Thread: Retroactive threadbans

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Retroactive threadbans

Retroactive threadbans are banning someone from a thread after you have started it.

For a long time, us mods did not step in on this stuff, because we could see the potential for it being ceremoniously abused.

Lately, I have started granting requests to people (and to a lesser extent other mods have followed suit on rare occasions), based on the following logic:

1) Historically, we have always treated each users threads on JPP as their own domain. We routinely grant requests to close threads and to delete threads. Threadbanning is just another extension of that.

2) Given point number 1, de-facto retroactive threadbanning already existed in some form because people would just end up closing/deleting their old thread and starting a new one with a new ban list. This just ends up with more (and pointless) work being created, and it would also lead to the deletion of other peoples quality posts just because the issue of one individual being allowed in a thread. This was all happening when we had a readily available solution to affect an outcome that can be handled in a simpler and quicker manner.

So there is logic to allow retroactive threadbans. By granting them, we can preserve otherwise good discussion instead of having to delete it, have less clutter on the board from closed threads, and have less work for the mod team.

Here is where the cart goes off the rails:

1) users that use it in bad faith to troll people in their threads, or kick someone out that really wasn't doing anything wrong
    2) users that use it as a "gotcha" measure
    3) users that use it to feel superior and to create warnings and demerits throughout their threads and generally being a pain in the ass
    4) adults generally acting like children

So let me clarify retroactive threadbans a bit further:

1) Nobody is entitled to one. If you want to guarantee someone is threadbanned, do it upfront. Otherwise you are at the whims of us mods. Be responsible for your own shit.

2) The above also goes for thread closings and deletions. If you ask once and a while, sure. If it becomes an everyday thing, then fuck off.

3) If you abuse this and use it to troll or try to use the mod team to fight your petty vendettas, you will not have any of your requests granted.

4) As always, mods are human beings, not robots, and we are able to look at the context of a situation. Again, the privileges and large free reign you get here and the extent to which we let you govern your own threads comes with the caveat that you act maturely and responsibly and you don't take the privileges for granted.

In short, we do them now, on a case by case basis. If you tend to not ask for them, your likelihood of it being granted goes up. If you become a problem child then your issues will quickly be ignored. Use your privileges in your threads (closings/deletions/threadbans) responsibly.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
    Retroactive threadbans are banning someone from a thread after you have started it.

For a long time, us mods did not step in on this stuff, because we could see the potential for it being ceremoniously abused.

Lately, I have started granting requests to people (and to a lesser extent other mods have followed suit on rare occasions), based on the following logic:

1) Historically, we have always treated each users threads on JPP as their own domain. We routinely grant requests to close threads and to delete threads. Threadbanning is just another extension of that.

2) Given point number 1, de-facto retroactive threadbanning already existed in some form because people would just end up closing/deleting their old thread and starting a new one with a new ban list. This just ends up with more (and pointless) work being created, and it would also lead to the deletion of other peoples quality posts just because the issue of one individual being allowed in a thread. This was all happening when we had a readily available solution to affect an outcome that can be handled in a simpler and quicker manner.

So there is logic to allow retroactive threadbans. By granting them, we can preserve otherwise good discussion instead of having to delete it, have less clutter on the board from closed threads, and have less work for the mod team.

1) users that use it in bad faith to troll people in their threads, or kick someone out that really wasn't doing anything wrong
    3) users that use it to feel superior and to create warnings and demerits throughout their threads and generally being a pain in the ass

1) Nobody is entitled to one. If you want to guarantee someone is threadbanned, do it upfront. Otherwise you are at the whims of us mods. Be responsible for your own shit.

2) The above also goes for thread closings and deletions. If you ask once and a while, sure. If it becomes an everyday thing, then fuck off.

3) If you abuse this and use it to troll or try to use the mod team to fight your petty vendettas, you will not have any of your requests granted.

4) As always, mods are human beings, not robots, and we are able to look at the context of a situation. Again, the privileges and large free reign you get here and the extent to which we let you govern your own threads comes with the caveat that you act maturely and responsibly and you don't take the privileges for granted.

In short, we do them now, on a case by case basis. If you tend to not ask for them, your likelihood of it being granted goes up. If you become a problem child then your issues will quickly be ignored. Use your privileges in your threads (closings/deletions/threadbans) responsibly.
    I only do it for people derailing a discussion, otherwise I have an adamant base of bans. I also brought attention to Annie making a sock to re-enter a thread they abused, and I asked they be banned from. Otherwise I'm just fine letting people enter the discussion. Covfefe enjoys my recipe discussion as well, and we like to keep it to that. Yaya is angry, because they think I singled them out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-28-2017)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Also, as I am a misanthrope, I am much less likely to grant your request.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (12-28-2017), Minister of Truth (12-29-2017), Mott the Hoople (12-29-2017), USFREEDOM911 (12-29-2017)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    Also, as I am a misanthrope, I am much less likely to grant your request.
    I'm a bit of a misanthrope myself, but not as much as I used to be.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,525 Times in 52,742 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
    Retroactive threadbans are banning someone from a thread after you have started it....

I see that whiny-ass ball-less wonder Yaya retroactively banned me from his whiny-ass pity party Thread ban lament.... because I asked Jade to look into having him removed from Jade's Recipe Exchange thread for derailing and refusing to stop fighting with other ppl. Hahahahaha.

Please don't take this as a request to remove said whiny-ass little putz's Owl Removal pleas. Just wanted to publicly mock the little weiner and his tender butthurtz. lol

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Jade Dragon (12-28-2017), Mott the Hoople (12-29-2017)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I see that whiny-ass ball-less wonder Yaya retroactively banned me from his whiny-ass pity party Thread ban lament.... because I asked Jade to look into having him removed from Jade's Recipe Exchange thread for derailing and refusing to stop fighting with other ppl. Hahahahaha.

Please don't take this as a request to remove said whiny-ass little putz's Owl Removal pleas. Just wanted to publicly mock the little weiner and his tender butthurtz. lol
    You guys know the Ignore List is a thing right? Hell, we can even force you to ignore one another if you want.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You guys know the Ignore List is a thing right? Hell, we can even force you to ignore one another if you want.
    You'd lose participants in a heartbeat doing that though.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,525 Times in 52,742 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have quite an extensive ignored collection, thanks.

Are those your real boobs? lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-29-2017)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by S -H -A -R -T -S arenojoke View Post

How about instead of retroactive threadbans why don’t you perform retroactive abortions? Wouldn’t that be a more permanent solution?

Instead of going back and forth with whiny assed whimps who don’t know how to ignore some asshole who desperately needs aborted you could just say “Damo... hand me the zircon encrusted tweezers.”.

I mean wouldn’t that be more efficient? No more having to give Desh or Legion a thousand warnings?

Damn right it would!
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

BRUTALITOPS (12-29-2017)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Welcome to the club. We’ve been doing that to Yurt for ages.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-29-2017)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    You'd lose participants in a heartbeat doing that though.
    would we miss you?.....

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

TOP (12-29-2017)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

they are.....men are from Mars, Cap'n Billy are Venusian.......

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-30-2017), ThatOwlWoman (12-29-2017)

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,769 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    would we miss you?.....
    I would, you, not at all

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

25. #15 | Top