Thread: Houston to Florida

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,747 Times in 33,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Houston to Florida

We are taking a road trip to Orlando, any sites we need to see, places to eat, places we should avoid, any travel tips would be appreciated.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Life is Golden (11-20-2017), ThatOwlWoman (11-20-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    We are taking a road trip to Orlando, any sites we need to see, places to eat, places we should avoid, any travel tips would be appreciated.
    St. Augustine is a definite must see. It's the oldest city in the US and has many things to see and do. Also the Cape is pretty neat and educational about our space program.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Cancel 2018.1 (11-19-2017), MAGA MAN (11-21-2017), Phantasmal (11-19-2017)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,902 Times in 7,962 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Definitely St. Augustine. And KSC.

Daytona Beach is cool, too. Can hit Daytona on way back to Orlando from St Augustine.

Downtown Orlando: Church St.; Lake Eola Park; Orange County Regional History Center.

Downtown Winter Park: Park Ave. just north of Orlando is a nice visit. Can do both places in one day.

International Drive, the (Coca Cola) Orlando Eye (giant 450' tall ferris wheel) is cool.

Disney Springs: used to be Disney Village, then Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island. Free admission, free garage parking and plenty to walk around and see/do.

Head over to the Gulf Coast and visit Clearwater/St Petersburg beaches too.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

Phantasmal (11-19-2017)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

You're gonna make me jealous, I love road trips, backroads and small towns, and have done much of that area. Are you going to pass through New Orleans? While Interstates often get you there faster and have easy on off accommodations, we often do back roads. The Causeway in New Orleans is interesting, we once hit it in rain so heavy you couldn't see. Rt 90 has some interesting sights and is along the Gulf, but we haven't done that since our boys were young. I spent some time in Panama city on the Air Force base many years ago but that area has changed into a tourist area. If you're near it make sure you see the white sands along 98 but watch for traffic very heavy now especially at Spring break. We have traveled much of 98 and Apalachicola is a quaint place and good food. And who hasn't visited Panacea lol not much there really. In Florida 301 is interesting too and scenic, if I were to name all the places and roads we've traveled in the US .... If you are a race car person see the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing off 75. Make sure you have a checklist of what to take etc etc. Have a great trip.

PS Google maps is a great tool, I often use parts of interstates and then look for small towns and more scenic roads and sites off the interstate, but also knowing when to head back for the night or to make time. Satellite view can give you a sense of terrain and population areas.

St Augustine is nice but a bit off the path I think. International Drive is definitely worth a look but driving around Disney - I assume you are going there? - can be challenging. Downtown Disney is crowded and always growing, it seems but if you have children lots there to spend money on. lol
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

8. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

Phantasmal (11-19-2017)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,902 Times in 7,962 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    You're gonna make me jealous, I love road trips, backroads and small towns, and have done much of that area. Are you going to pass through New Orleans? While Interstates often get you there faster and have easy on off accommodations, we often do back roads. The Causeway in New Orleans is interesting, we once hit it in rain so heavy you couldn't see. Rt 90 has some interesting sights and is along the Gulf, but we haven't done that since our boys were young. I spent some time in Panama city on the Air Force base many years ago but that area has changed into a tourist area. If you're near it make sure you see the white sands along 98 but watch for traffic very heavy now especially at Spring break. We have traveled much of 98 and Apalachicola is a quaint place and good food. And who hasn't visited Panacea lol not much there really. In Florida 301 is interesting too and scenic, if I were to name all the places and roads we've traveled in the US .... If you are a race car person see the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing off 75. Make sure you have a checklist of what to take etc etc. Have a great trip.

PS Google maps is a great tool, I often use parts of interstates and then look for small towns and more scenic roads and sites off the interstate, but also knowing when to head back for the night or to make time. Satellite view can give you a sense of terrain and population areas.

St Augustine is nice but a bit off the path I think. International Drive is definitely worth a look but driving around Disney - I assume you are going there? - can be challenging. Downtown Disney is crowded and always growing, it seems but if you have children lots there to spend money on. lol
    St Augustine is about 2 hours from Orlando. Leave early in the morning and you can spend a few hours there, have lunch then hit Daytona Beach on the way back. If you're a race fan, check out Daytona Rising and the speedway right next to each other, then head out to the beach just to cruise through. Maybe drive & park in the beach. Check out the boardwalk (what's left of it) and the pier.

Re: the traffic and getting around "Downtown Disney" (now called Disney Springs and incorporating Pleasure Island into one big complex) depends on what time of year you are there. The summer time is the high tourist season in Orlando because that's when the kids are out if school. Come in the off season (fall through spring - on non holidays like Christmas & Spring Break of course) and it's much less crowded. Cheaper, too.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

There really is only one stop on your route and that is NOLA but it would help if you listed your interests.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

Phantasmal (11-19-2017)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    There really is only one stop on your route and that is NOLA but it would help if you listed your interests.
    We’recount to save NOLA for another trip, we are going to Orlando to meet three of my sisters and their husbands. Staying at my sisters time share. Wanted to know cool things to see and do on the way.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Which is why I listed Nola but it's only 5 hours from Houston so I can understand setting it aside. There are some beach towns along the way like Destin but mostly I-10 is a bit Inland because of the nature of the coast so it's a pretty boring drive.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

Phantasmal (11-20-2017)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,414 Times in 16,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have a safe trip and enjoy the time with your family

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

Phantasmal (11-20-2017)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Have a safe trip and enjoy the time with your family
    Appreciated, thanks

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Only place I've been in FL was Anna Maria Island near Tampa-St Pete, so not much help. Sounds like a great road trip though.... enjoy!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Phantasmal (11-20-2017)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Have fun! The weather's been nice.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

Phantasmal (11-20-2017), TOP (11-21-2017)

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

Drive fast, take chances.

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Default Covfefe

OMG I think there needs to be another forum as so much of the stuff in this forum is not 'off topic', but rather partisan baloney and other assorted nonsense. That said I thought this YouTube funny.

Covfefe: The Broadway Medley!

Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    OMG I think there needs to be another forum as so much of the stuff in this forum is not 'off topic', but rather partisan baloney and other assorted nonsense. That said I thought this YouTube funny.

Covfefe: The Broadway Medley!

Thanks! I love Randy, he is hilarious