Move to Ohio
    lol....knew you were an idiot.....

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    have you never had a client cancel your listing and then try a FSBO, end up paying a commission to another realtor?....
    I invest in residential property but I've never been a residential broker. I did start my career as a commercial broker

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I invest in residential property but I've never been a residential broker. I did start my career as a commercial broker
    summarize.....listings can be stolen.....

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

summarize.....listings can be stolen.....
    That's an owner choosing to sell a property by themselves. That's not another agent "stealing" a listing from you

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

lol....knew you were an idiot.....
    Aren't you late for your Klan meeting? It's almost 9 pm. Those crosses aren't going to burn themselves, you know?

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

holy crap.....you need better laws......
    I would have been better off with fewer laws.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's an owner choosing to sell a property by themselves. That's not another agent "stealing" a listing from you
    actually you misread the hypothetical.......and there are many ways a listing may be stolen.....

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Aren't you late for your Klan meeting? It's almost 9 pm. Those crosses aren't going to burn themselves, you know?
    don't confuse me with BucKKKle or one of his demmycrat friends......

9. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    So would you agree with the regulations mentioned in the article?
    I'll 100% guarantee you she didn't read the article. She was blessed knowing everything so reading is beneath her.

A lot like Desh she just wants to call people racist. And a lot like Desh her simple mind thinks if you support any type of deregulation you want to live in Somalia. And the ultimate irony of course is she claims people like you and me support institutional racism yet when deregulation reduces it it's still racist because deregulation is racist. It goes without saying she hasn't thought through her positions other than everything is racist. And she will not answer your question

10. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,736 Times in 14,331 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Gotta love your white privilege here. Glad Rana likes it too. Status quo is great as long as white people like you benefit right?
    Early cocktails last night?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

11. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I thought you work for people who invest in property?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There is no such thing as legally stealing a listing, now that multiple listings are all the rage. If someone is operating as an unlicensed broker, does that affect brokers who play by the rules?

13. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll 100% guarantee you she didn't read the article. She was blessed knowing everything so reading is beneath her.

A lot like Desh she just wants to call people racist. And a lot like Desh her simple mind thinks if you support any type of deregulation you want to live in Somalia. And the ultimate irony of course is she claims people like you and me support institutional racism yet when deregulation reduces it it's still racist because deregulation is racist. It goes without saying she hasn't thought through her positions other than everything is racist. And she will not answer your question
    So now your defense of your fluff piece is to call everyone a racist?

How the fuck do you introduce 'white privilege' into a discussion about licensing issues?

14. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

don't confuse me with BucKKKle or one of his demmycrat friends......
    Alright, I will apologize for my racebaiting remark. I despise it when others do it and I shouldn't do it either. I guess I was triggered by your Ohio insult. OH MY GOD! I've become a real Ohioan. Next thing you know I'll be watching Buckeye games and wearing a red jersey to bed. Must resist...

15. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Ostensibly these laws and regulations exist for safety but they are really just protections for people who already work in these industries.

The Disappearing Right to Earn a Living

Want to become a florist in Louisiana? A home-entertainment installer in Connecticut? Or a barber anywhere? You’re going to need a license for that—and it’s going to cost you.

In most states, a person who desires to install home-entertainment systems for a living, or as a part-time gig for extra cash, faces relatively few barriers to entry. This is work teenagers routinely do for grandparents after they make a technology purchase. But in Connecticut, a home-entertainment installer is required to obtain a license from the state before serving customers. It costs applicants $185. To qualify, they must have a 12th-grade education, complete a test, and accumulate one year of apprenticeship experience in the field. A typical aspirant can expect the licensing process to delay them 575 days.

These figures are drawn from License to Work, a report released this week by the Institute for Justice, a public-interest law firm that has sued state governments on behalf of numerous small-business owners and members of the working class who’ve faced unduly onerous obstacles while trying to earn a living.

Occupational-licensing obstacles are much more common than they once were. “In the 1950s, about one in 20 American workers needed an occupational license before they could work in the occupation of their choice,” the report states. “Today, that figure stands at about one in four.” These requirements are at their most reasonable when regulating occupations such as anesthesiologist or airline pilot, as in those instances, they can mostly affect a privileged class.

