Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Civil Rights protests are always unpopular, but almost always win in the end.

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    To me, the minute you mention Trump you lose sight of what the protest was all about. Kaepernick started kneeling during the Obama Administration. It was about police brutality not Trump. Now Trump inserted himself into the story but by focusing on him you're losing.

The Undefeated did a piece on black veterans who supported what the players are protesting but didn't support kneeling for the flag. So support or not support of kneeling is strictly a right or left thing is not accurate.
    Actually if Trump hadn’t of inserted himself into the story it would probably be dead and forgotten but by politicizing it he gave it far more press than it would have received otherwise so mentioning Trump is relevant.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Actually if Trump hadn’t of inserted himself into the story it would probably be dead and forgotten but by politicizing it he gave it far more press than it would have received otherwise so mentioning Trump is relevant.
    so basically it's the press?......BINGO!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-19-2017)

4. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    "Morally imperative?"

Equal treatment under the law. Seems kinda necessary to me.
    it is. the protests lack a message -police violence seems to be what it was before
    now it's "unity" etc, and that's all lost in the conflict of the kneeling and the noise around it anyhow

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    it is. the protests lack a message -police violence seems to be what it was before
    now it's "unity" etc, and that's all lost in the conflict of the kneeling and the noise around it
    Again - you're purposefully making it seem more complex and ambiguous than it is. The "unity" they're talking about is as a group. Effective protests have generally had that quality; I'm sure Vietnam protestors talked about staying unified, as well. It's not 2 different messages.

And I wouldn't say it's just police brutality either. Kaep talked about oppression in general. I think it's a clumsy word to use, but I get the sentiment. I don't think a lot of people really understand what it's like to live in the black community in terms of the relationship to authority, myself included. I heard a guy last night talking about how every parent in that community eventually has to have "the talk" with their kids, and I have heard that a lot over the years. It's a talk white parents aren't familiar with, and do not need to have.

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Again - you're purposefully making it seem more complex and ambiguous than it is. The "unity" they're talking about is as a group. Effective protests have generally had that quality; I'm sure Vietnam protestors talked about staying unified, as well. It's not 2 different messages.

And I wouldn't say it's just police brutality either. Kaep talked about oppression in general. I think it's a clumsy word to use, but I get the sentiment. I don't think a lot of people really understand what it's like to live in the black community in terms of the relationship to authority, myself included. I heard a guy last night talking about how every parent in that community eventually has to have "the talk" with their kids, and I have heard that a lot over the years. It's a talk white parents aren't familiar with, and do not need to have.
    You heard a guy? Do you have proof of what you heard or do you simply expect people to believe you because you say you heard it?

My parents didn't specifically have a talk related to the police with me. They didn't need to. They instilled in me certain general concepts that I was able to apply to many situations. Are you saying black kids can't learn such things as well as white kid? Maybe it's because so many of the black ones don't have but one parent around and quite often she pushes the kids off on grandma to raise while she's out producing more bastards.

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

unity is a tactic not a message, and no we really didn't talk about unity as much as conflict with cops and how to get out the message.
    There were many tactics used.
    I think police violence is the underlying message,but even that isn't going to give reform
    It's the court system that will not indict ( grand juries) that is being protested ( i think?)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

9. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

What oppression? You pampered fucks don’t know what real oppression is.

You throw around words as if they have no meaning

10. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

11. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    unity is a tactic not a message, and no we really didn't talk about unity as much as conflict with cops and how to get out the message.
    There were many tactics used.
    I think police violence is the underlying message,but even that isn't going to give reform
    It's the court system that will not indict ( grand juries) that is being protested ( i think?)
    Police have more to fear from black men than the reverse. That is statistical fact

12. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

13. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    What oppression? You pampered fucks don’t know what real oppression is.

You throw around words as if they have no meaning
    Um, dopey? I said it was a clumsy word to use. I don't agree w/ the use of that word.

But, blacks are treated differently than whites by authority, in a negative way. I don't see how anyone could oppose that community vocalizing their desire for equal rights & equal treatment under the law.

14. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Um, dopey? I said it was a clumsy word to use. I don't agree w/ the use of that word.

But, blacks are treated differently than whites by authority, in a negative way. I don't see how anyone could oppose that community vocalizing their desire for equal rights & equal treatment under the law.
    Their actions demand it.
    You approach a non venomous snake differently than a venomous one.
    This is cause and effect. How they get treated is a direct result of how they behave.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

16. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Their actions demand it.
    This is cause and effect. How they get treated is a direct result of how they behave.
    Anyone who knows me on this board knows that I'm not a racebaiter. But that one is legit racist.

17. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Anyone who knows me on this board knows that I'm not a racebaiter. But that one is legit racist.
    Are you really saying that you don’t act differently if you see a group of black teens walking toward you? I call you a liar if you say yes

18. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

19. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You fail to recognize that blacks act differently toward authority, in a negative way, prior to any treatment by that authority.

20. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Are you really saying that you don’t act differently if you see a group of black teens walking toward you? I call you a liar if you say yes
    Why would you act differently?

21. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Their actions demand it.

Exactly. What Thingy forgets, or more like ignores, is that someone having the you only stopped me because I'm black attitude is going to get treated differently than someone, regardless of color, that is respectful and doesn't act like an asshole.