Members banned from this thread: evince and Booyah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right wing snowflakes on campus

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Right wing snowflakes on campus

The majority of anti free speech and shouting down of speakers on today's college campuses come from liberals but in the honor of fairness here are some right wing activist snowflakes at Whittier College doing the exact thing. And they weren't even students, they were adults. Sad and pathetic.

Snowflakes on the Right: Conservative Hecklers Shut Down Speakers at Whittier College

Life comes at you fast.

Last week, at Whitter College in California, guest speakers were heckled by angry members of the audience, forcing organizers to end the event early.

This time, the hecklers were neither liberal nor students. They were conservative activists, and adults (in age, if not temperament).

The speakers were California Attorney General Xavier Becerra and Assembly Leader Ian Calderon. They had pledged to answer questions from the general public, but several irate MAGA-hat-wearing audience members were intent on hijacking the event from the get-go. Arthur Schaper, a pro-Trump activist, interrupted the speakers constantly with cries of "Respect our president!" and "Build the wall!" and also accusations like "Corruption!" and "Pothead!" At one point he told the woman seated in front of him—who wanted to actually hear Calderon and Becerra—that she was a lying twat.

The whole thing was captured on video. The video footage was taken by the hecklers. They were evidently proud of their actions.

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education's Adam Steinbaugh first brought this incident to my attention. According to Steinbaugh:

The First Amendment specifically protects the right to demand a redress of grievances, and government should not have the power to punish any and every instance of incivility or protest — including during meetings and discussions on a college campus. But the right to criticize and protest public officials does not encompass a right to intentionally prevent a speaker from addressing an audience in a closed space.

This is exactly what the protesters were doing: Because Becerra is a critic of Trump and a part of the lawsuit against DACA, he deserved to be shouted down, in their view.

This shameful act of censorship is a good reminder that even though angry far-left students are at fault in the majority of recent college free speech debacles, they are by no means the only or paramount threat to the First Amendment—on campus or anywhere else. Such a distinction belongs first and foremost to President Trump, whose repeated calls for muzzling of the press and abridgments of the speech rights of people he dislikes are, in the opinion of The Atlantic's eminently reasonable civil libertarian Conor Friedersdorf, grounds for impeachment. Trump's censorious supporters in California seem cut from the same cloth.

Indeed, recent events are proving that the current censorious impulse on the left is widely shared by the administrative right, even on campus. Take Drexel University Professor George Ciccariello-Maher, a far-left activist who routinely uses his Twitter platform to castigate free speech as a tool of oppression. Recently, Drexel placed Ciccariello-Maher on administrative leave after the professor blamed the Las Vegas shooting on "the white supremacist patriarchy, stupid." Life comes at you fast, particularly if you are a critic of extending free speech rights to offensive speakers who nevertheless needs these protections to defend your own deeply offensive views.

Drexel weakly asserted that it was looking out for Ciccariello-Maher's personal safety—conservatives were none too happy with his tweets—demonstrating once again how dangerous it is to prioritize nebulous safety concerns over free expression. The professor absolutely deserves to make controversial statements on Twitter, even though he himself would not agree if the shoe was on the other foot. Beware campus leftists who want to end the discussion before it begins, and beware conservatives—and their friend in the White House—who would censor their foes with the exact same enthusiasm.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/16/wh...p-shutdown/amp

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Bill (10-16-2017), Pappy Jones (10-16-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    you support the shutting down of people speaking?

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    you support the shutting down of people speaking?
    Do you? Mine was a response of sarcasm. Trying to find equivalency with what the left is doing these days deserves ridicule and scorn. Sorry; but that is MY opinion.

I know you like playing the moderate; I like dealing with reality and facts.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Do you? Mine was a response of sarcasm. Trying to find equivalency with what the left is doing these days deserves ridicule and scorn. Sorry; but that is MY opinion.

What does the first sentence in the OP state? What does the second word say? Where am I drawing equivalency?

