Members banned from this thread: Cypress, blackascoal, evince, domer76, Nomad and katzgar

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The U.S. Media Yesterday Suffered its Most Humiliating Debacle in Ages

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,037 Times in 14,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Exactly. There were actual Journalist back then. They would (gasp) check resources, verify the information, recheck it before even think about printing it or talking about it. One never knew a news anchors political affiliation either. They just reported new, no bias. Now they just report rumor and wear their political affiliation on their sleeves.
    That was before Ted Turner had the genius to create 24 hour news. He got lucky with Desert Storm, and CNN exploded. Soon, many followed suit.

Sure...there might have been more integrity in the old days, but much of the information was incomplete, or what the govt. wanted to be released.

If you have the desire to sift through the bullshit, we are a much more informed public now, which Washington hates.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-10-2017)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    That was before Ted Turner had the genius to create 24 hour news. He got lucky with Desert Storm, and CNN exploded. Soon, many followed suit.

Sure...there might have been more integrity in the old days, but much of the information was incomplete, or what the govt. wanted to be released.

If you have the desire to sift through the bullshit, we are a much more informed public now, which Washington hates.
    Gotta do a lot of sifting with that MSM bunch lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Gotta do a lot of sifting with that MSM bunch lol.
    The genius behind the selling of 'news', is that like every other product....people buy what people want.

So most intelligent people (read...not Fox News aficionados) know that they're just getting affirmation when they tune in...not necessarily news.

Those who are embarrassed to argue false/concocted events, typically view a variety of sources before making moronic statements about 'deep state', 'fake news', etc.

Lest we forget the infamous claim by Cockwork Orange...'I love the under educated'.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,194 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post

Woodward & Berstein made mistakes while reportering on Watergate, Nixon attscked the media, Trump is following the Nixon playbook.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
    Wow fake news is coming out so much these days I missed this one.

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/09/...what-happened/
    A couple of things

1) there is unabashed unanimity in the loathing of Trump and not so much what he says or does although that is part of it, but because of WHO he is. What I mean by that is that although he is loaded, he hasn’t come from the “right” place. He didn’t advance the way people are supposed to. He upended a lot of the conventional wisdom. They cannot allow the populace to actually think a normal anti establishment non government type can be in charge. No. Running government requires “special” skills and double speak. Trump blew that to pieces. He was never part of the club. Yeah they say they hated Bush, but he was always part of the club.

2) the media more than being biased is just lazy. They don’t do the hard work like their predecessors did back in the day. Some never leave the office. So it is conceivable that in the pressure of the 24 hour news cycle they just saw it and ran with it. Remember like JPP libtards, they are predisposed to think the worst of Trump

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

the fake news of the media is well documented at this point. how do multiple independent sources get a date wrong? do you know the chances of that happening" astronomically slim. The only way that happens is if 1) CNN lies about having "multiple sources" when really its just "some guy... or 2) multiple sources are coordinated a propaganda campaign.
    Don’t underestimate their laziness and predilection to assuming the worst of Trump

As far as they are concerned he is guilty so why should they double check.

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxcahontas View Post
    A couple of things

1) there is unabashed unanimity in the loathing of Trump
    No, that was quite enough. Thx.

OK I won't diss you just like that because you actually had a take. A twisted and BS one, but a take nonetheless.

Implicit in your take is an assumption that an outsider or maverick cannot be a darling or accepted by the status quo. They can and do, frequently.
    That's an apology that does not cover Trump's warts. He is so covered with them you can't make him out. It's not just that he is a neuveau riche classless ugly buffoon,
    he is also a jerk, jackass, incompetent loudmouth, egomaniac, philistine and boorish clown. He shouldl be unelectable with even two of these traits.
    Last edited by Micawber; 12-10-2017 at 06:53 PM.

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why doesn't Trump ever lie in a way that isn't bigoted towards Mexicans or Muslims? That sure doesn't seem like a mistake to me. All his lies are bigoted towards them.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    Woodward & Berstein made mistakes while reportering on Watergate, Nixon attscked the media, Trump is following the Nixon playbook.
    Yes. I was listening to Public Radio the other day. There was evidently some gross mistake in the Watergate reporting, and everyone claimed the investigation was officially doomed.

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    I remember Watergate pretty well, and I don't remember anything like this level of journalistic carelessness back then. The constant stream of 'bombshells' that turn into duds is doing much more to damage the media than anything Trump could manage. [WSJ columnist Walter Mead on Twitter]

Pretty much exactly right, Walter.
    Trump could kill your entire family in front of your eyes, and you'd go up to him and shake his hand and thank him. Then you'd offer him oral sex. There is nothing he can do you would no praise him for. You would sacrifice your family to the dictator you worship so much. You are incapable of judging what is and is not a bombshell.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

the fake news of the media is well documented at this point. how do multiple independent sources get a date wrong? do you know the chances of that happening" astronomically slim. The only way that happens is if 1) CNN lies about having "multiple sources" when really its just "some guy... or 2) multiple sources are coordinated a propaganda campaign.
    How do multiple right wing media sources post things like Obama being born in Kenya? How does Trump still believe this? Because you're all demented. These are left wing media sources, they have nothing to apologize for.

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

how are so called "putan" trolls desperate when it's the media always putting out fake news? there is a very good chance democrats are spreading deliberate lies
    Are you mad that we're getting back at you and using your own tactics against you finally? I'm glad that we're reporting every possible fake thing about Trump with no filter. That's how it should be. Trump has no filter, why should the left alone handicap themselves? It is you have forced our hand.

14. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxcahontas View Post
    Don’t underestimate their laziness and predilection to assuming the worst of Trump

As far as they are concerned he is guilty so why should they double check.
    it's not just about double checking though. Think about it. You ahve two different sources, that presumbably don't know the other is leaking. Having multiple sources allows one to cross reference and generally prevent this type of thing happening. For CNN to still have the wrong info, they are either lying about how many sources they have, or both sources "misread" something basic, or they lied.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

15. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Rose View Post
    How do multiple right wing media sources post things like Obama being born in Kenya? How does Trump still believe this? Because you're all demented. These are left wing media sources, they have nothing to apologize for.
    the difference is those rag sites is that they are recognized as rags. However WApost, nytimes, CNN etc all supposedly have credibility. If they are doing the same thing as those rag sites, then they should start to be put in the same garbage category.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

16. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

the difference is those rag sites is that they are recognized as rags. However WApost, nytimes, CNN etc all supposedly have credibility. If they are doing the same thing as those rag sites, then they should start to be put in the same garbage category.
    My opinion is this:

1. These papers have a left-wing bias

2. They should stop trying to hide their nature as left-wing newspapers and just accept that the environment has changed

I think that we were basically forced onto this path by the fact the right wing alternative news sources emerged. All the right wingers went over to them, and then the traditional news sources were left with just a left wing audience. It was natural that in the long run they would drift left. They should stop trying to hold on to that legacy of living in a pre-ideological world, and just proclaim themselves the standard bearers of the left. I see no problem with this.