Thread: Why the people of Florida are wussies...............where do people from an island

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 78 Posts

Default Why the people of Florida are wussies...............where do people from an island

evacuate to when there is a hurricane? No where, that is where, but the people in Florida run like babies from the WEAKENED storm

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

People in Puerto Rico probably go to the highlands to avoid being flooded. There are no highlands in Florida.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck and Nancy View Post
    People in Puerto Rico probably go to the highlands to avoid being flooded. There are no highlands in Florida.
    Excellent point and this is why Florida needs to be evacuated permanently, make it a national park

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDonald View Post
    evacuate to when there is a hurricane? No where, that is where, but the people in Florida run like babies from the WEAKENED storm
    What great state do you hail from?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    What great state do you hail from?
    NJ..........................Hurricane Sandy produced a 20 foot storm surge, that had 20 foot waves on top of it. That's 40 feet of water hitting you. Miami is 3 feet above sea level, those waves would have toppled high rises

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

NJ..........................Hurricane Sandy produced a 20 foot storm surge, that had 20 foot waves on top of it. That's 40 feet of water hitting you. Miami is 3 feet above sea level, those waves would have toppled high rises
    I am expecting that level seas tonight. They are already building rapidly. I am in the Caribbean. If NJ had as much advanced notice for Sandy as Florida did for Irma I am sure a lot more people would have left. Always better to err on the side of caution I am sure you would agree.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am expecting that level seas tonight. They are already building rapidly. I am in the Caribbean. If NJ had as much advanced notice for Sandy as Florida did for Irma I am sure a lot more people would have left. Always better to err on the side of caution I am sure you would agree.
    Actually the percentage of people that need to evacuate is dependent on various factors, one of the most important is the land height over sea level. Miami is 3 feet over sea level, again Sandy would have eliminated Miami. This is why Florida does need to be evacuated PERMANENTLY. The rebuilding from hurricane Andrew in 1992 is still not complete and never will be at this rate. People are the problem, not hurricanes

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Actually the percentage of people that need to evacuate is dependent on various factors, one of the most important is the land height over sea level. Miami is 3 feet over sea level, again Sandy would have eliminated Miami. This is why Florida does need to be evacuated PERMANENTLY. The rebuilding from hurricane Andrew in 1992 is still not complete and never will be at this rate. People are the problem, not hurricanes
    While you assessment of land height over sea level is absolutely correct, that is a little harsh. People are not going to move from where they live unless forcibly removed right? To Floridians that have been there forever that is home. Like NJ is to many.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

While you assessment of land height over sea level is absolutely correct, that is a little harsh. People are not going to move from where they live unless forcibly removed right? To Floridians that have been there forever that is home. Like NJ is to many.
    But does the government and the national taxpayer have the responsibility to keep rebuilding homes that are damaged year after year and never really dry out and settle as all new homes do, before being blown or washed away? The answer is no, and in fact rebuilding these homes is only creating more heartache down the road, people deserve better, there are places that humans do not belong.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But does the government and the national taxpayer have the responsibility to keep rebuilding homes that are damaged year after year and never really dry out and settle as all new homes do, before being blown or washed away? The answer is no, and in fact rebuilding these homes is only creating more heartache down the road, people deserve better, there are places that humans do not belong.
    I agree with you on this. If a homeowner wants to pay the increased insurance and foot the bill to rebuild should something happen, let them. Nobody but the homeowner should be paying that though.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I agree with you on this. If a homeowner wants to pay the increased insurance and foot the bill to rebuild should something happen, let them. Nobody but the homeowner should be paying that though.
    Were any of the homes insured for flood? I doubt it as there are places that are uninsurable, which is why the government steps in to give grants and low cost loans, that they never gave me.......................................Florida should be condemned for human habitation, give it back to the mosquitos and gators

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Were any of the homes insured for flood? I doubt it as there are places that are uninsurable, which is why the government steps in to give grants and low cost loans, that they never gave me.......................................Florida should be condemned for human habitation, give it back to the mosquitos and gators
    I cannot answer that. I do not know. It is not up to government nor the taxpayer to give grants or low cost loans for insurance. There are enough people that want to live in the flood zones and other places to form something like a co-op to buy bulk insurance from insurance companies. That kind of buying power would give them some negotiating power with them.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I cannot answer that. I do not know. It is not up to government nor the taxpayer to give grants or low cost loans for insurance. There are enough people that want to live in the flood zones and other places to form something like a co-op to buy bulk insurance from insurance companies. That kind of buying power would give them some negotiating power with them.
    You can not buy flood insurance in flood zones, you can buy general home insurance that will not cover flood and wind damage. The government does not give loans for insurance, they give grants and very low cost fema loans to rebuild these homes, so that in the near future, they can. give grants and very low cost fema loans to rebuild these homes, so that in the near future, they can. give grants and very low cost fema loans to rebuild these homes, so that in the near future, they can. give grants and very low cost fema loans to rebuild these homes, so that in the near future, they can.

This ends when the last hurricane roars thru, which is never. At some point throwing in the towel is the right thing