Members banned from this thread: The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Boris The Animal, MAGA MAN, CFM, Cancel 2018.2, Русский агент, PraiseKek, TOP, Eagle_Eye, excommunicated, countryboy, AnnieOakley and Tommatthews

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Has The Worst Poverty In The Developed World

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    "Our bigger question concerns whether it’s significant that a lot of poor counties are located in red states. There’s reason for at least a bit of skepticism.

For starters, the list is dominated by rural areas. Generally speaking, rural areas have a lower cost of living, so the small income you make in a poor, rural Texas county is going to go further than it would if you lived in a poor, urban area like Detroit or Camden, N.J. This raises questions about how comparatively disadvantaged poor Americans are in rural and urban areas.

Also, rural areas are areas where Republicans tend to do well electorally. By contrast, impoverished areas of big cities are big enough population-wise to be balanced by more affluent neighborhoods, and these poor urban areas are often (though not always) in blue states.

It’s also worth pointing out that many of the counties on the list are located in Appalachia, particularly in such states as Kentucky, West Virginia, Mississippi and Georgia. That’s a region that has suffered economically for generations -- long predating the time when Republicans took over from Democrats in most elected offices.

In Appalachia, "it’s clear there’s a regional problem, born of isolation, geographic and political; exploitation, of timber and coal; and poor education," said Al Cross, director of the Institute for Rural Journalism and Community Issues at the University of Kentucky.

Finally, there’s an eccentricity that shaped both of the top-100 lists. Each is dominated by three states: Texas, Georgia and Kentucky. What ties together these three states? They have a lot of counties. In fact, these three states rank first, second and third on the list of states that have the most counties. Texas has 254, Georgia 159 and Kentucky 120.

This means that these three states have lots of rural, small-population counties, so they take up a disproportionate share of the spots on these lists. On each list, these three states collectively account for more than 40 percent of the counties listed.

Importantly, each of these three states are red states. If some of the bigger blue states had been sliced into as many counties as Texas, Georgia and Kentucky were, some of those blue-state counties might have been poor and rural, and that could have changed the complexion of the list. As it is, blue states tend to have smaller numbers of counties. New York has 62, California has 57, Washington state has 39, Oregon has 36, New Jersey has 21 and Massachusetts has just 14."

exactly as I suspected... not adjusted for cost of living.
    Rural counties are identified in the study and accounted for as having lower income and opportunity.

The bigger question, in my opinion, is what are republicans doing about the poverty of states and counties they control. What are they doing to help the residents?

Are you of the opinion that the plutocrat only tax plan they're trying to pass is going to benefit those residents?

Are you of the opinion that attacking healthcare and affordable housing benefits the poor in red states?

Can you explain what polices that republicans champion addresses poverty and the poor in poor ass states like Alabama?
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Re-read what I responded to BAC. Owl was speaking about deplorables. She was calling Republicans racist. I posted a counter response from The Root about racism in the Democratic Party. I was not the one who brought race into the conversation. If me responding to her in showing Democratic racism bothers you or is offensive then fair enough. But please be accurate and don't lie. I responded, I did not introduce.
    Regardless of whether you introduced it or not, you responded with supposed racism within the Democratic Party. My question to you was simple .. and the truthful answer backed up exactly what Owl was saying. You wouldn't answer because you knew what the answer would be. There is decidedly no question that the Republican Party and a great many, if not most, republicans are racist indeed. How do you dispute that when you sit on this board full of racists .. everyone of them a republican?

This isn't the first time I've had to try to force a truthful answer out of you .. and that's a problem.

Either we debate honestly, or let's not debate at all.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    Rural counties are identified in the study and accounted for as having lower income and opportunity.

The bigger question, in my opinion, is what are republicans doing about the poverty of states and counties they control. What are they doing to help the residents?

Are you of the opinion that the plutocrat only tax plan they're trying to pass is going to benefit those residents?

Are you of the opinion that attacking healthcare and affordable housing benefits the poor in red states?

Can you explain what polices that republicans champion addresses poverty and the poor in poor ass states like Alabama?
    1) the housing is already affordable in those red states
    2) Yes, the tax plan should help most of the lower and middle income families. The exception is those that already pay no income taxes.
    3) attacking healthcare? Health care used to be affordable. That was before the left started trying to control it. It used to be that people could get affordable coverage... but now, especially after obamacare, they cannot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

TOP (12-11-2017)

5. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Regardless of whether you introduced it or not, you responded with supposed racism within the Democratic Party. My question to you was simple .. and the truthful answer backed up exactly what Owl was saying. You wouldn't answer because you knew what the answer would be. There is decidedly no question that the Republican Party and a great many, if not most, republicans are racist indeed. How do you dispute that when you sit on this board full of racists .. everyone of them a republican?

This isn't the first time I've had to try to force a truthful answer out of you .. and that's a problem.

Please don't say after what you just pulled. You lost your shit yesterday because you said I started talking about race. Now you are moving the goalpost to say it doesn't matter if I started it or not because you found out I didn't start it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (12-11-2017)

7. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

1) the housing is already affordable in those red states
    2) Yes, the tax plan should help most of the lower and middle income families. The exception is those that already pay no income taxes.
    3) attacking healthcare? Health care used to be affordable. That was before the left started trying to control it. It used to be that people could get affordable coverage... but now, especially after obamacare, they cannot.
    I'll address all 3 .. but let's start with healthcare. When was healthcare 'affordable' before Obamacare when in fact, healthcare was THE biggest cause for bankruptcy?

