much is on it. Although I will say, being that LSD is extremely hard to synthesize and very expensive, I doubt you'll ever find a tab more potent than 200ug for the normal street price. That's giving the shit away, not profitable at all. So if you only take one tab it's highly unlikely you'll get an unreasonable dose. Then, from there, you know how potent it is and can take more the next time using your best judgement.

Mushrooms, however, can be precisely measured by the gram. You can weigh out a microdose (less than 1g), a regular dose (anywhere from 1g-3.5g) or a heavy dose (4g+ depending on tolerance and experience).

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Sounds like you got into the wrong stuff again. Back slowly away from the toads and the buttons and it'll be okay.
    If he is telling the truth about his so-called "personal experience", which I'm doubting because he called it trippin' using quotation marks lol, he probably got a bunk bag. There's actually a big problem currently with people selling blotter sheets containing what are called 'psychedelic amphetamines', which are cheap substitutes that only mimic the effects of LSD and have really bad side effects. It's no laughing matter, but the thought makes me chuckle a little bit because, from what I've seen, he fits every stereotype I have of somebody who would be sold a bunk bag. If only he had done his research and got a testing kit....

Really, it's the ignorant people that don't know what they're doing that ruin it for the rest of us. I've seen an idiot take acid and then down a bottle of liquor. Pure stupidity. It's common fucking sense that alcohol would be horrible to mix with that shit. I've seen people take speed on top of them too. Or decide to do it in the middle of the woods, in the dark. Or watch a horror movie during their trip. So on and so forth. It's those asshats that give psychedelics bad press. Intelligent use is not only safe, but extremely beneficial.