Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DC Mayor Addresses How High School Grads All Got Diplomas Without Meeting Requirement

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It sounds nice on the screen, but I don't see it as very workable. For one thing, a huge problem is parents who basically don't care about their kids' education. They don't attended parent-teacher conferences, they don't insist on homework being done/turned in, they don't care what grades the kid gets, etc. Some are even hostile towards any teacher or admin who dares to suggest that their kid isn't measuring up, or needs discipline.

Another problem I see is one that is currently an issue with so-called charter and private schools. In some states (Louisiana comes to mind) they are not required to have the same standards are public schools. The teachers are not required to have the same education and certifications as public school teachers.

A third issue I have with the scenario has to do with religious schools. I don't believe that taxpayers should be funding religious education; if that's what the parents want, they can pay out of pocket for it like they do now.

And finally, my experience with home-schoolers hasn't been all that positive either. Our former state (Missouri) removed the requirement that home-schooled children must meet the same academic standards as public/private-school kids, because of lobbying by religious fundie groups. We had a neighbor who had custody of her g-son and was home-schooling him, supposedly. That consisted mostly of her reading him the Bible and having him do Jesus color books and workbooks. He came over one day when we were looking at an article about space on the Internet. He was the same age as my youngest daughter, who was in 8th grade at the time. She was pointing out something on the screen and he asked her to read it to him. She asked him if he forgot his glasses. He said no, that he couldn't read that, the words were too "big". I know, it's just one example out of thousands, but this is what happens when you don't have *some* sort of standards to meet.
    Very good counter-points, thank you. Those are all easily solvable issues to work with before we institute a school choice system though.

For starters, yes teachers of any school should be required to have a legitimate college education relevant to the subject they'll be teaching, and be fully certified as any public educator would. And obviously religious schools would not count in this system as it would be a solid violation of the constitution to force people to pay for kids to go to religious schools. You're right, they can pay for that nonsense out of pocket. As for the homeschool, you and I may have very different experiences. All the homeschooled kids I have met were extremely smart, polite, good-natured people. And though there are shitty parents out there (can't fix that), it is still the right of parents to school their children at home if they wish. And most parents would do a fantastic job actually, imo, if they gave themselves a chance. Anyway, in most states, there are still basic standards homeschooled children must meet to continue their schooling that way. Just apply those universally and enforce them, there will be little to no problems.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    The other issues is children with disabilities will get left behind.
    On the contrary, parents of disabled children will have more power to choose an individualized education that works best for their child. And, in the interest of keeping the solid amount of money allocated to schools for disabled children, believe me schools will be falling over themselves proving they are friendly towards children with disabilities.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,768 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post
    On the contrary, parents of disabled children will have more power to choose an individualized education that works best for their child. And, in the interest of keeping the solid amount of money allocated to schools for disabled children, believe me schools will be falling over themselves proving they are friendly towards children with disabilities.
    You will have to prove to me that this will be the case, from what I have obseeved many private school will not accept them. It is more expensive to school these children and in some cases they have disciplinary issues, violent tendencies, or inattentiveness which disrupts classrooms.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

High school diplomas are worthless anyway as public education in this country is a complete fucking joke. All it does is teach you to memorize useless facts and regurgitate them on standardized tests.
    My HS educations gave me what I needed to get into college....

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,210 Times in 3,431 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,204 Times in 1,881 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Right View Post
    My HS educations gave me what I needed to get into college....
    You can learn a lot in school if the school is all white. But today blacks and illegals are everywhere and the schools have dumbed down to accomadate them. Blacks and illegals don't have the brains to learn anything and don't even try. For them school is just free day care and free food. All courtesy of white taxpayers.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

I don't think throwing money at the problem is going to fix it. I strongly disagree with people calling for more public education funding. That's what I was trying to tell you, I've never called for more money to go toward education. Long before we start looking to increase budgets, we need to fix the system itself.

-I think returning education to the states is a pretty decent start, federal testing and curriculum standards are part of the problem. I'd be very happy to see the DoE abolished in it's entirety actually. Education is not a federal power under the constitution anyway.
    -I'd like to see all standardized testing and curriculums go, in fact, and give the teachers more wiggle room in the classroom to teach their students individually based on who they are instead of a "one size fits all approach." As Albert Einstein said: "Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish on it's ability to climb a tree it will spend it's whole life believing it's stupid." Applying the multiple intelligences theory in schools would be fantastic.
    -I'm also a strong advocate of school choice (if you need me to elaborate, I'm happy to).
    -Definitely want to see more exercise and outdoors time instead of keeping the kids cooped up in a classroom all day, studies are very positive on this approach...it tends to increase focus and work quality back in the classroom.
    -I'd like to see a small block of time for independent study. Still school time, they are expected to be productive. But they can follow any academic topics that peak their interest, help them follow natural passions and talents which will inspire them to apply themselves and finish school.

Those are a couple ideas I personally have as a step in the right direction. We need honest discussion from all sides of the political spectrum on this though.

My life, bitch.

Get the unions out of public education and that will go a long way to fixing the system.

