Thread: Any going to watch? Ken Burns Doc Dismisses Origins of the Vietnam War

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,771 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    A new PBS documentary on the Vietnam War offers a powerful, in-depth look at one of the most trying periods in U.S. history, and some at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are concerned it could stir up deeply painful emotions for veterans of the conflict.

The VA has partnered with PBS to offer counseling to vets with PTSD who might find watching the documentary too difficult.

"It could bring up some memories [veterans] don't want to deal with. It could bring up some memories they may need to deal with," Henry Peterson, a chaplain at the VA in San Diego who counsels vets with PTSD, told NCPR.

New Hampshire Representative Steve Shurtleff, who served in Vietnam, is encouraging vets to take advantage of the counseling services offered by the VA.

"Those of us who served in Vietnam, I think, tend to be closed-mouth and don't really want to talk a lot about it," Shurtleff told NHPR. "I think it's healthy that we do and talk to people that understand and can possibly give us some advice to deal with the emotions we're still feeling."

More than 200,000 Vietnam vets continue to have full war-zone-related PTSD decades after the war, according to a 2015 study spearheaded by Dr. Charles R. Marmar of the New York University Langone Medical Center.

War movies, in particular, have been known to trigger PTSD symptoms for vets, according to Tina Mayes, a VA staff psychologist.

"I would say the majority of veterans that I work with, when their symptoms are high, they're actively avoiding any media," Mayes told NCPR.

When Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan was released in 1998, the VA set up a hotline for vets who found themselves reliving the horrors of World War II due to the film's graphic imagery. Hundreds of veterans ended up calling in.

Some veterans say they won't watch the documentary—produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick—largely because they don't want to revisit the negativity and anti-war sentiments they were met with upon returning from Vietnam, according to Dr. Tom Bellino, who was a Navy psychologist during the war.

"There is no doubt that all war is hell, but without the support of the people who send you into that war...it is an even greater hell," Bellino recently wrote. He hopes the new documentary helps Vietnam vets "put away some of the demons that often come at night."

By John Haltiwanger

We have recorded it, and I wondered about this, thanks

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,771 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    A new PBS documentary on the Vietnam War offers a powerful, in-depth look at one of the most trying periods in U.S. history, and some at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are concerned it could stir up deeply painful emotions for veterans of the conflict.

The VA has partnered with PBS to offer counseling to vets with PTSD who might find watching the documentary too difficult.

"It could bring up some memories [veterans] don't want to deal with. It could bring up some memories they may need to deal with," Henry Peterson, a chaplain at the VA in San Diego who counsels vets with PTSD, told NCPR.

New Hampshire Representative Steve Shurtleff, who served in Vietnam, is encouraging vets to take advantage of the counseling services offered by the VA.

"Those of us who served in Vietnam, I think, tend to be closed-mouth and don't really want to talk a lot about it," Shurtleff told NHPR. "I think it's healthy that we do and talk to people that understand and can possibly give us some advice to deal with the emotions we're still feeling."

More than 200,000 Vietnam vets continue to have full war-zone-related PTSD decades after the war, according to a 2015 study spearheaded by Dr. Charles R. Marmar of the New York University Langone Medical Center.

War movies, in particular, have been known to trigger PTSD symptoms for vets, according to Tina Mayes, a VA staff psychologist.

"I would say the majority of veterans that I work with, when their symptoms are high, they're actively avoiding any media," Mayes told NCPR.

When Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan was released in 1998, the VA set up a hotline for vets who found themselves reliving the horrors of World War II due to the film's graphic imagery. Hundreds of veterans ended up calling in.

Some veterans say they won't watch the documentary—produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick—largely because they don't want to revisit the negativity and anti-war sentiments they were met with upon returning from Vietnam, according to Dr. Tom Bellino, who was a Navy psychologist during the war.

"There is no doubt that all war is hell, but without the support of the people who send you into that war...it is an even greater hell," Bellino recently wrote. He hopes the new documentary helps Vietnam vets "put away some of the demons that often come at night."

By John Haltiwanger

We have recorded it, and I wondered about this, thanks

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

I watched a couple mins of it & turned back to some youtubes.........

