Thread: Austria election RESULTS: Eurosceptics poised to celebrate in nightmare for Brussels

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Default Austria election RESULTS: Eurosceptics poised to celebrate in nightmare for Brussels

SEBASTIAN Kurz is expected to clinch victory in the Austria elections, according to the latest projections, which could see him form an alliance with the far right in a crushing blow for the European Union.

Mr Kurz's party is tough on migration, easy on taxes and widely Eurosceptic after rebranding itself over the last few months to propel its popularity in the wealthy Alpine nation.

It is expected to form a coalition with the right-wing populist Freedom party, who got 29 per cent of the vote, according to the exit poll.

Meanwhile, the Social Democratic Party, the largest party in the last government, are in third place with 25 per cent.
    The stunning result will come as a crushing blow to the EU and essentially a strong vote against liberal politics, pedalled by France and Germany.

Sunday’s result shows a move away from the middle ground and comes just a month after Germany's far-right Alternative für Deutschland (AfD) won nearly 13 percent of the German vote.

Mr Kurz was one of the backers of the recent law imposed in Austria banning the burka.

He was also instrumental in closing down the Balkan route into Europe used by Middle Eastern refugees.

Mr Kurz’s OVP has promised to cut access to social welfare benefits for refugees for at least five years.

It comes after Austria was used as a gateway for nearly 900,000 migrants making their way to Germany.

It also received more than 68,000 applications for asylum in 2015.

His party was founded by ex-Nazis in the 1950s. It nearly won the presidency last year and topped opinion polls in the midst of Europe's migrant crisis.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...a-live-updates
    über liberalism, political correctness, and social justice warriors are giving rise to the far right in Europe.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

dukkha (10-15-2017), Life is Golden (10-15-2017), Stretch (10-15-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,650 Times in 27,304 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    über liberalism, political correctness, and social justice warriors are giving rise to the far right in Europe.
    Interesting theory: it is liberals' fault that bigots are racists.
    Me? I blame racists for being racist.

As for Austria, I always remember that they were one of the few nations that welcomed Hitler with open arms, cheering for him in adulation.
    While other countries, like my fellow Russian brethren, decided to fight Hitler to the death.
    British, Poles, Serbs choose to put up fierce resistance to the Nazis. Not the Austrians though. Perhaps that says something about a Austria and it's nexus with the rightwing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (10-15-2017)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Interesting theory: it is liberals' fault that bigots are racists.
    Me? I blame racists for being racist.

As for Austria, I always remember that they were one of the few nations that welcomed Hitler with open arms, cheering for him in adulation.
    While other countries, like my fellow Russian brethren, decided to fight Hitler to the death.
    British, Poles, Serbs choose to put up fierce resistance to the Nazis. Not the Austrians though. Perhaps that says something about a Austria and it's nexus with the rightwing.
    It's no theory. Hyper liberalism and political correctness antifas are moving moderates into the far right camp because they have to choose between one or the other. Apparently the far right is the better of the two evils.
    Typical is my son in law. He normally votes SPD, but felt compelled to vote AfD last election.

How many years have you actually lived in Europe? I was there in the mid '90's till the early '00's. Muslims have almost zero chance of integrating into European culture. They're better off here and in Canada.
    Seems you're uncomfortable with facts.
    As far as your 'fellow Russian brethren' you seem to forget what those bastards did to Muslim Chechnyans..
    Last edited by Cancel 2018.1; 10-15-2017 at 02:20 PM.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    It's no theory. Hyper liberalism and political correctness antifas are moving moderates into the far right camp because they have to choose between one or the other. Apparently the far right is the better of the two evils.
    Typical is my son in law. He normally votes SPD, but felt compelled to vote AfD last election.

How many years have you actually lived in Europe? I was there in the mid '90's till the early '00's. Muslims have almost zero chance of integrating into European culture. They're better off here and in Canada.
    Seems you're uncomfortable with facts.
    As far as your 'fellow Russian brethren' you seem to forget what those bastards did to Muslim Chechnyans..
    Going to be hard to argue with that fact.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

A great day in Austria.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.