Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Could Be the Beginning of the End of America's National Nightmare

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,482 Times in 9,081 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default Alabama Could Be the Beginning of the End of America's National Nightmare

Let's hope so, the 2018 mid-term's will tell?!!

Trump and his ilk have just been delivered their most powerful repudiation to date.

Common sense and decency have prevailed in Alabama. It was a vote not just against sexual abuse but also against racism and against those who would ride roughshod over our democratic institutions.

Yes, the margin was small, and Roy Moore was the worst candidate Republicans could possibly have dredged up. But remember, this is Alabama – where Democrats are hated, where minority votes are suppressed, where Trump won overwhelmingly last November.

In the most Trumpian of all states, Trump has been delivered the most powerful repudiation to date. First it was Virginia; now, Alabama. I’d like to think this is a precursor of what’s to come next November – the beginning of the end of the nightmare.

Today Alabama demonstrated that America is better than Trump, and better than House and Senate Republicans who have jumped into the swamp Trump has created. Congratulations, Doug Jones. Congratulations, Alabama. Congratulations, America.

By Robert Reich
    Last edited by signalmankenneth; 12-13-2017 at 10:40 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

evince (12-13-2017), katzgar (12-13-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    Let's hope so, the 2018 mid-turn's will tell?!!

Trump and his ilk have just been delivered their most powerful repudiation to date.

Common sense and decency have prevailed in Alabama. It was a vote not just against sexual abuse but also against racism and against those who would ride roughshod over our democratic institutions.

Yes, the margin was small, and Roy Moore was the worst candidate Republicans could possibly have dredged up. But remember, this is Alabama – where Democrats are hated, where minority votes are suppressed, where Trump won overwhelmingly last November.

In the most Trumpian of all states, Trump has been delivered the most powerful repudiation to date. First it was Virginia; now, Alabama. I’d like to think this is a precursor of what’s to come next November – the beginning of the end of the nightmare.

Today Alabama demonstrated that America is better than Trump, and better than House and Senate Republicans who have jumped into the swamp Trump has created. Congratulations, Doug Jones. Congratulations, Alabama. Congratulations, America.

By Robert Reich
    The national nightmare ended on January 20, 2017 at noon when yet another unqualified black in a government job left.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Between last month's election & yesterday, hope has been restored.

'18 midterms are going to be interesting. The Senate is set up for big GOP gains, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dems took the majority - which would be the equivalent of a major landslide given the competitive seats.

The House could also go Dem; they'll pick up seats without a doubt. Enthusiasm is through the roof on the left right now.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

evince (12-13-2017), signalmankenneth (12-13-2017)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post

'18 midterms are going to be interesting. The Senate is set up for big GOP gains, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dems took the majority - which would be the equivalent of a major landslide given the competitive seats.

The House could also go Dem; they'll pick up seats without a doubt. Enthusiasm is through the roof on the left right now.
    So basically you can claim you're right either way.

Yawn

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yaya View Post
    So basically you can claim you're right either way.

Yawn
    That's stuff you care about. It's all about "gotchas" and claiming you're right in Yurt world.

I care about politics.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

evince (12-13-2017)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

how is the Senate set up for big GOP gains? I get that the majority of the seats are held by Dems, but how many are really up for grabs?

Also... what makes you say enthusiasm is through the roof?

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    how is the Senate set up for big GOP gains? I get that the majority of the seats are held by Dems, but how many are really up for grabs?

Also... what makes you say enthusiasm is through the roof?
    To the 1st question: the GOP is defending 9 seats, and Democrats are defending 25. Only one Republican seat is in a state carried by Clinton. 10 Dem seats are in states carried by Trump. It's the best landscape for Republicans - on paper - in many years.

Enthusiasm has been high since the election last year. We saw it in the turnouts from this past November & yesterday, but I think it's most evident in the recruitment of candidates for Democrats. In most regions, it's basically unprecedented.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's stuff you care about. It's all about "gotchas" and claiming you're right in Yurt world.

I care about politics.
    You're obsessed with this Yurt fellow. At least you don't deny I'm right about you. One less lie you've told today.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're obsessed with this Yurt fellow. At least you don't deny I'm right about you. One less lie you've told today.
    I don't lie, and I don't know what you mean about being "right" about me. I'm discussing politics, on a political message board. I'm not trying to set myself up for told ya so's all the time - that's projection on your part.

Maybe you should give the old "discussing politics" thing a try sometime, instead of trolling everyone.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't lie, and I don't know what you mean about being "right" about me. I'm discussing politics, on a political message board. I'm not trying to set myself up for told ya so's all the time - that's projection on your part.

Maybe you should give the old "discussing politics" thing a try sometime, instead of trolling everyone.
    Discussing politics like you are in the above post?

Self awareness, get some.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Discussing politics like you are in the above post?

Self awareness, get some.
    No - I was responding to your trolling in that post. I was discussing politics in my post prior to that, in my response to SF.

I'd be surprised if you could produce even one thing you posted today that was strictly about politics, like that post is.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No - I was responding to your trolling in that post. I was discussing politics in my post prior to that, in my response to SF.

I'd be surprised if you could produce even one thing you posted today that was strictly about politics, like that post is.
    Still posting about politics

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

To the 1st question: the GOP is defending 9 seats, and Democrats are defending 25. Only one Republican seat is in a state carried by Clinton. 10 Dem seats are in states carried by Trump. It's the best landscape for Republicans - on paper - in many years.

Enthusiasm has been high since the election last year. We saw it in the turnouts from this past November & yesterday, but I think it's most evident in the recruitment of candidates for Democrats. In most regions, it's basically unprecedented.
    Thanks... for the first one, I hadn't looked yet to see where the seats were.

I think yesterday is hard to extrapolate. The turnout was high for a special election at 25% (or so)... but not sure that is due to anything other than Moore being a perv and Dems coming out to stop him.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Thanks... for the first one, I hadn't looked yet to see where the seats were.

I think yesterday is hard to extrapolate. The turnout was high for a special election at 25% (or so)... but not sure that is due to anything other than Moore being a perv and Dems coming out to stop him.
    I'd agree that you can't form a definitive conclusion, but I think it's a promising sign for Dems. And a lot of my conclusion about enthusiasm is anecdotal stuff, but it's enough for me (along w/ the candidate recruitment factor) to think that it could be a major factor in '18. I think like others have said, Democrats & those on the left have a pretty visible reminder of what can happen when you decide to sit an election out w/ Trump in office.