Members banned from this thread: evince

Thread: Immigration Reform and Chain Migration

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Default Immigration Reform and Chain Migration

Trump wants to do away with chain migration where brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles can immigrate legally once one relative of theirs becomes a citizen. He also wants to do away with the immigration lottery and have a skills based qualification for immigration like liberal Canada.
    Being a liberal I agree with this. Discuss.

evince is banned from this thread. I have finally learned.

Link: https://www.npr.org/2018/01/11/57727...an-explanation
    Last edited by Cancel 2018.1; 01-11-2018 at 12:43 PM.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,563 Times in 17,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

The lottery.. It is about 55,000 chances. This year those who enter cannot be from 18 different countries that are high in people immigrating to the US. Those countries include India, Haiti, Vietnam, Canada among 14 more. To qualify, you have to have a level of education that is equal to high school graduation in US. You can also qualify if you are a member of some professions. Most of those professions are the level of Engineers, doctors and astronomers. If you get a green card, you have a limited amount of time to show up. You have to be self supporting. The lottery is not what Trump makes it sound like.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    The lottery.. It is about 55,000 chances. This year those who enter cannot be from 18 different countries that are high in people immigrating to the US. Those countries include India, Haiti, Vietnam, Canada among 14 more. To qualify, you have to have a level of education that is equal to high school graduation in US. You can also qualify if you are a member of some professions. Most of those professions are the level of Engineers, doctors and astronomers. If you get a green card, you have a limited amount of time to show up. You have to be self supporting. The lottery is not what Trump makes it sound like.
    Do you think a lottery is a fair way to allow immigrants - luck of the draw? Personally I don't think it's fair if 10 are let in that way.
    Of course how do you define 'immigrant'? A foreigner with a green card, illegal alien, foreigner that became a citizen?
    and no , one doesn't qualify just by being in a profession. There's a lot of hoops to jump through and it's still not automatic. I've known a few, they taught in professional school.
    And what about the chain immigrants?
    It's a lot easier if you're the cousin of a legal immigrant than if you're a doctor, e.g. I've known a few that have tried and failed. They were instructors at professional schools. Of course they had their work permit but citizenship was a different story.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

We have enough immigrants. Shut it all down. Pay more for your oranges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

I am fine with curbing the tag alongs and having more skill-based system over the crazy quota system we have now, but I don't think it should be exclusively for work grounds. I would prefer something even more progressive though.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course. It is an opportunity for those in countries that do not get the chance to come here. It is a green card lottery. You have to qualify. Chain migration is just the ability for people who are here to bring in extended families . It does not bother me. They still get scrutinized and have to qualify. The point you make that they have to clear some hurdles to come here, should give you solace. It is not about allowing drug dealers and rapists in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-12-2018)

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

It's kind of like finding a golden ticket in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (Or if you prefer Willy Wonka)

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    Trump wants to do away with chain migration where brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles can immigrate legally once one relative of theirs becomes a citizen. He also wants to do away with the immigration lottery and have a skills based qualification for immigration like liberal Canada.
    Being a liberal I agree with this. Discuss.

evince is banned from this thread. I have finally learned.

Link: https://www.npr.org/2018/01/11/57727...an-explanation
    Chain migration has to go. All it does it gets around the laws about illegals not being here.

Baby mama who didn't quite make it with previous children, therefore not a citizen, leaves them with aunt/uncle while she camps out at the US/Mexican border. At 8 1/2 months, she sneaks in, doffs off the child, and as a result of the ridiculous and never intended use of the 14th, the doff off is a citizen. As a result, the what would have been illegal brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, etc. get to come here and live off the taxpayers.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course. It is an opportunity for those in countries that do not get the chance to come here. It is a green card lottery. You have to qualify. Chain migration is just the ability for people who are here to bring in extended families . It does not bother me. They still get scrutinized and have to qualify. The point you make that they have to clear some hurdles to come here, should give you solace. It is not about allowing drug dealers and rapists in.

Let those extended family member apply like anyone else. If they don't get it, tough shit.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Let those extended family member apply like anyone else. If they don't get it, tough shit.
    Wouldn't you think someone who wanted to come here and already has a family here might be more successful?

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Wouldn't you think someone who wanted to come here and already has a family here might be more successful?
    Not necessarily. Having a family member here shouldn't put you ahead in line if someone that doesn't have a family member applied first.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,654 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

One of the abuses of chain migration is that children bring their elderly parents to the U. S. to care for them. They have to pledge they will take care of those parents financially, but these pledges are never enforced. The elderly parents have no income so they qualify for SSI benefits.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

dukkha (01-14-2018)