How Obamacare Helped Slash Personal Bankruptcy by 50%

As legislators and the executive branch renew their efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act this week, they might want to keep in mind a little-known financial consequence of the ACA: Since its adoption, far fewer Americans have taken the extreme step of filing for personal bankruptcy.

Filings have dropped about 50%, from 1,536,799 in 2010 to 770,846 in 2016 (see chart, below). Those years also represent the time frame when the ACA took effect. Although courts never ask people to declare why they’re filing, many bankruptcy and legal experts agree that medical bills had been a leading cause of personal bankruptcy before public healthcare coverage expanded under the ACA. Unlike other causes of debt, medical bills are often unexpected, involuntary, and large.
    http://time.com/money/4765443/obamac...uptcy-decline/

Affordable for who?

8. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll address all 3 .. but let's start with healthcare. When was healthcare 'affordable' before Obamacare when in fact, healthcare was THE biggest cause for bankruptcy?

How Obamacare Helped Slash Personal Bankruptcy by 50%

As legislators and the executive branch renew their efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act this week, they might want to keep in mind a little-known financial consequence of the ACA: Since its adoption, far fewer Americans have taken the extreme step of filing for personal bankruptcy.

Filings have dropped about 50%, from 1,536,799 in 2010 to 770,846 in 2016 (see chart, below). Those years also represent the time frame when the ACA took effect. Although courts never ask people to declare why they’re filing, many bankruptcy and legal experts agree that medical bills had been a leading cause of personal bankruptcy before public healthcare coverage expanded under the ACA. Unlike other causes of debt, medical bills are often unexpected, involuntary, and large.
    http://time.com/money/4765443/obamac...uptcy-decline/

Affordable for who?
    You are seriously comparing bankruptcy filings from just after the financial crisis to last year? Yeah, no shock they went down. Especially given all the money the Fed pumped into the markets.

9. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,065 Times in 14,550 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,389 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    An area that has raw sewage running into the street at least contains it to that area. How about the real sewage problems? That affect many, many people and the environment. Here, let me show you how high tax states are no better. These are just two examples. Plenty others out there if you want to actually google them.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...414-story.html

https://www.politico.com/states/new-...-hudson-010478
    I checked the taxes in your state. You have a flat income tax? From the charts I read, your rates are about the same as Alabama.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

10. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,065 Times in 14,550 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,389 Times in 1,307 Posts

You are seriously comparing bankruptcy filings from just after the financial crisis to last year? Yeah, no shock they went down. Especially given all the money the Fed pumped into the markets.
    QEs had nothing to do with allaying personal bankruptcies. It was a giveaway to the banks, in order to keep them liquid. They still refused to loan money in the early years of Obama's tenure.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

11. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    QEs had nothing to do with allaying personal bankruptcies. It was a giveaway to the banks, in order to keep them liquid. They still refused to loan money in the early years of Obama's tenure.
    I did not say they directly allayed bankruptcies. But by pumping Trillions into the market, it boosted the market and the overall economy picked up again. when you have an improving economy, you tend to see a decline in bankruptcies.

12. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Please don't say after what you just pulled. You lost your shit yesterday because you said I started talking about race. Now you are moving the goalpost to say it doesn't matter if I started it or not because you found out I didn't start it.
    What I pulled? That's idiotic.

You refused to answer a simple question .. a tactic you've employed before. You DID talk about race, but you only wanted to do that where it denigrated democrats. Moving the goalposts my ass .. you ran from answering the question.

If you can't agree with that very OBVIOUS conclusion .. then let's not pretend to engage in anything remotely considered to be debate.

13. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm comparing bankruptcies from decades ago ..

Do you see the financial crises on that chart?

Bankruptcy due to medical bills have been a serious problem long before the crisis of 2007.

Study highlights rise in US healthcare costs since 1980
    https://ehrintelligence.com/news/stu...ts-since-1980/

Why Americans Are Drowning in Medical Debt
    Healthcare is the number-one cause of personal bankruptcy and is responsible for more collections than credit cards.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...l-debt/381163/

Again, exactly when was healthcare affordable?

14. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

a racist calling me a racist,
    you repugnant excuse for a man
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

15. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

What I pulled? That's idiotic.

You refused to answer a simple question .. a tactic you've employed before. You DID talk about race, but you only wanted to do that where it denigrated democrats. Moving the goalposts my ass .. you ran from answering the question.

If you can't agree with that very OBVIOUS conclusion .. then let's not pretend to engage in anything remotely considered to be debate.
    BAC, if you would like a debate over which party you feel is more racist please start a thread I would be glad to participate.

But I wasn't going to derail this thread because youwanted to have it here. And if it bothers you that someone points out racism in the democratic party then so be it. You may give all white people a pass for being racist because they vote Democratic but clearly not everyone else does.

16. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

exactly, our resident racist blackascoal thinks Obama was the catch all end all. All good is him and all bad was whomever was before or after him.
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

17. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

BAC, if you would like a debate over which party you feel is more racist please start a thread I would be glad to participate.

But I wasn't going to derail this thread because youwanted to have it here. And if it bothers you that someone points out racism in the democratic party then so be it. You may give all white people a pass for being racist because they vote Democratic but clearly not everyone else does.
    But you had no problem 'derailing' the thread with a post about supposed racism among democrats. You didn't hesitate by saying that you weren't going to derail the thread then.

It bothers YOU when YOUR party gets called out for the racism that fuels it .. then you run and start looking for any minutia to hide behind.

Don't worry about it. Serious conversation appears too difficult for you.