Members banned from this thread: The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Boris The Animal, MAGA MAN, CFM, Cancel 2018.2, Русский агент, PraiseKek, TOP, Eagle_Eye, excommunicated, countryboy, AnnieOakley and Tommatthews

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Has The Worst Poverty In The Developed World

1. #121 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    You cited NYC for some reason? So MA has areas with raw sewage running into the streets, and does nothing about it?
    An area that has raw sewage running into the street at least contains it to that area. How about the real sewage problems? That affect many, many people and the environment. Here, let me show you how high tax states are no better. These are just two examples. Plenty others out there if you want to actually google them.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...414-story.html

https://www.politico.com/states/new-...-hudson-010478

2. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Why do you keep repeating this? It is not true. You can click and sort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_poverty_rate
    fwiw, here's the UC Davis paper on the Supplemental Poverty Measure and why it was developed. The current/old measure was created I believe in the '50's and leaves much to be desired. Cost of living being the biggest one as you can't live in the real world and not have that be a factor.

The Supplemental Poverty Measure: A Better Measure for Poverty in America?

https://poverty.ucdavis.edu/policy-b...overty-america

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-11-2017)

4. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    working on it. At least NATO countries are kicking in more since Trump made a big deal of it.

Not that it helps our worldwide presence costs,
    but any less money sucked into duplicative Cold War 2 spending is my metric of cutting military spending.

* just how many tank battalions do we really need in Poland? *

I know facts aren't your strong suit but it's actually Obama that made a big deal out of it you're just sucking for Trump's pandering. You're a naive little boy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

blackascoal (12-11-2017)

6. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Louisiana loves Alabama. Takes some of the pressure off

7. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

blackascoal (12-11-2017)

8. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Poor Americans would lose billions under Senate GOP tax bill
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/27/news...oor/index.html

GOP tax proposal would gut affordable housing, state officials say
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/0...officials-say/

Republicans here whining about 'liberal policies' and 'affordable housing' is a joke.

There is no mystery about what republicans think about the poor, and poor states and counties under their control don't get a pass.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

9. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    Hasn't got a damn thing to do with the fact that republicans control the poorest states and counties in America.

90% of the poorest states, 97% of the poorest counties.

where is their data from? Is that list adjusted for cost of living?

10. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Poor Americans would lose billions under Senate GOP tax bill
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/27/news...oor/index.html

GOP tax proposal would gut affordable housing, state officials say
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/0...officials-say/

Republicans here whining about 'liberal policies' and 'affordable housing' is a joke.

There is no mystery about what republicans think about the poor, and poor states and counties under their control don't get a pass.
    It's not a joke BAC. Most housing policies are made at the local level with some state input. There are reasons why California and Texas have such differing home prices and it's because of laws in the state.

It's hard reading that mercurynews article because anyone who lives here and works in the industry knows it is a sham. If the tax breaks were so great we'd have affordable housing in the state already. We don't. We don't because of the laws we pass and Nimbyism. The tax breaks being referred to are such a minute percentage of housing in the state it is almost negligible.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (12-11-2017)

12. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    We went through this yesterday but the chart is about counties. So rural counties stand out because they don't have the adjacent wealth that urban poverty areas do. And no it doesn't adjust for cost of living. And it's states that voted for Romney in 2012 so it says nothing about state or local level leadership.

From a partisan perspective it makes for an excellent meme but when you dig into it doesn't stand well on its own.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (12-11-2017)

14. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    The easiest answer is here without my having to dredge through data from multiple sources, including census.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...es-red-states/
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

15. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It's not a joke BAC. Most housing policies are made at the local level with some state input. There are reasons why California and Texas have such differing home prices and it's because of laws in the state.

It's hard reading that mercurynews article because anyone who lives here and works in the industry knows it is a sham. If the tax breaks were so great we'd have affordable housing in the state already. We don't. We don't because of the laws we pass and Nimbyism. The tax breaks being referred to are such a minute percentage of housing in the state it is almost negligible.
    Whatever dude.

16. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Whatever dude.
    Ok. I'm open to listening if you want to share where you believe i'm wrong. But like I said, living here for 30 years and working in the real estate industry this is what we discuss. You are definitely free to not have to hear it but this is reality.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (12-11-2017)

18. #132 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

The easiest answer is here without my having to dredge through data from multiple sources, including census.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...es-red-states/
    "Our bigger question concerns whether it’s significant that a lot of poor counties are located in red states. There’s reason for at least a bit of skepticism.

For starters, the list is dominated by rural areas. Generally speaking, rural areas have a lower cost of living, so the small income you make in a poor, rural Texas county is going to go further than it would if you lived in a poor, urban area like Detroit or Camden, N.J. This raises questions about how comparatively disadvantaged poor Americans are in rural and urban areas.

Also, rural areas are areas where Republicans tend to do well electorally. By contrast, impoverished areas of big cities are big enough population-wise to be balanced by more affluent neighborhoods, and these poor urban areas are often (though not always) in blue states.

It’s also worth pointing out that many of the counties on the list are located in Appalachia, particularly in such states as Kentucky, West Virginia, Mississippi and Georgia. That’s a region that has suffered economically for generations -- long predating the time when Republicans took over from Democrats in most elected offices.

In Appalachia, "it’s clear there’s a regional problem, born of isolation, geographic and political; exploitation, of timber and coal; and poor education," said Al Cross, director of the Institute for Rural Journalism and Community Issues at the University of Kentucky.

Finally, there’s an eccentricity that shaped both of the top-100 lists. Each is dominated by three states: Texas, Georgia and Kentucky. What ties together these three states? They have a lot of counties. In fact, these three states rank first, second and third on the list of states that have the most counties. Texas has 254, Georgia 159 and Kentucky 120.

This means that these three states have lots of rural, small-population counties, so they take up a disproportionate share of the spots on these lists. On each list, these three states collectively account for more than 40 percent of the counties listed.

Importantly, each of these three states are red states. If some of the bigger blue states had been sliced into as many counties as Texas, Georgia and Kentucky were, some of those blue-state counties might have been poor and rural, and that could have changed the complexion of the list. As it is, blue states tend to have smaller numbers of counties. New York has 62, California has 57, Washington state has 39, Oregon has 36, New Jersey has 21 and Massachusetts has just 14."

exactly as I suspected... not adjusted for cost of living.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

TOP (12-11-2017)

20. #133 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Ok. I'm open to listening if you want to share where you believe i'm wrong. But like I said, living here for 30 years and working in the real estate industry this is what we discuss. You are definitely free to not have to hear it but this is reality.
    No thanks. Why would I want to do that knowing that you won't answer real questions .. even when you introduce them into conversation.

I've been down this road too many times with you. No thanks.

21. #134 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

"affordable housing", is that code for "I pay your rent?"
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

TOP (12-11-2017)

23. #135 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No thanks. Why would I want to do that knowing that you won't answer real questions .. even when you introduce them into conversation.

I've been down this road too many times with you. No thanks.
    Re-read what I responded to BAC. Owl was speaking about deplorables. She was calling Republicans racist. I posted a counter response from The Root about racism in the Democratic Party. I was not the one who brought race into the conversation. If me responding to her in showing Democratic racism bothers you or is offensive then fair enough. But please be accurate and don't lie. I responded, I did not introduce.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (12-11-2017)