Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Students storm library, shut down College Republicans meeting

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,272 Times in 13,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    that's bizarre over-reach. I can barely follow what you are saying.

Are you saying there is a lesson to be learned in shouting down opposition?
    Yet we don't see that behavior sanctioned -so no there is no lesson there either.

The lesson needs to be we are are entitled to express our opinion
    You didn't follow the whole exchange

Briefly, the people demonstrating represent a small minority of students at any school, others watch, they can witness both sides' point of view demonstrated by their actions.

Would a civil debate be more acceptable, of course, but civility is hard to find anywhere in our society, we even got a President who exercises the exact opposite, quick to label anyone who questions him as losers, criminals, idiots, etc.

It has already been said, but the shouting down consideration coming from a conservative is questionable given the experiences seen at the Congressional town halls back in 2010

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post

Briefly, the people demonstrating represent a small minority of students at any school, others watch, they can witness both sides' point of view demonstrated by their actions.

Would a civil debate be more acceptable, of course, but civility is hard to find anywhere in our society, we even got a President who exercises the exact opposite, quick to label anyone who questions him as losers, criminals, idiots, etc.

It has already been said, but the shouting down consideration coming from a conservative is questionable given the experiences seen at the Congressional town halls back in 2010
    A group meeting for a college group is the same as a Congressional town hall?

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,272 Times in 13,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    A group meeting for a college group is the same as a Congressional town hall?
    Didn't make that comparison, only using the town hall meetings to show that a conservative's sincerity talking about shouting down others' is questionable

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

when Trump Tweets, he gets called on his Tweets -no one gives him a free pass.
    Whens students disrupt a political meeting they don't get called on that-and that is problematic.

as I said we are raising a nation of Storm Troopers, and it's indefensible

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Didn't make that comparison, only using the town hall meetings to show that a conservative's sincerity talking about shouting down others' is questionable
    ya you DID make that comparison!
    climb down off that limb and state the obvious that shouting down/disrupting/threatening is intolerable

6. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

liberalsAREracists (10-21-2017)

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

What do you expect with a POTUS who wants jackboot Nazi followers?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nose Picker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-21-2017)

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Maybe I'm unaware, please show me conservative groups who shut down liberal speakers on campus during Obama's presidency
    This isn't just about college campuses during Obama's years .. and you know that. Here's your 'tell' brother .. with all that's going on in the country today, you never want to talk about Trump and the Republican Party .. even when both are germane to the conversations that you start.

You couldn't possibly be oblivious to republican behavior during Obama's years. You just don't want to talk about it. You'd rather discuss some narrowly defined question that ignores the greater context. You'd rather talk about what liberals don't do.
    Explain how do you separate the incivility and divisiveness demonstrated by republicans/conservatives nationwide from the questions you're asking? How?

You're living in a time with the most divisive and uncivil president in American history .. and you're confused about why people are responding as they are?

It's just liberals failing to keep to what you believe are their beliefs?
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    This isn't just about college campuses during Obama's years .. and you know that. Here's your 'tell' brother .. with all that's going on in the country today, you never want to talk about Trump and the Republican Party .. even when both are germane to the conversations that you start.

You couldn't possibly be oblivious to republican behavior during Obama's years. You just don't want to talk about it. You'd rather discuss some narrowly defined question that ignores the greater context. You'd rather talk about what liberals don't do.
    Explain how do you separate the incivility and divisiveness demonstrated by republicans/conservatives nationwide from the questions you're asking? How?

You're living in a time with the most divisive and uncivil president in American history .. and you're confused about why people are responding as they are?

It's just liberals failing to keep to what you believe are their beliefs?
    I'll say it again. I didn't vote for Trump, I don't like Trump and I don't support what he is doing. But the (political) world revolves around more than just the President and how many times can the same people say the same things over and over about Trump?

Hey, to each his own what they want to discuss but I don't see any board 'rules' saying the President is the only acceptable topic of discussion.

I like to read and what's happening on college campuses have been in the news quite a bit, especially where I live. I'm also a diehard USC fan and I follow college academic rankings. So I do pay attention to the college world.

I started a post the other day on right wing snowflakes at Whittier College shouting down the speaker because she was a Democrat.

