Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Alabama or OSU?

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    Yes, I did say that Clemson or Washington would likely not be in the playoffs if they lost their conference games. You left out a line of the post you quoted. The entire post was: "And they lost more. And they lost to a lower team. That it is the only one I mentioned is irrelevant.

OSU is ranked higher and should be in the playoffs. The conference championships matter. Had Clemson or Washington lost their respective conference championships, they would likely not be in the playoffs. "

Penn State had 2 losses. Including a loss to a lesser team. Getting beaten by a unranked team that finished the regular season 8-4 did not look good. But the two losses was the straw that broke the hope for a playoff spot.

Also, this post that supposedly proved that I was in favor of conference championships only looks that way because you selectively edited it.

You intentionally did not quote the entire post, because it would not prove your point. The sentence "OSU is ranked higher and should be in the playoffs" shows that I obviously do not think conference championships matter as much as other factors. Like total losses (along with who they lost to).

The reason I said Clemson and Washington would likely not make the playoffs if they lost their conference championship games was not that the conference title mattered so much. But because they would have 2 losses. Both teams lost a regular season game. And, so far, no team with 2 losses has made the playoffs.
    Your quote related to conference championship didn't include is quite clear. You said conference championships matter, made a statement about Clemson and Washington losing theirs and what it would most likely do to their chances. You included nothing in that quote about 2 losses. The only parameter you included in the quote was related to conference championships. Now when Alabama doesn't make theirs, suddenly it's no big deal to you.

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I never denied talking about my Alabama Crimson Tide. I have been doing that for years in this forum. You are welcome to look back at that as well.
    Then you statement of "Oh, and the board owes you a debt of gratitude. Without you here, no one would know I am a diehard Alabama fan" is a lie. You do well at that and changing your story when proven wrong.

Make up some sort of excuse about that not being what you meant.

3. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Your quote related to conference championship didn't include is quite clear. You said conference championships matter, made a statement about Clemson and Washington losing theirs and what it would most likely do to their chances. You included nothing in that quote about 2 losses. The only parameter you included in the quote was related to conference championships. Now when Alabama doesn't make theirs, suddenly it's no big deal to you.
    I also didn't say that not winning their conference was the reason they would be excluded. While I did say that Ohio State was ranked higher and should have been in the playoffs.

When I went back to verify the quote you posted (and found that you intentionally left out the line about OSU), I saw 4 or 5 posts of mine saying the conference championships were not the benchmark for inclusion in the playoffs. Mott and I have argued this numerous times. So no, I have never maintained that conference championships are a requirement for making the playoffs.

4. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Then you statement of "Oh, and the board owes you a debt of gratitude. Without you here, no one would know I am a diehard Alabama fan" is a lie. You do well at that and changing your story when proven wrong.

Make up some sort of excuse about that not being what you meant.
    The statement was obviously sarcasm. My being a diehard Alabama fan has been well known on this forum for about 10 years.

5. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,127 Times in 33,842 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,082 Times in 4,698 Posts
    Blog Entries

The statement was obviously sarcasm. My being a diehard Alabama fan has been well known on this forum for about 10 years.
    You have been die hard for as long as I have known you and that has been ten years, good grief, has it really been that long!

6. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    You have been die hard for as long as I have known you and that has been ten years, good grief, has it really been that long!
    I don't remember when I first came to JPP. But I do remember Topper giving me shit before the 2007 football season, saying "Bama has not been relevant in years".

It has been a long, strange ride, hasn't it?

7. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,645 Times in 16,576 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

The playoff system does need "tweeked"...I don't think anyone would disagree with that.
    O-H....

8. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    The playoff system does need "tweeked"...I don't think anyone would disagree with that.
    O-H....
    I agree. First, make it more transparent, as far as the criteria used. I favor an 8 team playoff, but I also see that would not solve all the problems.

9. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,127 Times in 33,842 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,082 Times in 4,698 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't remember when I first came to JPP. But I do remember Topper giving me shit before the 2007 football season, saying "Bama has not been relevant in years".

It has been a long, strange ride, hasn't it?
    I miss Topper, crusty old fart that he was and Dixie, too, oh, the good old days.

10. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,645 Times in 16,576 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree. First, make it more transparent, as far as the criteria used. I favor an 8 team playoff, but I also see that would not solve all the problems.
    Maybe not solve, but help.
    Maybe something like the NIT tournament for Football?
    4 teams...with no real criteria in place, is kind of useless.
    And then there's the Big 10...what are people "thinking"? lol
    Ah, for the good old days...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

WinterBorn (12-08-2017)

12. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    I miss Topper, crusty old fart that he was and Dixie, too, oh, the good old days.
    Dixie was always entertaining. Topper was fun.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-08-2017)

14. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I also didn't say that not winning their conference was the reason they would be excluded. While I did say that Ohio State was ranked higher and should have been in the playoffs.

When I went back to verify the quote you posted (and found that you intentionally left out the line about OSU), I saw 4 or 5 posts of mine saying the conference championships were not the benchmark for inclusion in the playoffs. Mott and I have argued this numerous times. So no, I have never maintained that conference championships are a requirement for making the playoffs.
    What a horseshit excuse. You say something, get called out for WHAT you said, then try to step back from your own words.
    You'd make a good Liberal. You act just like they do.

15. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Again, stepping back from YOUR own words.

Just more support of my claim that you'd make a good Liberal. When you get called on something, you try to spin it.

16. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Are you sure you want that? If it happened, you couldn't say something then go back and twist it as if that's not what you said.

17. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What a horseshit excuse. You say something, get called out for WHAT you said, then try to step back from your own words.
    You'd make a good Liberal. You act just like they do.
    Bullshit. You think your quotes prove something because you assume why I said Clemson and Washington probably wouldn't make the playoffs if they lost their conference championships. But other posts in that same thread show my lack of support for the conference champions getting in automatically. The fact that you intentionally omitted my comment about Ohio State (who did not win their division of conference) was ranked higher and should have been in the playoffs shows you know what I am saying is true and hoped I wouldn't notice.