Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 65% conservatives 'proud to be American,' just 37% liberals agree

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,740 Times in 14,334 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    The Washington Examiner is a conservative rag that should have asked the question of independents, dishonest poll
    Worse yet...see above
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    My family is here, and one can use them as a model for change in this country without wanting to leave the USA.
    Especially when a regime usurps power, and proceeds to create policy that the overwhelming majority rejects.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-16-2017)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    A great deal, you see, does depend on what you mean by 'American' here. If you mean 'ignorant racist bullies', for instance, the 'conservatives' are right.
    look. Obma was the worst thing to happen to our foreign policy. we got slammed out of the ME,and he was a complete baby dealing with Putin-
    wouldn't even TALK to him at meetings.

But I don't go around calling him a ne'er do well - his mindset was we somehow had to apologize for being American.

Now we threw out all that junk for MAGA-and that means basically realpolitik
    ( except for Russia which Congress fvcked up).

Trump's American First is a re-alignment and you see that in immigration too with proposed means testing to get in here

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    look. Obma was the worst thing to happen to our foreign policy. we got slammed out of the ME,and he was a complete baby dealing with Putin-
    wouldn't even TALK to him at meetings.

But I don't go around calling him a ne'er do well - his mindset was we somehow had to apologize for being American.

Now we threw out all that junk for MAGA-and that means basically realpolitik
    ( except for Russia which Congress fvcked up).

Trump's American First is a re-alignment and you see that in immigration too with proposed means testing to get in here
    President Obama was your best since Roosevelt, but was constantly sabotaged by the insane racists, as you know, and now you've got a senile clown who encourages everything bad about the USA. Trump beats his hollow chest occasionally, but he seldom remembers why.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iolo For This Post:

Althea (12-16-2017)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

it didn't design the poll you moron,it reported on it

dont get pissed at me because you post crap and it gets pointed out

8. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

Althea (12-16-2017)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

1000 person samples are not big enough to make meaningful inferences. For this population size the minimum sample is over 3000
    https://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    1000 person samples are not big enough to make meaningful inferences. For this population size the minimum sample is over 3000
    Plus...online poll where people can vote as often as they wish.

And it was conducted by Christian nutjobs.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-16-2017), tinfoil (12-16-2017)

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,435 Times in 2,073 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 172 Times in 170 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    I can set up a poll to achieve any result I want, simply by creating loaded questions.

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    President Obama was your best since Roosevelt, but was constantly sabotaged by the insane racists, as you know, and now you've got a senile clown who encourages everything bad about the USA. Trump beats his hollow chest occasionally, but he seldom remembers why.
    racism had nothing to do with anything -especially Obama's foreign policy..

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

@ post 1

I can't speak for all liberals, but the word "patriotism" is, in some ways, just a code for nationalism. It is a word that has been used, abused, and employed for nefarious reasons by people from Hitler to Stalin. It has commonly been a word used to manipulate people, to start unnecessary wars (or we might see mushroom clouds!).

People who serve their community, who have their community and their nation's best interests at heart, humanitarians, are the people that should be held up as models. Not people who think the world patriotism somehow gives them a sense of false bravado and moral superiority.

"I have already several times expressed the thought that in our day the feeling of patriotism is an unnatural, irrational, and harmful feeling, and a cause of a great part of the ills from which mankind is suffering, and that, consequently, this feeling should not be cultivated, as is now being done, but should, on the contrary, be suppressed and eradicated by all means available to rational men. Yet, strange to say – though it is undeniable that the universal armaments and destructive wars which are ruining the peoples result from that one feeling – all my arguments showing the backwardness, anachronism, and harmfulness of patriotism have been met, and are still met, either by silence, by intentional misinterpretation, or by a strange unvarying reply to the effect that only bad patriotism (Jingoism or Chauvinism) is evil, but that real good patriotism is a very elevated moral feeling, to condemn which is not only irrational but wicked....What this real, good patriotism consists in, we are never told; or, if anything is said about it, instead of explanation we get declamatory, inflated phrases, or, finally, some other conception is substituted for patriotism – something which has nothing in common with the patriotism we all know, and from the results of which we all suffer so severely."
    -- Leo Tolstoy

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-16-2017), Phantasmal (12-16-2017), TTQ64 (12-16-2017)

16. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Why do you think they support black NFL players spitting on the flag.
    Keep changing the names. It doesn't change the meaning.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

17. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    @ post 1

I can't speak for all liberals, but the word "patriotism" is, in some ways, just a code for nationalism. It is a word that has been used, abused, and employed for nefarious reasons by people from Hitler to Stalin. It has commonly been a word used to manipulate people, to start unnecessary wars (or we might see mushroom clouds!).

People who serve their community, who have their community and their nation's best interests at heart, humanitarians, are the people that should be held up as models. Not people who think the world patriotism somehow gives them a sense of false bravado and moral superiority.
    this isn't Germany post WWI or jingoism. Nationalism is the way of the world..adapt or get left behind
    I don't know how you were diverted / You were perverted too
    I don't know how you were inverted / No one alerted you

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    @ post 1

To be 'patriotic' only requires one to fly a (Chinese made) American flag from the window of your vehicle.

Yes..the term was used by Bushco against anyone who spoke out against the Iraq invasion, during his lead up to war

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-16-2017), Cypress (12-16-2017), domer76 (12-16-2017), Phantasmal (12-16-2017)

20. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Any sense of patriotism or love for my country instantly evaporated as soon as it allowed a Nazi to become its leader.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

21. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

TTQ64 (12-16-2017)

22. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

this isn't Germany post WWI or jingoism. Nationalism is the way of the world..adapt or get left behind
    Nazis were nationalists, in their most extreme form.

It is not a very far jump from the nationalism of Trump supporters, to the kind of rightwing nationalism that history shows us over and over leads to conflict, xenophobia, and even war.

I am not impressed by people who crow about patriotism and nationalism. I am impressed by humanitarians, and people who serve their communities without getting on a roof and crowing about patriotism. Didn't some of our nation's great founders warn against the siren song of extremist patriotism and nationalism?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Althea (12-16-2017), christiefan915 (12-16-2017), Phantasmal (12-16-2017)