Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Texas police harass woman for anti-Trump decals on truck.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,904 Times in 7,964 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Default In Texas police harass woman for anti-Trump decals on truck.

Freedom of speech in a red state like Tex-ass depends on what you're saying I guess.

Replace "Trump" with "Obama" or "Hillary" on that decal and she'd get a free pass.

Woman with crude anti-Trump truck decal arrested for fraud

DALLAS -- The driver of a pickup displaying an expletive-filled message to President Donald Trump and his supporters in the Houston area was arrested Thursday on an outstanding warrant.

Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office records show Karen Fonseca was arrested about 2 p.m. Thursday on an outstanding fraud warrant issued in August by the Rosenberg Police Department. She was in the county jail Thursday night with bond set at $1,500.

Fonseca was released from jail Thursday night after her husband posted her bond, CBS affiliate KHOU reported.

"I'm almost certain it does have to do with (the truck decal)," she said after her release. "People abuse the badge, and in my opinion, money talks. When you're in politics, people know how to work the system."

A sheriff's spokesman has not answered a message seeking details behind the warrant.

Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls had threatened Fonseca with a disorderly conduct charge over the decal. However, District Attorney John Healey said he didn't think it would have been a prosecutable case.

Fonseca had said she would not remove the decal. She said she had been stopped by law officers, but that they have no grounds to issue a citation.

"It's not to cause hate or animosity," the 46-year-old Fonseca told the Houston Chronicle. "It's just our freedom of speech and we're exercising it."

Nehls on Wednesday posted a photo of the truck message on Facebook alongside a request to speak with the driver.

Nehls in his post said that a county prosecutor told him the message could warrant a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct. But at a news conference later Wednesday, he seemed to back away from that idea. Nehls said he supports freedom of speech but worried that profane messages could incite others and lead to confrontations that would disturb the peace he's pledged to keep.

A spokeswoman for the sheriff's office, which covers the county just southwest of Houston, said Thursday that Nehls' post was removed once the pickup driver was identified.

"Due to the hate messages he has been receiving toward his wife and children, the sheriff will not be commenting on the matter further," spokeswoman Caitilin Espinosa said by email.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas posted on Facebook that Fonseca's message is protected speech and urged her to reach out to the organization. The ACLU noted a 1971 U.S. Supreme Court case that overturned the conviction of a man for disturbing the peace for wearing a jacket with an expletive as part of an effort to protest the military draft and the Vietnam War.

A woman who raised her middle finger in October to Trump's motorcade as it passed her in Virginia was fired from a government contracting firm for violating the "code of conduct policy." But the Texas case differs in that a government entity threatened punitive action for vulgar material directed at the president.

Lynne Rambo, a law professor at Texas A&M University specializing in the First Amendment, said Thursday that the 1971 Supreme Court case made two points clear: the state's attempt to regulate profanity or civil discourse is not a sufficient reason to justify restricting speech, and profane language directed at a specific person is different from vulgar content that's broadly disseminated.

"It's state action to threaten as (Nehls) did and he really ought to know First Amendment law better than that," Rambo said.

Fonseca says the message has been on the rear window of the pickup for nearly a year and it'll stay there for the time-being.

"There's no law against freedom of speech, nothing in the law book here in Texas," she told KHOU. "I've been stopped numerous times, but they can't write me a ticket."
    I'm surprised some right-wing redneck, NRA lackey gun freak hasn't shot her windows out yet.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

2. The Following User Groans At Nomad For This Awful Post:

Eagle_Eye (11-17-2017)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-17-2017), Jade Dragon (11-17-2017)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

more people here in TX called for the sheriff to back off and respect 1st Amendment rights, pressured the prosecutor to not even consider charges. Some were idiots, but most were not.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,419 Times in 16,408 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

How nice Wonder if she's a room mother and a soccer mom car-pooling kind of gal..that car must be a huge hit in the elementary parking lot. Her kids must be so proud of her.
    And she probably delivers meals to seniors on Sunday.
    God Bless Her
    Oh, wait. Fraud charges?
    Never mind

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Conservatives on Obama. Are you feeling the love?

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Jade Dragon (11-17-2017), ThatOwlWoman (11-17-2017)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is Gomad claiming the arrest wasn't for fraud?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

TOP (11-17-2017)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,527 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Freedom of speech in a red state like Tex-ass depends on what you're saying I guess.

Replace "Trump" with "Obama" or "Hillary" on that decal and she'd get a free pass.

I'm surprised some right-wing redneck, NRA lackey gun freak hasn't shot her windows out yet.
    The stupid cunt has an outstanding arrest warrant for fraud and she is stupid enough to put a red flag on her truck that basically says I'm an idiot stop me!

I personally don't care what you put on public display. But if it''s offensive be prepared for confrontation.
    Last edited by Eagle_Eye; 11-17-2017 at 04:33 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Callinectes (11-18-2017), MAGA MAN (11-17-2017)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
    The stupid cunt has an outstanding arrest warrant for fraud....
    From the article in the OP: "A sheriff's spokesman has not answered a message seeking details behind the warrant."

So, how exactly did she commit fraud? What was her crime?

...and she is stupid enough to put a red flag that says I'm an idiot stop me! .

I personally don't care what you put on public display. But if it''s offensive be prepared for confrontation.
    Are you saying it's OK for the police to harass someone based on their window decals?

Because that's exactly what it sounds like.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

13. The Following 2 Users Groan At Nomad For This Awful Post:

Eagle_Eye (11-17-2017), TOP (11-18-2017)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-17-2017), Jade Dragon (11-17-2017), Phantasmal (11-17-2017), ThatOwlWoman (11-17-2017)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

From the article in the OP: "A sheriff's spokesman has not answered a message seeking details behind the warrant."

Are you saying it's OK for the police to harass someone based on their window decals?

I'm not saying that but there are exceptions if you put extremely offensive decals on your car your going to get stopped. Your right to free speech ends at my right not to see uninvited offensive material. You do know there are obscenity laws against such displays don't you?

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Forgot to address your asinine complaint about the fraud charge. In order to have bail it must be set by a judge, so clearly there was enough evidence to support the fraud charge.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Callinectes (11-18-2017), TOP (11-18-2017)

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Are you saying it's OK for the police to harass someone based on their window decals?.
    If it contains a big ol' F-bomb, yes.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

TOP (11-18-2017)

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not saying that but there are exceptions if you put extremely offensive decals on your car your going to get stopped. Your right to free speech ends at my right not to see uninvited offensive material. You do know there are obscenity laws against such displays don't you?

You do not have a right to not be offended. The SCOTUS ruled a long time ago that things like this are protected speech.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thumper For This Post:

Jade Dragon (11-17-2017), Nomad (11-17-2017)

22. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    You do not have a right to not be offended. The SCOTUS ruled a long time ago that things like this are protected speech.
    Thanks for saving me the trouble of pointing that out.

The article I posted explained all of that but then, you know how it is with right-wingers and reading comprehension...
    C'MON MAN!!!!

23. The Following User Groans At Nomad For This Awful Post:

TOP (11-18-2017)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

Jade Dragon (11-17-2017)

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

The article I posted explained all of that but then, you know how it is with right-wingers and reading comprehension...

To be fair. I saw a lot of left wingers making the exact same complaint when people did the same thing but with Obama.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Thumper For This Post:

TOP (11-18-2017)

27. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is it just me, or is the right the real snowflakes? So much so, that they want to ignore freedom of speech. Some of the crankiest nuts over the flag, probably have no issue with the Confederate one, or even wave it about proudly. I'd have to wipe my ass with a flag on TV, to compete with that level of disgracing the flag.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (11-17-2017)

29. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Nobody said a fucking thing about being offended that is a liberal emotion. As I said you can display lewd material but be prepared to be stopped. Now unless you are a constitutional attorney your opinion is no better than mine. Would you be as supportive if the sign was about Obama or Hillary? Somehow I doubt it.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

TOP (11-18-2017)