I'm sorry if the principle of not believing speakers at campus should be shouted down and supporting free speech is disagreeable to you but I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say its ok when 'my side' does it after repeatedly b*tching about the left doing it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Bill (10-16-2017)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

What does the first sentence in the OP state? What does the second word say? Where am I drawing equivalency?

I'm sorry if the principle of not believing speakers at campus should be shouted down and supporting free speech is disagreeable to you but I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say its ok when 'my side' does it after repeatedly b*tching about the left doing it.
    Some would prefer you STFU about when your/their side does it & yell your head off when the other side does "it"......

You know you hit a nerve when the immoral start talking about moral equivalences.......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,695 Times in 27,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

The First Amendment specifically protects the right to demand a redress of grievances, and government should not have the power to punish any and every instance of incivility or protest — including during meetings and discussions on a college campus.
    Pretty sure Whittier College is a private school, and thus the first amendment does not apply. I have never heard anywhere that first amendment rights are sacrosanct and inviolable on private property.

Which is why I am always astounded that unrepentant racists are allowed to run all over this board, which is private property, calling black posters n*ggers, and female posters c*nts. I personally don't know anybody, not a single person, who would allow their private property to be used like that.

Now, dispensing with the bogus first amendment argument, it certainly is rude and uncouth to shout down individuals at a some meeting. That is a matter of civil discourse....not a matter of constitutional law.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (10-17-2017)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Pretty sure Whittier College is a private school, and thus the first amendment does not apply. I have never heard anywhere that first amendment rights are sacrosanct and inviolable on private property.

Which is why I am always astounded that unrepentant racists are allowed to run all over this board, which is private property, calling black posters n*ggers, and female posters c*nts. I personally don't know anybody, not a single person, who would allow their private property to be used like that.

Now, dispensing with the bogus first amendment argument, it certainly is rude and uncouth to shout down individuals at a some meeting. That is a matter of civil discourse....not a matter of constitutional law.
    Did neither you nor TD read the first sentence I wrote? I specifically said the shouting down of speakers which is exactly what happened at Whittier. What is the confusion?

Free speech issues have come up at public universities like Berkeley, the ironically self proclaimed home of the free speech movement.

This board isn't really combarable to college campuses

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

why don't you volunteer to be a mod and chase down offending posts, and suspend accounts, and handle the members when you do so-and take a lot of carping criticism like yours for their troubles

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 11 Times in 10 Posts

@cawacko Thanks for the post, needs to be brought out when the Right does it too, just you don't see it often from them like this. What is disturbing, to me, is the couple recent events when the Left shutdown a liberal event, such as the ACLU speaker at William & Mary; if the Left can't get themselves together shit is really going to go down hill.

The only issue I have with the article is "This time, the hecklers were neither liberal nor students. They were conservative activists, and adults (in age, if not temperament)." Unless they graduated High School early, students ARE adults, if not (in temperament) then their parents and educators are to blame.
    Last edited by Pappy Jones; 10-16-2017 at 11:56 PM.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

This time, the hecklers were neither liberal nor students. They were conservative activists, and adults
    (in age, if not temperament).
    we don't listen to each other anymore, but we do a bang up job of heckling speakers off stage we disagree with

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Neither Trump nor Trumptards believe in free speech.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Bill (10-17-2017)

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

The majority of anti free speech and shouting down of speakers on today's college campuses come from liberals but in the honor of fairness here are some right wing activist snowflakes at Whittier College doing the exact thing. And they weren't even students, they were adults. Sad and pathetic.

Snowflakes on the Right: Conservative Hecklers Shut Down Speakers at Whittier College

Life comes at you fast.

Last week, at Whitter College in California, guest speakers were heckled by angry members of the audience, forcing organizers to end the event early.

This time, the hecklers were neither liberal nor students. They were conservative activists, and adults (in age, if not temperament).

