Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malcom Young passed away.....bummer!!

1. #16 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shape Shifter View Post
    Iron Maiden and Judas Priest should get an honourable mention as well!
    Yep, saw both of them as well. Maiden sits solidly in the top 3 concerts I've ever seen.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Saw both Purple and Sabbath a few times too, but always thought Zeppelin was overrated. I will say the Heaven And Hell tour with Ronnie James Dio singing with Sabbath was pretty darned good, but their older stuff was better with Ozzy, simply because it was he who sang them originally. Purple was better with Blackmore, too. As for AC/DC, they hold their own with the best of them live.
    Can't agree about Led Zeppelin, both Jimmy Page and John were geniuses. If you listen to his drumming on Kashmir if is just truly awesome the way he interacts with Page. To my mind he's the greatest rock drummer of all time.

http://drummagazine.com/bonham-from-...-of-his-peers/

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Can't agree about Led Zeppelin, both Jimmy Page and John were geniuses. If you listen to his drumming on Kashmir if is just truly awesome the way he interacts with Page. To my mind he's the greatest rock drummer of all time.

http://drummagazine.com/bonham-from-...-of-his-peers/
    Can't argue that John was good, great actually. But Neal Peart is just as good, possibly even better. But, I'd say Buddy Rich was the best drummer of all time.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Can't argue that John was good, great actually. But Neal Peart is just as good, possibly even better. But, I'd say Buddy Rich was the best drummer of all time.
    I said rock drummer of all time, which excludes Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa. I have a very good friend who's played in many bands over the years as a drummer and he says that the drumming on Kashmir is truly unbelievable.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 11-20-2017 at 04:39 AM.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I said rock drummer of all time, which excludes Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa.
    Duly noted. Rich wasn't a "rock drummer," but his skills should be mentioned when discussing the greatest rock drummers. Many rock drummers mention Rich as their inspiration.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Duly noted. Rich wasn't a "rock drummer," but his skills should be mentioned when discussing the greatest rock drummers. Many rock drummers mention Rich as their inspiration.
    Yes I agree, Rich and Krupa were drumming gods.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes I agree, Rich and Krupa were drumming gods.

Absolutely! Sheer greatness at their craft.
    Well, I gotta get to work. Have a great day, it's been nice chatting with ya

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Can't say that I listened to AC/DC that much, to my mind, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin are/were the real deal. Glad to say that I saw all of them in their prime.

In other News that cunt Manson has died, if anybody deserved the death penalty he did!!
    For some reason the British music scene was always hostile towards AC/DC as they were trying to get started in the UK at the time the Punk movement was getting started and were largely ignored in the UK. AC/DC refused to get involved in Punk as they correctly saw it as a passing fad.

AC/DC had to come here to the Midwest where they got their big break from the same Cleveland Radio Station that gave Rush their start. They then toured with Kiss, Styx, REO and Cheap Trick (Which is the time frame I saw them) but when Mutt Lange took over managing them they exploded into Super Group status and became, ultimately, a far more influential Rock band than either Deep Purple or Black Sabbath.

I never understood the UK’s rejection of AC/DC in the 70’s but then I never got Europe’s infatuation with the Punk movement as the vast majority of Punk music was god awful bad only to be followed by the even worse New Wave movement which stormed across Europe but only significant American contribution was the video New Wave Hookers which mercifully brought the all style no substance Punk/New Wave era to an end and proved AC/DC right.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (11-20-2017)

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    For some reason the British music scene was always hostile towards AC/DC as they were trying to get started in the UK at the time the Punk movement was getting started and were largely ignored in the UK. AC/DC refused to get involved in Punk as they correctly saw it as a passing fad.

AC/DC had to come here to the Midwest where they got their big break from the same Cleveland Radio Station that gave Rush their start. They then toured with Kiss, Styx, REO and Cheap Trick (Which is the time frame I saw them) but when Mutt Lange took over managing them they exploded into Super Group status and became, ultimately, a far more influential Rock band than either Deep Purple or Black Sabbath.

I never understood the UK’s rejection of AC/DC in the 70’s but then I never got Europe’s infatuation with the Punk movement as the vast majority of Punk music was god awful bad only to be followed by the even worse New Wave movement which stormed across Europe but only significant American contribution was the video New Wave Hookers which mercifully brought the all style no substance Punk/New Wave era to an end and proved AC/DC right.
    Punk was a bit like Trump, it had a iconoclastic effect on stadium rock and the whole era of pompous progressive pop. It wasn't meant to be long lasting or even great music, but it changed the whole music scene over here.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Punk rock (or "punk") is a rock music genre that developed in the early to mid-1970s in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia. Rooted in 1960s garage rock and other forms of what is now known as "proto-punk" music, punk rock bands rejected perceived excesses of mainstream 1970s rock. Punk bands typically produced short or fast-paced songs, with hard-edged melodies and singing styles, stripped-down instrumentation, and often political, anti-establishment lyrics. Punk embraces a DIY ethic; many bands self-produce recordings and distribute them through informal channels.

it brought the music world back into the hands of the individual

it renergized a stale and money centered music market

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

By late 1976, bands such as the New York Dolls, Television, and the Ramones in New York City, the Sex Pistols, the Clash, and the Damned in London, and The Saints in Brisbane were recognized as the vanguard of a new musical movement. The following year saw punk rock spreading around the world, and it became a major cultural phenomenon in the United Kingdom

By the early 1980s, faster and more aggressive styles such as hardcore punk (e.g. Minor Threat), street punk (e.g. the Exploited), and anarcho-punk (e.g. Crass) had become the predominant mode of punk rock. Musicians identifying with or inspired by punk also pursued a broad range of other variations, giving rise to post-punk and new wave and later indie pop, alternative rock, and noise rock. By the 1990s, punk rock had re-emerged in the mainstream, as pop punk bands such as Green Day and the Offspring brought the genre widespread popularity.

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is a youthful approach to music and rock

it will forever reemerge

and it will inspire great bands like greenday to reach back and remember what rock is about.

the hammering quick pace of the guitar the half screamed lyrics that are inspired by a youthful look at the entrenched ideas of their time.

QUESTION and SPEAK OUT

dont just accept the world the older generation is handing you.

take a hard look and scream NO we are not taking your stupid and saving it for you by enforcing it on the world during our lives

its at the soul of rock

it will forever be loved

just like jazz

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Punk was a bit like Trump, it had a iconoclastic effect on stadium rock and the whole era of pompous progressive pop. It wasn't meant to be long lasting or even great music, but it changed the whole music scene over here.
    I saw Punk in the UK as more a social movement of working class youth in the UK protesting social and economic inequality and in that respect your analogy works.

Punk garnered some popularity on the coast here in the US but laid a great big turd in the interior where classic rock, prog rock and country rock swamped Punk. Then again in that era industrial decline was just settling in the US and Punks influence in the US didn’t take off till the Grunge scene from the Seattle region took off. LA had been the center of the Punk scene but it was such a god awful bad affectation that no one outside of LA took it serious. The New York Punk scene, led by the Ramones was far better but it was steam rolled by New Wave. The Seattle Punk scene by far produced the best music of the entire genre.

What’s ironic is the Classic rockers Ann and Nancy Wilson became the most influential musicians of the Punk scene in the US due to their support of the Seattle Grunge scene.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 11-20-2017 at 08:25 AM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (11-20-2017)