I was not intending to watch it but rather Charlie Rose, but the guy was on there as well for the hour...
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I watched a couple mins of it & turned back to some youtubes.........

I was not intending to watch it but rather Charlie Rose, but the guy was on there as well for the hour...
    Ken Burns?? what's the problem?
    His Civil War series was the best. Many personal letters read over from soldiers in battle as well as the history.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Corazón View Post
    Not if you go in the cool season, between November to March. Can't get PBS so not able to see it!
    There was a distinct difference between the North and South when I was there last Feb. South was hot and muggy. North was pleasant.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    There was a distinct difference between the North and South when I was there last Feb. South was hot and muggy. North was pleasant.
    I was there in 2016 in February. It actually snowed in Central Vietnam and Hanoi was bloody cold and wet. Saigon was great, you could walk around anywhere during the day without getting soaked to the skin with sweat.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 09-22-2017 at 01:45 AM.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I won't watch it only because I've already watched a documentary series on it plus I've read extensively including a biography of Ho Chi Minh.
    Ho was the leader who just happened to have communist indoctrination. He actually asked for Washington's assistance in freeing Vietnam from French rule (who basically treated the Vietnamese like slaves).
    Lyndon Johnson should have been shot for the Gulf of Tonkin non incident and starting that war. Good that he drank and smoked himself to death.
    i read MacClear's The 10,000 day war book and Peter Arnet's documentary based on his book. Burns will have a hard time beating that. If Burns tries to sweep The Vietnam War colonial antecedents under the rug he's doing history an injustice and an injustice.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

A previous major PBS series on the conflict in 1983, based on a book by a veteran Vietnam correspondent suggesting that the war was less than honorable, provoked a loud right-wing backlash.
    Now there is a trip down memory lane!

One does not see it as much these days, but for most of my adult life rightwingers were constantly lecturing that we should have stayed in Vietnam, we should have kept fighting....until the final victory!

When you think about it, that rightwing resentment and anti-communist paranoia spawned some great American classic films, from Rambo to Red Dawn. Wolverines!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (09-22-2017), Phantasmal (09-22-2017)

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

I just watched the 1st episode. I already know twice as much as I ever knew about that war.

Really good so far.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-22-2017)

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    I just watched the 1st episode. I already know twice as much as I ever knew about that war.

Really good so far.
    Does it have all those still pics that pan out during narration? I don't think I can sit thru that.

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Does it have all those still pics that pan out during narration? I don't think I can sit thru that.
    A surprising amount of live footage, considering that they were mostly covering the '40's and '50's. A lot of Ho Chi Minh as a younger man - I really didn't know much about his background, but it was pretty interesting stuff.

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    A surprising amount of live footage, considering that they were mostly covering the '40's and '50's. A lot of Ho Chi Minh as a younger man - I really didn't know much about his background, but it was pretty interesting stuff.
    Then I'll probably take a gander at it . I'm pretty saturated with the topic though.

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Now there is a trip down memory lane!

One does not see it as much these days, but for most of my adult life rightwingers were constantly lecturing that we should have stayed in Vietnam, we should have kept fighting....until the final victory!

When you think about it, that rightwing resentment and anti-communist paranoia spawned some great American classic films, from Rambo to Red Dawn. Wolverines!!

the right wing in this nation has always lived in mind numbing shit your pants terror over some threat that they've been propagandized into fearing.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 09-22-2017 at 05:47 AM.

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    i thought the show made that clear..i've seen a couple episodes now..It's Burns at his best
    as as usual -the research and film is incredible..great depth

I look at the patriotism of those who went - for me it was always a "bad war" but for others it was defending from Communism,etc.
    And of course many were draftees
    What exactly is a good war?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-22-2017)

18. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It will be interesting to see how the under fifty crowd who were born after the war view it. During the war, which was before the WWII generation was mythologized, the boomer generation, to which I belong, largely blamed them for their slavish devotion to the military industrial complex for the Vietnam war.

That resentment between the two generations underlies much of the massive cultural and social changes that post Vietnam generations now take for granted.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-22-2017)