Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Senate Passes Interstate Abortion Bill

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why would Republicans shoot down this measure of the Democrats mentioned in this article of yours MC?

Senators voted 51 to 48 to reject an amendment drafted by Democrats that would have steered federal money to programs that educate teenagers about sexual abstinence and contraception.

do you want abortions to stop or unwanted pregnancies to stop, thus stopping abortion's onslaught....?

care

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,891 Times in 21,656 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,684 Times in 5,187 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Care4all
    Why would Republicans shoot down this measure of the Democrats mentioned in this article of yours MC?

Senators voted 51 to 48 to reject an amendment drafted by Democrats that would have steered federal money to programs that educate teenagers about sexual abstinence and contraception.

do you want abortions to stop or unwanted pregnancies to stop, thus stopping abortion's onslaught....?

care

Great question...?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,608 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod
    Great question...?
    It was probably that "and contraception" part. It couldn't be the whole it's the state's function to fund education part... They've made that abundantly clear.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

care
    How often does this "fleeing to another state" stuff happen anyway? My guess, is that is happens about as often as an american flag gets burned in this country.

In other words, another phony "moral" issues bill the republicans are wasting time on.

44 States ALREADY have parental notification laws. I doubt that kids are "crossing state lines" very often to "avoid" these laws.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    How often does this "fleeing to another state" stuff happen anyway? My guess, is that is happens about as often as an american flag gets burned in this country.

In other words, another phony "moral" issues bill the republicans are wasting time on.

44 States ALREADY have parental notification laws. I doubt that kids are "crossing state lines" very often to "avoid" these laws.

good point Cypress.... though I thought it was three dozen states, 36 states...but still, not likely to cross state lines or have the means to do such...

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

care
    That's easy. Republicans in power want to keep this issue as a dividing issue. Can't have those common folks binding together and agreeing on principles. That might lead some Republicans to vote for a Democrat. Lord forbid!

Immie

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Who are are you and what the hell did you do to Immy? The immy I remember wouldn't dare for Kerry because he wasn't anti-choice.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tianabautre
    Who are are you and what the hell did you do to Immy? The immy I remember wouldn't dare for Kerry because he wasn't anti-choice.
    It is me! Honest.

Wouldn't dare what? Vote for him? I still wouldn't. But you guys have helped me to see that the Republicans in power are not any different than the Democrats in power and that neither one of them really give a doggone about this issue. The only thing they really care about is which side they can weasel the most votes out of.

If we'd just send them packing we could easily come to a compromise on this issue and many more.

Immie

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thats why I don't really consider a canidates abortion views when voting.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel
    It is me! Honest.

Wouldn't dare what? Vote for him? I still wouldn't. But you guys have helped me to see that the Republicans in power are not any different than the Democrats in power and that neither one of them really give a doggone about this issue. The only thing they really care about is which side they can weasel the most votes out of.

If we'd just send them packing we could easily come to a compromise on this issue and many more.

Immie
    Yeah but that was after the election. no fun.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,891 Times in 21,656 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,684 Times in 5,187 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel
    It is me! Honest.

Immie

Finally I agree with you about something relating to Abortion.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod
    Finally I agree with you about something relating to Abortion.
    Actually, it is probably more me coming to your side and finally agreeing with you.

If I could just figure out who you are or were from fp.com. I wanted to say Keepitsimple but he is so rarely around or maybe dungheap?

Immie

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 718 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 72 Times in 62 Posts

Bump

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,970 Times in 32,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts