Members banned from this thread: evince


Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Immigration Reform and Chain Migration

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks
    982
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 159 Times in 152 Posts

    Default Immigration Reform and Chain Migration

    Trump wants to do away with chain migration where brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles can immigrate legally once one relative of theirs becomes a citizen. He also wants to do away with the immigration lottery and have a skills based qualification for immigration like liberal Canada.
    Being a liberal I agree with this. Discuss.

    evince is banned from this thread. I have finally learned.

    Link: https://www.npr.org/2018/01/11/57727...an-explanation
    Last edited by aloysious; 01-11-2018 at 11:43 AM.

  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5,733
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,847 Posts
    Groans
    1,623
    Groaned 455 Times in 432 Posts

    Default

    The lottery.. It is about 55,000 chances. This year those who enter cannot be from 18 different countries that are high in people immigrating to the US. Those countries include India, Haiti, Vietnam, Canada among 14 more. To qualify, you have to have a level of education that is equal to high school graduation in US. You can also qualify if you are a member of some professions. Most of those professions are the level of Engineers, doctors and astronomers. If you get a green card, you have a limited amount of time to show up. You have to be self supporting. The lottery is not what Trump makes it sound like.

  3. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks
    982
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 159 Times in 152 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    The lottery.. It is about 55,000 chances. This year those who enter cannot be from 18 different countries that are high in people immigrating to the US. Those countries include India, Haiti, Vietnam, Canada among 14 more. To qualify, you have to have a level of education that is equal to high school graduation in US. You can also qualify if you are a member of some professions. Most of those professions are the level of Engineers, doctors and astronomers. If you get a green card, you have a limited amount of time to show up. You have to be self supporting. The lottery is not what Trump makes it sound like.
    Do you think a lottery is a fair way to allow immigrants - luck of the draw? Personally I don't think it's fair if 10 are let in that way.
    Of course how do you define 'immigrant'? A foreigner with a green card, illegal alien, foreigner that became a citizen?
    and no , one doesn't qualify just by being in a profession. There's a lot of hoops to jump through and it's still not automatic. I've known a few, they taught in professional school.
    And what about the chain immigrants?
    It's a lot easier if you're the cousin of a legal immigrant than if you're a doctor, e.g. I've known a few that have tried and failed. They were instructors at professional schools. Of course they had their work permit but citizenship was a different story.

  4. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gone to the mattresses
    Posts
    6,343
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 1,562 Posts
    Groans
    90
    Groaned 282 Times in 278 Posts

    Default

    We have enough immigrants. Shut it all down. Pay more for your oranges


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  5. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,836
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 630 Times in 485 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 61 Times in 55 Posts

    Default

    I am fine with curbing the tag alongs and having more skill-based system over the crazy quota system we have now, but I don't think it should be exclusively for work grounds. I would prefer something even more progressive though.

  6. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5,733
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,847 Posts
    Groans
    1,623
    Groaned 455 Times in 432 Posts

    Default

    Of course. It is an opportunity for those in countries that do not get the chance to come here. It is a green card lottery. You have to qualify. Chain migration is just the ability for people who are here to bring in extended families . It does not bother me. They still get scrutinized and have to qualify. The point you make that they have to clear some hurdles to come here, should give you solace. It is not about allowing drug dealers and rapists in.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

    Phantasmal (01-12-2018)

  8. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,815
    Thanks
    673
    Thanked 749 Times in 560 Posts
    Groans
    59
    Groaned 78 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    It's kind of like finding a golden ticket in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (Or if you prefer Willy Wonka)

  9. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    22,303
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 2,367 Times in 2,175 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 268 Times in 261 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    Trump wants to do away with chain migration where brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles can immigrate legally once one relative of theirs becomes a citizen. He also wants to do away with the immigration lottery and have a skills based qualification for immigration like liberal Canada.
    Being a liberal I agree with this. Discuss.

    evince is banned from this thread. I have finally learned.

    Link: https://www.npr.org/2018/01/11/57727...an-explanation
    Chain migration has to go. All it does it gets around the laws about illegals not being here.

    Baby mama who didn't quite make it with previous children, therefore not a citizen, leaves them with aunt/uncle while she camps out at the US/Mexican border. At 8 1/2 months, she sneaks in, doffs off the child, and as a result of the ridiculous and never intended use of the 14th, the doff off is a citizen. As a result, the what would have been illegal brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, etc. get to come here and live off the taxpayers.

  10. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    22,303
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 2,367 Times in 2,175 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 268 Times in 261 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Of course. It is an opportunity for those in countries that do not get the chance to come here. It is a green card lottery. You have to qualify. Chain migration is just the ability for people who are here to bring in extended families . It does not bother me. They still get scrutinized and have to qualify. The point you make that they have to clear some hurdles to come here, should give you solace. It is not about allowing drug dealers and rapists in.

    Let those extended family member apply like anyone else. If they don't get it, tough shit.

  11. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5,733
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,847 Posts
    Groans
    1,623
    Groaned 455 Times in 432 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Let those extended family member apply like anyone else. If they don't get it, tough shit.
    Wouldn't you think someone who wanted to come here and already has a family here might be more successful?

  12. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    22,303
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 2,367 Times in 2,175 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 268 Times in 261 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Wouldn't you think someone who wanted to come here and already has a family here might be more successful?
    Not necessarily. Having a family member here shouldn't put you ahead in line if someone that doesn't have a family member applied first.

  13. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,339
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 289 Times in 249 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 18 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    One of the abuses of chain migration is that children bring their elderly parents to the U. S. to care for them. They have to pledge they will take care of those parents financially, but these pledges are never enforced. The elderly parents have no income so they qualify for SSI benefits.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

    noise (01-14-2018)

Similar Threads

  1. Next: Immigration Reform
    By Howey in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM
  2. NO to ANY Immigration REFORM
    By SJJRSJJS in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 04:31 PM
  3. Immigration reform 2
    By USFREEDOM911 in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 02:46 AM
  4. Immigration reform 1
    By DeMartMan in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 06:04 PM
  5. We can get immigration reform done
    By Canceled.LTroll.8 in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 09:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •