Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The need to reconsider the Electoral College (and it has nothing to do with Trump)

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Yes, I know. That's why we have Trump as president. Because leftist loons like you "don't give a fuck" what country bumpkins like me think.

Please quote Jefferson, in his own words, saying such.

How exactly do you "rewrite the Constitution? What mechanism, exactly? Please be specific.

You shouldn't, and I hope you and your ilk continue to act like the entitled petulant children that you are.
    Ever had a history class dummy?

Letter to James Madison

Thomas Jefferson
    Paris
    September 06, 1789

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/l...es-madison-17/

“Each generation” should have the “solemn opportunity” to update the constitution “every nineteen or twenty years,” thus allowing it to “be handed on, with periodical repairs, from generation to generation, to the end of time.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Got anything else dummy?
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    Are you gonna play word games with me when you know perfectly well what I was saying.....
    Every intell. agency....including the UK, France, Germany, Italy, etc....
    Its obvious that every peon in the world is not what I meant....its not you to bullshit with parsing every word...

Hows that for clarification ?[/SIZE]
    How about you clarify "EVERYBODY" .. which is patently FALSE .. and that includes intelligence agencies.

Iraqi Weapons of Mass Destruction
    Did “Everyone” Agree?
    https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...s-destruction/

Anything else you need clarified?
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

Cypress (12-04-2017), Phantasmal (12-04-2017)

4. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,773 Times in 27,247 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-04-2017), TTQ64 (12-04-2017)

6. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    Really, I have a FACT for you ..

CIA final report; No WMD found in Iraq
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7634313/ns.../#.WiV4nUqnGCo

AND, EVERYONE was NOT saying that Iraq had WMD. EVERYONE did not believe that bullshit.

Do you need quotes, or do you already know that everyone was not saying it?
    See. This is what happens when you don't actually read the news.

That report was from 05. It was written in early 04.

From 04 to 11 we found more than five thousand chemical weapons in Iraq.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yah...135347507.html

The problem is because so much of his stuff was sent to Syria it can't be proven that anything we found was produced by him after the sanctions. But given it has been proven that we found the 500+ munitions that were unaccounted for by UN inspectors after the Gulf War. The ones he said were destroyed and the UN said were not. Coupled with the thousand and some odd convoys we saw go from Iraq into Syria and the biological production vehicles we found (with the absence of autoclaves like I said in my earlier post) it is understandable why every intelligence agency thought he had started his weapons programs up again.

But as a guy that isn't the type to get into other countries business I still say we shouldn't have gone there.

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention. I did Counter Proleferation for a time while I was in the Corps.
    Last edited by Thumper; 12-04-2017 at 11:18 AM.

7. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,194 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

The problem is because so much of his stuff was sent to Syria it can't be proven that anything we found was produced by him after the sanctions. But given it has been proven that we found the 500+ munitions that were unaccounted for by UN inspectors after the Gulf War. The ones he said were destroyed and the UN said were not. Coupled with the thousand and some odd convoys we saw go from Iraq into Syria and the biological production vehicles we found (with the absence of autoclaves like I said in my earlier post) it is understandable why every intelligence agency thought he had started his weapons programs up again.

But as a guy that isn't the type to get into other countries business I still say we shouldn't have gone there.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070104217.html

8. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ending the Electoral College could be done legally and without a constitutional amendment.

The racist right has lied and continues to lie about EVERYTHING.

Americans need to question EVERYTHING they do and say.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

blackascoal (12-04-2017)

10. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ever had a history class dummy?

Letter to James Madison

Thomas Jefferson
    Paris
    September 06, 1789

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/l...es-madison-17/

“Each generation” should have the “solemn opportunity” to update the constitution “every nineteen or twenty years,” thus allowing it to “be handed on, with periodical repairs, from generation to generation, to the end of time.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Got anything else dummy?
    Where does it say "rewrite" in that supposed quote by Jefferson? You do realize Jefferson wasn't the only founding father, right? You realize that alleged sentiment of his wasn't incorporated into the Constitution, right? You see, the founders realized that even country bumpkins should have a voice, unlike leftist loons such as yourself, dummy.

Of course, you didn't even bother answering my question about how exactly we would go about "rewriting" the Constitution. Care to take a stab at it?

11. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

How about you clarify "EVERYBODY" .. which is patently FALSE .. and that includes intelligence agencies.

Iraqi Weapons of Mass Destruction
    Did “Everyone” Agree?
    https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...s-destruction/

Anything else you need clarified?
    Of course disagreements existed in the intelligence community. thats the nature of intelligence....thats been the case since the creation of
    intelligence agency's...theres never been a time that 100% agree on everything..in the end, it always comes down to the probability of their assessments.....

Bill Clinton's quote says it all.....he believed it, Bush believed it, and numerous others believed it....48 different country's joined the
    coalition ..
    Still playing your parsing games.....? You're getting as bad as Thingy and Christiefan....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

12. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention. I did Counter Proleferation for a time while I was in the Corps.
    No disrespect intended, but NO WMD was found in Iraq other than long ago useless chemical weapons that might make you sick if you drink them, but hardly qualified as weapons of mass destruction. Moving WMD is not like moving furniture, it leaves a chemical trail, and had there been massive movement of WMD, it would have been traced.

No disrespect to your service brother, but soldiers on the ground do not know, or are they told everything. My daughter is an E8 .. and believes the less she knows about the politics, they better she can do her job. Soldiers and politics are like oil and water.

13. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    Of course disagreements existed in the intelligence community. thats the nature of intelligence....thats been the case since the creation of
    intelligence agency's...theres never been a time that 100% agree on everything..in the end, it always comes down to the probability of their assessments.....

Bill Clinton's quote says it all.....he believed it, Bush believed it, and numerous others believed it....48 different country's joined the
    coalition ..
    Still playing your parsing games.....? You're getting as bad as Thingy and Christiefan....
    So you're blaming me for your misuse of words.

Everybody was not on board with the assessment that Iraq had WMD .. not by a long shot.

Can we now agree?

14. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No disrespect intended, but NO WMD was found in Iraq other than long ago useless chemical weapons that might make you sick if you drink them, but hardly qualified as weapons of mass destruction. Moving WMD is not like moving furniture, it leaves a chemical trail, and had there been massive movement of WMD, it would have been traced.

No disrespect to your service brother, but soldiers on the ground do not know, or are they told everything. My daughter is an E8 .. and believes the less she knows about the politics, they better she can do her job. Soldiers and politics are like oil and water.
    Political naritive.

I did CP for the Corps and then later FID once that was taken out of our core tasks cause DEVGRU was butt hurt that they weren't the only ones doing it anymore.

Oh. And even improperly sealed munitions can't be traced the way you suggest. You've been watching too many movies.
    The news that hit the stands only talks about the rusty old stuff with speculation about why it wasn't released sooner. It doesn't talk about the other 2k that was found and had only degraded after being improperly stored after we were ready to go in.
    Last edited by Thumper; 12-04-2017 at 11:41 AM.

15. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Political naritive.

I did CP for the Corps and then later FID once that was taken out of our core tasks cause DEVGRU was butt hurt that they weren't the only ones doing it anymore.

The news that hit the stands only talks about the rusty old stuff with speculation about why it wasn't released sooner. It doesn't talk about the other 2k that was found and had only degraded after being improperly stored after we were ready to go in.

As an aside. The lethality of things like mustard is greatly overstated in movies and understated in the media. There are islands that were hit during WWI that are still grossly contaminated.

Problem is that most of the population doesn't understand how these things work.

16. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    "Demographic trends also are straining the American model. Because of the way the Electoral College works, two of the past three presidents first won office while losing the popular vote. And David Birdsell, dean of the school of public and international affairs at Baruch College, notes that by 2040, about 70% of Americans are expected to live in the 15 largest states. They will have only 30 senators representing them, while the remaining 30% of Americans will have 70 senators representing them."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-var...acy-1511193763

Currently, the State of Wyoming has more say in electing a President then the Buffalo, New York metro area which is twice the size of Wyoming in population

Down the road it appears we will not be the representative democracy that the Founding Fathers has imagined
    That's exactly the representative democracy they envisioned.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

17. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Where does it say "rewrite" in that supposed quote by Jefferson? You do realize Jefferson wasn't the only founding father, right? You realize that alleged sentiment of his wasn't incorporated into the Constitution, right? You see, the founders realized that even country bumpkins should have a voice, unlike leftist loons such as yourself, dummy.

Of course, you didn't even bother answering my question about how exactly we would go about "rewriting" the Constitution. Care to take a stab at it?
    Not at all interested in educating a clown.

You asked where Jefferson said it .. I provided that .. you still don't get it. Your stupid ass obviously never had a history class .. but I should teach you?????

Run away dummy .. class over.

18. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Not designed, anticipated, or favored by Founders

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    That's exactly the representative democracy they envisioned.
    The Founders created the Electoral College, but 48 states eventually enacted state winner-take-all laws.

Unable to agree on any particular method for selecting presidential electors, the Founding Fathers left the choice of method exclusively to the states in Article II, Section 1
    “Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors….”
    The U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly characterized the authority of the state legislatures over the manner of awarding their electoral votes as "plenary" and "exclusive."

Neither of the two most important features of the current system of electing the President (namely, universal suffrage, and the 48 state-by-state winner-take-all method) are in the U.S. Constitution. Neither was the choice of the Founders when they went back to their states to organize the nation's first presidential election.

In 1789, in the nation's first election, a majority of the states appointed their presidential electors by appointment by the legislature or by the governor and his cabinet, the people had no vote for President in most states, and in states where there was a popular vote, only men who owned a substantial amount of property could vote, and only three states used the state-by-state winner-take-all method to award electoral votes.

The current winner-take-all method of awarding electoral votes is not in the U.S. Constitution. It was not debated at the Constitutional Convention. It is not mentioned in the Federalist Papers. It was not the Founders’ choice. It was used by only three states in 1789, and all three of them repealed it by 1800. It is not entitled to any special deference based on history or the historical meaning of the words in the U.S. Constitution. The actions taken by the Founding Fathers make it clear that they never gave their imprimatur to the winner-take-all method. The winner-take-all method of awarding electoral votes became dominant only in the 1830s, when most of the Founders had been dead for decades, after the states adopted it, one-by-one, in order to maximize the power of the party in power in each state.

The constitutional wording does not encourage, discourage, require, or prohibit the use of any particular method for awarding a state's electoral votes.

States have the responsibility and constitutional power to make all of their voters relevant in every presidential election and beyond. Now, 38 states, of all sizes, and their voters, because they vote predictably, are politically irrelevant in presidential elections.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toto For This Post:

Cypress (12-04-2017), Mott the Hoople (12-04-2017), Phantasmal (12-04-2017)