Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Alabama or OSU?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Ohio State played 10 conference games, Alabama 8. It's a joke.
    I'm surprised they put Bama in. But, regardless of the number of conference games, Bama lost only once. And that was to the #6 team by 12. OSU lost 2. One was to a top team. But one was an ugly blowout by an unranked team. That is what cost them the spot.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,243 Times in 13,968 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    I'm surprised they put Bama in. But, regardless of the number of conference games, Bama lost only once. And that was to the #6 team by 12. OSU lost 2. One was to a top team. But one was an ugly blowout by an unranked team. That is what cost them the spot.
    And that loss was to the only top team they played, Ohio played four, beating three

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    And that loss was to the only top team they played, Ohio played four, beating three
    Yep. And if they could've gotten the committee to ignore the 30 point blowout at the hands of a 5 loss Iowa, they would have gotten in. The blowout by Iowa is what cost them the berth.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

This run Alabama has been on is amazing so I take nothing away from them. I just don't like the fact they can play only 8 conference games then teams like Mercer in November and no league Championship game. The Committee is showing its advantageous to schedule weak opponents.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

leaningright (12-03-2017)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This run Alabama has been on is amazing so I take nothing away from them. I just don't like the fact they can play only 8 conference games then teams like Mercer in November and no league Championship game. The Committee is showing its advantageous to schedule weak opponents.
    The number of conference games means something. But not as much as you are claiming.

Alabama played 3 conference games against teams with losing records. Vandy, Arkansas, and TN. They ended the season with records of 5-7, 4-8, and 4-8 respectively.

Ohio State played 5 conference games against teams with losing records. Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, and Illinois. Those teams ended the season with records of 5-7, 4-8, 4-8, 4-8, and 2-10, respectively.

So you will excuse me if I don't act too impressed over their scheduling an extra 4-8 team and a 2-10 team.

In fact, Ohio State played 6 teams that ended up with a losing record. Alabama only played 4 teams with losing records.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The number of conference games means something. But not as much as you are claiming.

Alabama played 3 conference games against teams with losing records. Vandy, Arkansas, and TN. They ended the season with records of 5-7, 4-8, and 4-8 respectively.

Ohio State played 5 conference games against teams with losing records. Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, and Illinois. Those teams ended the season with records of 5-7, 4-8, 4-8, 4-8, and 2-10, respectively.

So you will excuse me if I don't act too impressed over their scheduling an extra 4-8 team and a 2-10 team.

In fact, Ohio State played 6 teams that ended up with a losing record. Alabama only played 4 teams with losing records.
    Conference games are just harder because there is more familiarity. There is a reason that the SEC sticks with 8 conference games and idiots like the Pac 12 play nine (and then of course the CCG). It is advantageous to play less.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,243 Times in 13,968 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

https://www.teamrankings.com/college...ength-by-other

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Conference games are just harder because there is more familiarity. There is a reason that the SEC sticks with 8 conference games and idiots like the Pac 12 play nine (and then of course the CCG). It is advantageous to play less.
    Familiarity doesn't seem to have helped the bottom end of the teams OSU played. 4 of the teams they played (Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, and Illinois) have sucked for years.

Both Maryland and Rutgers have had only 5 winning seasons out of the last 10. Half of the last decade they have lost more than they won.

But Indiana and Illinois would probably kill for that record. Illinois has only had 2 winning seasons in the last 10 years. And those were both 7-6 seasons. And Indiana? One of the conference games you put so much stock in? Has quite a streak going. 2017 marks the 10th consecutive losing season for the Hoosiers. They have lost 65% of their games over the last decade.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yep, they had a tougher schedule. But the difference between a ranking of 12.2 and 9.2 is not a great as the 1 loss to 2 losses, especially when one of the two losses was getting blown out by a 7-5 team. The Iowa loss is what cost them the playoff berth.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Familiarity doesn't seem to have helped the bottom end of the teams OSU played. 4 of the teams they played (Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, and Illinois) have sucked for years.

Both Maryland and Rutgers have had only 5 winning seasons out of the last 10. Half of the last decade they have lost more than they won.

But Indiana and Illinois would probably kill for that record. Illinois has only had 2 winning seasons in the last 10 years. And those were both 7-6 seasons. And Indiana? One of the conference games you put so much stock in? Has quite a streak going. 2017 marks the 10th consecutive losing season for the Hoosiers. They have lost 65% of their games over the last decade.
    There's a big difference between having the 12th game a team plays be a conference game or against a D II school.

The SEC is smart the way they schedule. We are stupid.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Last year Ohio State was given the benefit of and they got buried by Clemson,I think that was part of it

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mason von Mason View Post
    Last year Ohio State was given the benefit of and they got buried by Clemson,I think that was part of it
    Last year they created the precedent that you don't have to win your conference to get in the playoffs.

This year they avoided setting the precedent that a 2 loss team can get in when there are 1 loss teams in the rankings.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 7 Posts

I have a old girlfriend lives in Ohio,she is a huge OSU fan.
    Must be breaking her heart.
    Hope she doesn't do something to herself��

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

UCF Knights are undefeated

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    UCF Knights are undefeated
    Second level,and no defense.
    But that was a great game against Memphis.
    Reminded me of the old American Football League,before the merge