They are at their most pernicious when they are both needless and most burdensome to the middle class, the working class, and recent immigrants to a society. The IJ report focuses its attention on these cases, surveying 102 lower-income occupations across all 50 states and the District of Columbia. It concludes that “most of the 102 occupations are practiced in at least one state without state licensing and apparently without widespread harm.” In other words, dropping many of those requirements likely wouldn’t do any harm. Just 23 of the occupations surveyed are licensed in at least 40 states. Their online dataset helpfully allows anyone to search occupations per their interests. I learned that all 50 states license barbers while just 13 license bartenders.

To be a florist in Louisiana, the only state to regulate them, one must take an exam and pay $189. Seven different jurisdictions require a license to be a tree trimmer. California demands that tree trimmers have four years experience, pay $529, and take two exams; Maryland requires two years of training and one year of experience.

To underscore the irrationality of various requirements, IJ compares them to people charged with saving the lives of their fellow humans during emergencies:
    EMTs hold lives in their hands, yet 73 other occupations have greater average licensure burdens: barbers and cosmetologists, home entertainment installers, interior designers, log scalers, manicurists and numerous contractor designations … while the average cosmetologist must complete 386 days of training, the average EMT must complete a mere 34. Even the average tree trimmer must complete more than 16 times the amount of education and experience.

Texas requires licenses for 37 occupations studied in the report. Said Texas Supreme Court Justice Don Willett, concurring in a 2015 case that struck down occupational licensing requirements for people engaged in eyebrow threading:

As today’s case shows, the Texas occupational licensure regime, predominantly impeding Texans of modest means, can seem a hodge-podge of disjointed, logic-defying irrationalities, where the burdens imposed seem almost farcical, forcing many lower-income Texans to face a choice: submit to illogical bureaucracy or operate an illegal business? Licensure absurdities become apparent when you compare the wildly disparate education/experience burdens visited on various professions. The disconnect between the strictness of some licensing rules and their alleged public-welfare rationale is patently bizarre.

Too often, occupational-licensing laws are less about protecting workers or consumers as a class than they are about protecting the interests of incumbents. Want to compete with me? Good luck, now that I’ve lobbied for a law that requires you to shell out cash and work toward a certificate before you can begin.

How to withdraw the undue status that incumbent interests are exploiting?Among several worthwhile reforms advanced in the report’s conclusion, I was taken by the call to make it easier for aspiring workers and entrepreneurs to bring legal challenges against licensing laws. “The U.S. Constitution protects the right to earn an honest living free from unreasonable government interference, yet courts have often been reluctant to enforce this right by striking down arbitrary or irrational licensing laws,” it notes. “Under the prevailing legal standard, licensing laws are presumed valid when challenged in court, and individuals must prove that they are unconstitutional. This gets it exactly backward. Governments should have to prove that licensing laws advance legitimate health and safety concerns to justify restrictions on the right to earn a living.”

A central plank of the American dream is at stake.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/546071/
    It would be a better article if it spared the hyperbole.

The article is based on the false premise that these occupations are only licensed For anticompetitive reasons and doesn’t even attempt to discuss the actual reasons why these licensing requirements were instituted in the first place so the objectivity of the author is questionable to say the least.

Take for example cosmetology. If there hadn’t have been vast numbers of complaints of unsafe and unhygienic practices licensing wouldn’t be an issue. Tree trimming is another good example. Absolutely there should be licensing requirements given the trades seriously bad history of property damage, injuries and deaths. Now let’s talk about general contractors , whom this article is really supporting. If you don’t think General contractors shouldn’t be bonded and licensed you’re a fool who has never done business with them.

In other words this is more of your free market fundamentalism nonsense Wacko. If you seriously wished to discuss why Florist in Louisiana shouldn’t be licensed you should first discuss the factual basis of why they were required to obtain licensing in that State in the first place. Instead you post an article which poses an argument based on a false premise. I mean do you really believe cosmotologist have that kind of lobbying power in the Statehouse or is it more likely that public complaints prompted licensing requirements?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Althea (11-22-2017)