Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Executive order on Obamacare

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Because there is no good reason not to lol.

I think it could be a game changer but the issue has been confined to health insurance. You can't blame health insurance for the cost of their product when the cost of their product is tied directly to the cost of healthcare. Bring the cost of healthcare down, and the cost of health insurance will follow.

Especially, if they would force health insurers to compete across state lines.
    I've seen Medicare bills.
    Outrageous prices passed on for payment,and while the government won't pay the full claims, the high claims themselves drive up costs

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I've seen Medicare bills.
    Outrageous prices passed on for payment,and while the government won't pay the full claims, the high claims themselves drive up costs
    The waste is insane. I see it daily.

Surgeon X takes 3.5-4 hours to do the same thing surgeon Y does in two hours. Patients are charged by the minute for OR time and anesthesia. They come in totally clueless about the costs involved, yet they can be astronomically different.

They're being deprived a choice and it's not right.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

dukkha (10-16-2017)

4. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

what a great idea, maybe Trump will think of that...oh wait....snap
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

5. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    what a great idea, maybe Trump will think of that...oh wait....snap
    Well, it wasn't Trump's idea lol.

Some of us were kicking and screaming for it in 2009.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

6. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Surgeon X takes 3.5-4 hours to do the same thing surgeon Y does in two hours. Patients are charged by the minute for OR time and anesthesia. They come in totally clueless about the costs involved, yet they can be astronomically different.

And it's worse than that, a lot worse.
    Physicians at the primary health care level are forced to join the corrupt game of recovering the lack of paying for services from the have nots.

next time you are having your physical and the assistant asks you "do you feel safe at home",
    know that the good doctor has just charged your insurance company a couple of hundred bucks for a "wellness check".
    Well, it wasn't Trump's idea lol.

Some of us were kicking and screaming for it in 2009.
    and no one had the balls to legislate it until Trump, by bill or by executive order, he was going to do it. Because he understands how business works, competition

7. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,734 Times in 14,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Meaningless distinction since many products are delivered during the service of healthcare.
    Odd that you start with this sentence, and then follow with your idea about how costs could be lowered. How about lowering the cost of meds that are $1000/week for some patients?

One way to drive costs down would be forcing hospitals and practitioners to advertise the costs of their service. That would allow consumers to shop according to price like they do, literally, for every other service/product.

There are at least two ways I know of to laparoscopically remove an appendix. One is with an expensive stapler that cuts and seals the tissue all in one step. It works wonderfully but it's frightfully expensive. The other method is relatively low-tech but produces the same result. The patient would have absolutely no clue which method was used.

Surgeons and other practitioners should be required to have 'an average cost per procedure' posted somewhere so patients would be better informed at how much their insurance is going to be billed. It would encourage practitioners to employ more cost effective measures in treating people. Does patient X really need such and such test or is the doctor practicing defensive medicine in ordering it?

A big part of the problem is the cost of healthcare delivery has gotten totally out of hand. Yet, no one ever talks about a cost approach to the problem.
    First...those with no insurance already do price comparisons, and yes there are marked differences between hospitals.

But....insurance pays a negotiated rate, despite what the Dr./hospital 'charges'.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

8. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Because there is no good reason not to lol.

I think it could be a game changer but the issue has been confined to health insurance. You can't blame health insurance for the cost of their product when the cost of their product is tied directly to the cost of healthcare. Bring the cost of healthcare down, and the cost of health insurance will follow.

So you don't agree with those here who call for a continuation of the 'for profit' healthcare system we have?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're conflating two issues. What a patient with no insurance would be charged, vs negotiated rates.

Every hospital will work with those who have no insurance. I ended up in the ER last year with 7 fractured ribs and an undiagnosed separated shoulder. I told them my insurer, but I didn't have my card with me. They put me in as self pay, to be sorted out later.

My 4 hour ER visit was billed at $10,000, including imaging.

Because the early bills came through as self pay, they discounted the bill to $2500 if I paid them out of pocket.

10. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Wait...the free market should force insurers to compete across state lines? Tell us the benefit of this competition. And why isn't trump opening this up to the individual market, as opposed to the group market?

11. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    You're conflating two issues. What a patient with no insurance would be charged, vs negotiated rates.

Every hospital will work with those who have no insurance. I ended up in the ER last year with 7 fractured ribs and an undiagnosed separated shoulder. I told them my insurer, but I didn't have my card with me. They put me in as self pay, to be sorted out later.

My 4 hour ER visit was billed at $10,000, including imaging.

Because the early bills came through as self pay, they discounted the bill to $2500 if I paid them out of pocket.
    You are proving the point that the free market will work better

You don’t understand why. But you did

12. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Odd that you start with this sentence, and then follow with your idea about how costs could be lowered. How about lowering the cost of meds that are $1000/week for some patients?

First...those with no insurance already do price comparisons, and yes there are marked differences between hospitals.

But....insurance pays a negotiated rate, despite what the Dr./hospital 'charges'.
    Sucks to be a doctor or hospital, huh?

How about everybody gets to do the cost comparison? Incentivize it for those with insurance---make them want to shop according to price.

13. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Our outrageous health care premiums driven by outrageous hospital costs are a result of people not paying for their hospital care or their insurance premiums.
    PERIOD

If you have a business that requires 1000 dollars a day to run and you only have one paying customer, all the others are eating free, either the one paying customer pays 1000 dollars for his meal or you can't stay open.
    PERIOD

Obamacare was just a ruse to make it look like he cared

14. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Wait...the free market should force insurers to compete across state lines? Tell us the benefit of this competition. And why isn't trump opening this up to the individual market, as opposed to the group market?
    Open it all up, competition is the consumers best friend.

15. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

it's called COBRA, heloooo in there.

look, if an "individual" calls an insurance company looking for individual insurance policy, there's no incentive for the insurance company to take that kind of risk for the pennies he will receive from that one persons premiums, hence COBRA premiums are really high.
    Do you not understand basic business? no, you don't. Neither does 95% of the yo-yo's arguing for Obamacare to remain.
    that's why we have Trump, he knows business