Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: These NFL Guys On Bended Knee.....

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 718 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 72 Times in 62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godless America View Post
    Yes, Rosebud, you are, and here's why: I never owned slaves, my ancestors never owned slaves.

I have never tolerated racism - quite the opposite, as my post history here will reveal, should you care to peruse it.

Unless you can make the case that simply living in the USA makes me complicit in racism, you are wrong. I invite you to try.

You certainly don't have the moral or legal authority to demand that I accept your characterization.
    I'm not actually interested in your personal affairs, or in making a moralistic point here.

Basically my point is this. (1) The United States is a country founded on white supremacy. (2) 'White supremacy' is not a moral disposition but a social system. (3) To benefit from white supremacy qua a social system, you do not need to display overtly racist sentiments. (3a) To participate in white supremacy, you do not need to conduct overtly racist activities. (4) Therefore, non-racist is an irrelevant category (as is the non-complity of passive individuals) and we should state that only a person who opposes racism in their action is opposed to racism.

This is basically the point that the Israelis put into law after the Eichmann trial... You are morally responsible, even if you're simply doing your job, and only active opposition or active non-participation counts if you want say you're not a racist.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,435 Times in 2,073 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 172 Times in 170 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    I'm not actually interested in your personal affairs, or in making a moralistic point here. Basically my point is this. (1) The United States is a country founded on white supremacy. (2) 'White supremacy' is not a moral disposition but a social system. (3) To benefit from white supremacy qua a social system, you do not need to display overtly racist sentiments. (3a) To participate in white supremacy, you do not need to conduct overtly racist activities. (4) Therefore, non-racist is an irrelevant category (as is the non-complity of passive individuals) and we should state that only a person who opposes racism in their action is opposed to racism. This is basically the point that the Israelis put into law after the Eichmann trial. You are morally responsible, even if you're simply doing your job, and only active opposition or active non-participation counts if you want say you're not a racist.

I reject your assumptions, Rosebud, on the grounds that you have not supported them with credible evidence that compels me to accept them.

I don't need your permission to say that I am no racist, Rosebud, nor am I obliged to measure up to a standard you have concocted out of whole cloth.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I reject your assumptions, Rosebud, on the grounds that you have not supported them with credible evidence that compels me to accept them.

I don't need your permission to say that I am no racist, Rosebud, nor am I obliged to measure up to a standard you have concocted out of whole cloth.
    Which claims do you want evidence for?

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Which claims do you want evidence for?
    I don't believe that I mentioned any "claims", Rosebud.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    Do you see all dissent in that light?

Weird attitude to me. America has always been great because of our Constitution & principles, but people have always protested & took a stand against inequality, injustice & other problems. Even today, America is far from perfect, and people of all ideologies still fight to have the country's practices match its ideals.

You can say that the specifics of this protest - kneeling for the anthem - make this "different" somehow, but there have been all kinds of uncomfortable protests that moved our country ahead in important ways throughout our history.
    I'm not going to pretend that what these idiots are doing is the same thing as actually going out and participating in/organizing a protest (and coherently putting together arguments), and neither should you. All they are doing is giving America the finger. This isn't about telling them to stop; it's about getting idiots and liars to realize/admit to what they are doing.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

dukkha (10-07-2017), Stretch (10-07-2017), Truth Detector (10-08-2017)

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't believe that I mentioned any "claims", Rosebud.
    You are why people have abortions

8. The Following User Says Thank You to I'm Watermark For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-08-2017)

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 552 Times in 487 Posts

You are why people have abortions
    What a horrible thing to say.

............ geez .. you're full of hate.
    MAGA IS ALIVE AND WELL.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to philly rabbit For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-08-2017)

11. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by philly rabbit View Post
    What a horrible thing to say.

............ geez .. you're full of hate.
    It's not hate that little Rosebud is full of.

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    I'm not going to pretend that what these idiots are doing is the same thing as actually going out and participating in/organizing a protest (and coherently putting together arguments), and neither should you. All they are doing is giving America the finger. This isn't about telling them to stop; it's about getting idiots and liars to realize/admit to what they are doing.
    Protest comes in all shapes & sizes. A lot of it is simply to get people talking about an issue. People STILL talk about those dudes at the Olympics in the '70's who raised their fists.

The narrative that these are just "dumb athletes" is tired & lazy. For some, it takes a lot of courage to do what they're doing. Again - it likely cost Kaep millions, and a job. That's not just some doofus who hasn't thought things through. He's someone who is willing to give up his career to fight for equality - and by extension, improve this great country.

13. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

it's unfocused angst..there is nothing coherent or continuous messaging.
    The whole thing looks like an ad hoc misadventure

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Stretch (10-07-2017)

15. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dupe View Post
    Nobody, and that's the point. Racism is a social institution, and people execute racism by living according to the norms of a white supremacist society, even if they don't wear hoods and fly swastikas. You can, as it were, opt-out, but only by actively opposing white supremacy as a militant. You don't get to live in America, love it and laud it as the greatest nation on earth, and say you're not a racist.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

16. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dupe View Post
    Basically my point is this.

(1) The United States is a country founded on white supremacy.
    (2) 'White supremacy' is not a moral disposition but a social system.
    (3) To benefit from white supremacy qua a social system, you do not need to display overtly racist sentiments.
    (3a) To participate in white supremacy, you do not need to conduct overtly racist activities.
    (4) Therefore, non-racist is an irrelevant category (as is the non-complity of passive individuals) and we should state that only a person who opposes racism in their action is opposed to racism.
    The DNC Party Platform. Any questions?

I hope the Party of the Jackass runs on this.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

17. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

^Gets it.

18. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleThingy View Post
    Protest comes in all shapes & sizes. A lot of it is simply to get people talking about an issue. People STILL talk about those dudes at the Olympics in the '70's who raised their fists.

The narrative that these are just "dumb athletes" is tired & lazy. For some, it takes a lot of courage to do what they're doing. Again - it likely cost Kaep millions, and a job. That's not just some doofus who hasn't thought things through. He's someone who is willing to give up his career to fight for equality - and by extension, improve this great country.
    LittleThingy thinks this is honest debate.

19. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    it's unfocused angst..there is nothing coherent or continuous messaging.
    The whole thing looks like an ad hoc misadventure
    This.

All they are doing is driving people away from anything worth hearing that they may happen to stand for. Even though I happen to disagree with the position that racial police targeting is an epidemic, I believe that a dialogue over such a potentially important matter is important to have. Protesting the flag and the anthem is a great way to shutdown that dialogue.