HE GOT 5 HOURS SLEEP WHILE SHE TOOLED AROUND IN A JEEP, THE CREEP

Puerto Rico’s governor says efforts to restore cell service, gas and other basic needs to the island’s rural residents are progressing. "If you see the numbers,” he said, “you see there is a steady path to improvement.”

Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) officials reported that a third of the island’s telecommunications network had been restored, and some 765 gas stations - well over half - had fuel.

Maria, the most powerful storm to strike Puerto Rico in nearly 90 years, has destroyed roads, making it difficult to get food, water and fuel around the island.

In the rural towns of Salinas and Fajardo, locals reported having no cell service on Friday and Saturday, and said they had not seen local or federal officials in the area.

“We haven’t seen a government official or anything, no FEMA, no military, no local government,” said Daniel Santiago, 51, of Fajardo, as he waited in line to get into a food store.

Rossello challenged the idea that the government is failing to reach rural towns - a perception he says is fueled by a “severe limitation with communication.”

“I personally went to Salinas with seven National Guard trucks full of food and water,” he said. “You can always find somebody that hasn’t received resources, and I recognize that.”

Government response to the disaster has become a focal point in recent days, with President Trump facing harsh criticism from San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz. Rossello refused to criticize the president. “My only focus right now is to make sure the people of Puerto Rico are well,” Rossello said.

Trump will visit the island on Tuesday.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-puerto-rico-governor-says-relief-arriving-to-storm-ravaged-rural-areas-2017-10