Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being Black in San Francisco

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Being Black in San Francisco

Interesting article. Many (white) people when they talk about SF say they love the diversity. Yet, at least according this author, being black here means being isolated. Now it's not to say the two positions must be mutually exclusive but it is an interesting perspective.

Being black in San Francisco means finding peace amid isolation

Being black in San Francisco is akin to being visibly invisible. It’s an existence suspended in a polychromatic limbo, a rare mocha dot amid a sea of hues.

This perspective is intrinsically unique to a generation of black Millennials born too late to have visited the Fillmore when it was the Harlem of the West, home to frequent jazz visitors like Charlie Parker, John Coltrane and Dizzy Gillespie. Ghosts of the neighborhood’s minority-owned clubs like Bop City, restaurants, and pool halls in the 1940s and 1950s exist now as upscale shops and hipster-chic eateries.

It’s a steep decline over time from the 1970s when 1 in every 7 San Francisco residents was black, to 2016 where the number was 1 in 20.
    Suffice to say, it’s a lonely life being black in San Francisco.

I recently needed insight on how to live happily, in the cultural sense, as a 30-year-old black man in the city. Luckily, I met Shani Jones, a black woman in the local food industry who has called the city home for all but a fraction of her life. When I asked her how she finds refuge from a visibly invisible existence, her answer was simple: in food.

Jones is the proprietor of Peaches Patties, one of the city’s few Caribbean food outfits, and she named her business after her mother, a Kingston, Jamaica, native who went by Peaches. The family matriarch moved to the U.S. and married Jones’ New Orleans-born father.

In the Jones household, the cultural collaboration resulted in eclectic dinners: grilled meats with Jamaican flavors served on the same table as Creole stews and gumbos. This spurred Shani’s love of bold spices and culturally rooted recipes. That same passion gave birth to Peaches Patties.

“I can get lost in cooking. It’s something that’s therapeutic, and it’s a way to learn about yourself, learn about the people around you,” she says. “It’s been my escape when I need it to be.”

I confessed to Shani that as a Louisiana native who grew up in a small city where 57 percent of the population was black, I’ve been imbued with a sense of loneliness and isolation since moving to the Bay Area last year. But the loneliness isn’t a social construct, I clarified. It’s cultural, which itself embodies more of an emotional ache, exacerbated by the fact that African American culture is beloved by the non-black Bay Area populace.

A cookie dough business can debut with hip-hop theme offerings, unaware of the correlating cultural appropriation. And BART conversations between Millennial tech workers span the gamut from the merits of Kanye West’s “Life of Pablo” album to the effortless beauty of Beyoncé — yet bags are clutched just a little tighter if a hoodie-clad, Kanye-looking male boards the train with them.

Shani and I grew up different. We also grew up very much the same. She attended Clark Atlanta University, a historically black college in Georgia, where she learned, among other things, about the beauty of Southern hospitality in black culture: “The black community is supportive there. They care about each other and that wasn’t something I’d never experienced,” she says.

She also discovered the similarities between Southern, overt racism — Confederate flags hanging from porches or restaurant windows — and the modern aesthetics of racism in 2017, where collared shirts and tiki torches can be repurposed as uniforms of hate. The lack of a black population in San Francisco has made racism more subtle, Jones says, less aggressive in the form of intolerance. Condescension. Dismissiveness.

“If I’m working at the kiosk, and especially if I have a head wrap on, people that aren’t black sometimes come in and want a Broadway production. A white guy once came in and said with a Jamaican accent, ‘Let me get a patty, bombaclot.’ I immediately told him that was not OK,” she says. “I’m not shucking and jiving for anyone. Sometimes people will ask me to do the accent anyway, like that’s OK. It’s frustrating.”

Racially tinged interactions are a core tenet of the black experience. Jones knew this even at a young age. She says she had to be an overachiever in grade school in order to be treated with respect by white teachers. She said she had to be a better citizen, more upstanding, with better manners than her white counterparts to simply not be judged or stereotyped because of her skin.

“I remember days where I’d be playing near the street at my house and white people who lived in the neighborhood with us would stop and ask if we lived in our house. Or if we were lost,” she says.

Cooking is her tangible way to connect with a part of her heritage not reflected in her environment. Jones doesn’t have a brick-and-mortar location for Peaches Patties, but her temporary digs at 331 Cortland Avenue still provide a sense of comfort — a sense of calm achieved by losing herself in an order for her Jamaican grilled jerk chicken, Jamaican roast beef or Jamaican curry with potatoes.

“I love what I do. I feel connected to what I do. It’s an answer to that loneliness we talk about,” Jones said. “This is my refuge.”
    And as one of the few black people left in this city, I completely understand.

http://www.sfgate.com/restaurants/ar...p?t=59a2e16e51

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Bill (10-16-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Interesting article......

What do you attribute the 1-20 change to???
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #3 | Top
    I'm from the West! Out there, beyond the horizon, past the sunset.
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 7 Posts

Those motherfuckers are ALWAYS the victim.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

It started with the urban renewal of the Fillmore District in the '60's. Used to be called the Harlem of the West. A number of blacks left for Oakland and other areas when that occurred and never returned and their population has been declining ever since. Now the city is so expensive even blacks who stayed are being priced out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

dukkha (10-16-2017)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Buzzard View Post
    Those motherfuckers are ALWAYS the victim.
    Notice how the OP had to throw something about white people?

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It started with the urban renewal of the Fillmore District in the '60's. Used to be called the Harlem of the West. A number of blacks left for Oakland and other areas when that occurred and never returned and their population has been declining ever since. Now the city is so expensive even blacks who stayed are being priced out.
    In short, liberal policies ensure a mostly Lilly white upper class in SF lol. High up, upper class.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Strict zoning that keeps affordable housing from being available and thus drives away lower income citizens that can not afford to live there. It's pretty obvious.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Waaaaaay over your head of course

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Waaaaaay over your head of course
    If you can get the homos and the illegals out of San Francisco, you'll have a trifecta and will have accomplished something.

It's not my fault you're one of those guilt ridden pieces of shit.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you can get the homos and the illegals out of San Francisco, you'll have a trifecta and will have accomplished something.

It's not my fault you're one of those guilt ridden pieces of shit.
    Again, waaaaay over your head

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Again, waaaaay over your head
    Again, you're a guilt ridden piece of trash.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you are so inclined this is a very long article on urban renewal nationally and then specifically SF and the Fillmore District where a large portion of blacks in SF lived.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoodlin...der-to-save-it

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course. They hate that White people still own them.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Buzzard View Post
    Of course. They hate that White people still own them.
    Aren't you a peach

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Aren't you a peach
    Aren't you a POS