I actually believe what I heard growing up that college is a place to learn and be challenged. I still believe that. As I've said before, o went and saw Sista Soulja speak at the height of her fame when I was in school. (This was after candidate Bill Clinton called her out for hateful rhetoric).

So yes, I think college campuses are different and that's why I talk about them. I don't believe people should be forced to go listen to someone they don't want to. But I don't believe in shutting others down

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So townhalls are the same as college campuses?

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,814 Times in 27,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    A College Republicans meeting at the University of California, Santa Cruz was taken over by protesters screaming that the group’s existence is a threat to the safety of students.

Calling the CR members “fascists,” “racists,” and “white supremacists," the protesters refused to have a civil conversation, proclaiming that "dialogue is violence."

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9986

Free speech is cool as long as it jibes with our program.

-- The Left
    Never heard of the website "campusreform.org".

Gonna need a more reliable, reputable, and mainstream source.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (10-21-2017)

14. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'll say it again. I didn't vote for Trump, I don't like Trump and I don't support what he is doing. But the (political) world revolves around more than just the President and how many times can the same people say the same things over and over about Trump?

Hey, to each his own what they want to discuss but I don't see any board 'rules' saying the President is the only acceptable topic of discussion.

I like to read and what's happening on college campuses have been in the news quite a bit, especially where I live. I'm also a diehard USC fan and I follow college academic rankings. So I do pay attention to the college world.

I started a post the other day on right wing snowflakes at Whittier College shouting down the speaker because she was a Democrat.

I actually believe what I heard growing up that college is a place to learn and be challenged. I still believe that. As I've said before, o went and saw Sista Soulja speak at the height of her fame when I was in school. (This was after candidate Bill Clinton called her out for hateful rhetoric).

So yes, I think college campuses are different and that's why I talk about them. I don't believe people should be forced to go listen to someone they don't want to. But I don't believe in shutting others down
    This isn't about whether you voted for, or even if like Trump. You're the one asking the questions while ignoring some very obvious answers. Why you do that is only known to you .. sort of. :0)

The board doesn't have to declare that Trump is the only subject .. but your avoidance of that discussion while asking questions that have clear connections to Trump and republicans validates what I said. Does the board have a rule that liberals are the only subject discussed?

Obviously I didn't go to the same college you did, but my college experience was about learning, responsibility, and applying what I've learned to society and life. College life was about political and personal activism and growth. That remains true for millions of college students as it always has.

College campuses do not exist in a bubble, nor should they. For many, it's the first time they're completely able to think for themselves.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

evince (10-21-2017)

16. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,777 Times in 27,251 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

17. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,777 Times in 27,251 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

watch the film

they all discussed

both side spoke

all their voices were at the same level

passionate.

the liberal kids won the debate

18. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

blackascoal (10-21-2017)

19. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    This isn't about whether you voted for, or even if like Trump. You're the one asking the questions while ignoring some very obvious answers. Why you do that is only known to you .. sort of. :0)

The board doesn't have to declare that Trump is the only subject .. but your avoidance of that discussion while asking questions that have clear connections to Trump and republicans validates what I said. Does the board have a rule that liberals are the only subject discussed?

Obviously I didn't go to the same college you did, but my college experience was about learning, responsibility, and applying what I've learned to society and life. College life was about political and personal activism and growth. That remains true for millions of college students as it always has.

College campuses do not exist in a bubble, nor should they. For many, it's the first time they're completely able to think for themselves.
    If I missed it I'm open to being showed that. Are there examples of conservatives shutting down liberal speakers/groups on campuses during the Obama years.

And safe spaces, microaggressions, new pronouns etc all started on college campuses before Trump. And liberals shutting down speakers on college campuses started before Trump.

Edit: All this stuff isn't new as of a year ago.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

liberalsAREracists (10-21-2017)

21. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If I missed it I'm open to being showed that. Are there examples of conservatives shutting down liberal speakers/groups on campuses during the Obama years.

And safe spaces, microaggressions, new pronouns etc all started on college campuses before Trump. And liberals shutting down speakers on college campuses started before Trump.

Edit: All this stuff isn't new as of a year ago.
    If all you want to talk about is liberals, you should be talking to republicans .. again answering your own questions.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

evince (10-21-2017)