Education should be at the state level. That's not me talking, that's the Constitution, although I agree.

I don't have a problem with a curriculum as there are basics that need to be taught in order that people are able to function in society. The wiggle room approach can be used in teaching methods. When students have mastered the things that they will need to function in society regardless of what they do professionally, no problem with the branching out to other subjects. However, if they can't read but on a 5th grade level when they graduate, the rest of the feel good things don't really matter.

I fully understand what school choice is.

As long as the function in society steps are met, I'm all for the outdoor activities. However, parents should be the motivating factor there not the schools.

I've seen what the independent study times can turn into. They used to call them study hall and they were anything but productive. As long as it's structured and academics are the focus, go for it.

As for the marijuana, if you want to put that shit in your body, go for it. What you do in the privacy of your home is your business. However, when you bring that shit in public, it becomes the public's business.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Education should be at the state level. That's not me talking, that's the Constitution, although I agree.
    Got that right. Education is never mentioned in the constitution so, by the 10th amendment, it is a state issue ENTIRELY!!
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Text Drivers are Killers For This Post:

MAGA MAN (01-19-2018)

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well the idea of school choice is that tax dollars follow the children, rather than automatically going to each school. So a parent can choose to enroll their kid in a different public school, an affordable private school, charter school, homeschool, online school, whatever they wish. And they are not impacted by personal finances. What I really like about it is it gives parents more control over the education their child is receiving. I also tend to believe it will subject schools to much needed competition, forcing them to prove to parents that their school is the best choice. Rather than complacently receiving a budget, and teaching the kids just as complacently they must constantly work to make their school better than the other schools. The market system in this country functions in a similar fashion and it works great. Companies must compete with other companies for your business, the result is they are constantly working to innovate and make existing products better. I would like to see this mentality in the education system.
    That sounds like the voucher scheme once proposed over here.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Text Drivers are Killers View Post
    Got that right. Education is never mentioned in the constitution so, by the 10th amendment, it is a state issue ENTIRELY!!
    There are lots of things that fit concept.

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    That sounds like the voucher scheme once proposed over here.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

Scheme? Does that mean you don't like it?

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There are lots of things that fit concept.
    Yes indeed. The founding fathers were huge believers in states rights and wanted a very weak federal govt. We have really gotten away from that. 99% of what the feds do is brazenly unconstitutional.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Text Drivers are Killers For This Post:

MAGA MAN (01-21-2018)

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes indeed. The founding fathers were huge believers in states rights and wanted a very weak federal govt. We have really gotten away from that. 99% of what the feds do is brazenly unconstitutional.
    The founding fathers, while wanting more than what the failed Articles of Confederation did, were not the big federal government in everything advocates we have so many of today. While many called themselves Federalists, that meant they supported the concept of Federalism. They wanted the federal government to be in charge of things for which the federal government needed to be in charge not cradle to grave federal government involvement in everything.

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The founding fathers, while wanting more than what the failed Articles of Confederation did, were not the big federal government in everything advocates we have so many of today. While many called themselves Federalists, that meant they supported the concept of Federalism. They wanted the federal government to be in charge of things for which the federal government needed to be in charge not cradle to grave federal government involvement in everything.
    Yes indeed. The feds should concern themselves with foreign affairs. That's what they are suited for. The rest should be left to the states.

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes indeed. The feds should concern themselves with foreign affairs. That's what they are suited for. The rest should be left to the states.
    Article I, Section 8 is quite specific on areas in which the federal government has authority. The 10th Amendment is quite specific that if Article I, Section 8 doesn't grant it to the federal government and Article I, Section 10 doesn't prohibit it to the States, it belongs to the States as a reserved power. Most of the idiots on the left don't understand the concept of what a reserved power is. They assume that if a state doesn't deal with an issue, it defaults back to the federal government.

The Obamacare supporters quite often cited Romneycare in Massachusetts under a Republican governor as Republicans supporting Obamacare like concepts. Not true. As far as the Constitution is concerned, I fully support the authority of Massachusetts to do such a thing. That doesn't mean I support the mindset behind government run healthcare. It means I support the 10th Amendment and the principles under which the Constitution was created. When it comes to Obamacare, although many things may have been the same, I don't support it because it's not within the authority of the federal government under Article I, Section 8 to do so.

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Obamacare supporters quite often cited Romneycare in Massachusetts under a Republican governor as Republicans supporting Obamacare like concepts. Not true. As far as the Constitution is concerned, I fully support the authority of Massachusetts to do such a thing. That doesn't mean I support the mindset behind government run healthcare. It means I support the 10th Amendment and the principles under which the Constitution was created. When it comes to Obamacare, although many things may have been the same, I don't support it because it's not within the authority of the federal government under Article I, Section 8 to do so.
    Of course. Obamacare is brazenly unconstitutional since it is not one of the listed powers of congress. I agree with the people who say obama blackmailed chief justice roberts over the way roberts illegally adopted his kids.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Text Drivers are Killers For This Post:

MAGA MAN (01-21-2018)