The speakers were California Attorney General Xavier Becerra and Assembly Leader Ian Calderon. They had pledged to answer questions from the general public, but several irate MAGA-hat-wearing audience members were intent on hijacking the event from the get-go. Arthur Schaper, a pro-Trump activist, interrupted the speakers constantly with cries of "Respect our president!" and "Build the wall!" and also accusations like "Corruption!" and "Pothead!" At one point he told the woman seated in front of him—who wanted to actually hear Calderon and Becerra—that she was a lying twat.

The whole thing was captured on video. The video footage was taken by the hecklers. They were evidently proud of their actions.

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education's Adam Steinbaugh first brought this incident to my attention. According to Steinbaugh:

The First Amendment specifically protects the right to demand a redress of grievances, and government should not have the power to punish any and every instance of incivility or protest — including during meetings and discussions on a college campus. But the right to criticize and protest public officials does not encompass a right to intentionally prevent a speaker from addressing an audience in a closed space.

This is exactly what the protesters were doing: Because Becerra is a critic of Trump and a part of the lawsuit against DACA, he deserved to be shouted down, in their view.

This shameful act of censorship is a good reminder that even though angry far-left students are at fault in the majority of recent college free speech debacles, they are by no means the only or paramount threat to the First Amendment—on campus or anywhere else. Such a distinction belongs first and foremost to President Trump, whose repeated calls for muzzling of the press and abridgments of the speech rights of people he dislikes are, in the opinion of The Atlantic's eminently reasonable civil libertarian Conor Friedersdorf, grounds for impeachment. Trump's censorious supporters in California seem cut from the same cloth.

Indeed, recent events are proving that the current censorious impulse on the left is widely shared by the administrative right, even on campus. Take Drexel University Professor George Ciccariello-Maher, a far-left activist who routinely uses his Twitter platform to castigate free speech as a tool of oppression. Recently, Drexel placed Ciccariello-Maher on administrative leave after the professor blamed the Las Vegas shooting on "the white supremacist patriarchy, stupid." Life comes at you fast, particularly if you are a critic of extending free speech rights to offensive speakers who nevertheless needs these protections to defend your own deeply offensive views.

Drexel weakly asserted that it was looking out for Ciccariello-Maher's personal safety—conservatives were none too happy with his tweets—demonstrating once again how dangerous it is to prioritize nebulous safety concerns over free expression. The professor absolutely deserves to make controversial statements on Twitter, even though he himself would not agree if the shoe was on the other foot. Beware campus leftists who want to end the discussion before it begins, and beware conservatives—and their friend in the White House—who would censor their foes with the exact same enthusiasm.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/16/wh...p-shutdown/amp
    This is hardly fair Wacko. Of course there is going to be more rude liberals shouting down conservative speakers on a college campus. Academia is hardly a conservative value these days.

If you really want a true apples to apples comparison of how conservatives feel about liberal free speech (sorry about the redundant phrase) you need to send a liberal ideologue to a conservative intellectual institution such as a Bowling Ally or a NASCAR race (which is ironic given how they turn left there). Not a chance they would be heard. So this is not a liberal or conservative issue so much as a life in a fishbowl issue.

People need to get out more often and associate with people who aren’t just like them.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-18-2017)

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Can see it now..... The victim pummeled w/ beer cans & then arrested as the "good folks" cheer for more blood.........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    This is hardly fair Wacko. Of course there is going to be more rude liberals shouting down conservative speakers on a college campus. Academia is hardly a conservative value these days.

If you really want a true apples to apples comparison of how conservatives feel about liberal free speech (sorry about the redundant phrase) you need to send a liberal ideologue to a conservative intellectual institution such as a Bowling Ally or a NASCAR race (which is ironic given how they turn left there). Not a chance they would be heard. So this is not a liberal or conservative issue so much as a life in a fishbowl issue.

People need to get out more often and associate with people who aren’t just like them.
    Hey, Mott, The Dude bowls, man! Why you gotta be hating on bowling alleys? It's, like, rude, or something... man!