Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any going to watch? Ken Burns Doc Dismisses Origins of the Vietnam War

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Any going to watch? Ken Burns Doc Dismisses Origins of the Vietnam War

I might watch it @ some point...

Anyone watching?? Interested?

Strolling down a street in the city of Da Nang, Vietnam last month, I came upon a sidewalk shop selling shiny wood caskets. When I stopped to take some pictures, the elderly owner came out, smiling, and asked where I was from.

“America,” I told him, and he broke into a wide grin. Was I here during the war? he asked. I was, I said, in the Army. Then he raised his arms like he was firing a rifle. “I fought for Ho Chi Minh!” he exclaimed. I chuckled, struggling for an appropriate response. “Well,” I finally said, “I fought to stay alive.”

Nearly 50 years after the war’s end, Americans, including Vietnam veterans, are still struggling to explain how we got involved in that disastrous, and ultimately futile, war. And that goes for Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, directors of The Vietnam War, a much-heralded 10-part, 18-hour epic series that debutted Sunday night on PBS.

Burns says he began thinking about revisiting the Vietnam War decades ago, but decided the national psyche wasn’t ready for it. A previous major PBS series on the conflict in 1983, based on a book by a veteran Vietnam correspondent suggesting that the war was less than honorable, provoked a loud right-wing backlash. So he decided to wait.

Now, Burns says, it’s time to talk—and get over it. “With knowledge comes healing,” he told Vanity Fair. “The seeds of disunion we experience today, the polarization, the lack of civil discourse all had their seeds in Vietnam,” Burns told The New York Times. “I can’t imagine a better way to help pull out some of the fuel rods that create this radioactive atmosphere than to talk about Vietnam in a calm way.”

Good luck with that, as we said in ‘Nam. While the TV critics have been agog with praise and wonder over the series’s cinematic mastery, depth of research (some 80 interviews of participants on all sides) historical sweep and emotional punch, some veterans and longtime students of the war are already taking critical aim at the series’s fuzzy treatment of the war’s central question: Why did we get involved in the first place? Who thought that was a good idea?

Burns strives to give everyone’s strongly held, divergent views equal weight, but before long, he’s waist deep in a historical big muddy, wandering among competing theories that obscure the root cause of a war that killed an estimated minimum of 429,000 U.S. and allied soldiers and 533,000 communist troops and civilians between 1954 and 1975. Many estimates soar far above those. Millions more were wounded.

“Many veterans fear that this new documentary will misrepresent what really happened and why, substituting [the] ‘many truths’ which Burns says he will present,” Chuck Searcy, an Army Intelligence veteran of the war, said in an email to friends this week from Vietnam, where he has spent the past several years helping to rid the countryside of buried U.S. munitions that are still killing people. “It may permit us Americans, once again, to evade the harsh reckoning that is long overdue, and allow us to remain in denial about what we did in Viet Nam, and why.”

At an early screening of the film’s highlights in Washington, D.C.this spring, Burns said that, “for us, the war begins in 1945,” not 1965, when President Lyndon Johnson dispatched the first U.S. ground combat unit to South Vietnam. Good start. But in episode one, he stakes the proper context for the starting point in France’s mid-19th century conquest and colonization of territories that would eventually become Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. For the next 80 years France plundered the region for its rubber, tin and other resources, impoverishing its workers while creating a servile class of French-speaking native bureaucrats to carry out its orders, all largely financed by the opium trade. By the early 20th century, Vietnamese patriots began organizing a resistance. One of them was Ho Chi Minh.

Directors Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's ten-part, 18-hour documentary "The Vietnam War" premieres on PBS on September 17 at 8/7. Maarten de Boer/Getty

As Burns and Novick movingly show, Ho had hopes that America would come to his aid at the end of World War II, during which French hegemony over Vietnam was interrupted by Japan’s five-year occupation of the country. President Franklin D. Roosevelt had signalled during the war that the era of colonialism was over, and, as the Burns-Novick series shows, Ho and his band of rebels had enthusiastically helped America’s wartime secret service, the OSS, fight the Japanese. But with Roosevelt dead at war’s end, his successor Harry Truman let the French back in, and the revolution was on, in earnest. The French colonial army fought on—financed largely by the U.S.—for nine bloody years. But in 1954, after a disastrous defeat to Ho’s Soviet- and Chinese-backed guerrillas at a place called Dien Bien Phu in northern Vietnam, the French surrendered.

The Viet Minh might well have swept to victory throughout the country, but at a 1954 peace conference in Geneva, it accepted the “temporary” partition of Vietnam into a communist-led North and U.S.-backed South, pending elections in 1956. Two years later, the dictatorial regime installed by Washington in Saigon, honeycombed with French-trained bureaucrats and landowners, cancelled the elections knowing that Ho Chi Minh would win. And now the American war was on.

Burns and Novick know all of this—indeed, they explicate the turn of events with admirable force and verve (aided by the stellar and precise writing of historian Geoffrey Ward). But then they quickly abandon the groundwork they’ve laid putting the Vietnamese struggle in an anti-colonial context. “By Episode Two...the war has been framed as a civil war, with the United States defending a freely elected democratic government in the south against Communists invading from the north,”
    notes Vietnam scholar Thomas Bass in a slashing essay that has been circulating for weeks as a kind of anti-establishment samizdat beneath the tide of gushing advance praise for the series. “American boys are fighting a godless enemy that Burns shows as a red tide creeping across maps of Southeast Asia and the rest of the world.” If Burns meant to make sardonic use of the Cold War-era graphic, the gesture was lost on Bass, author of a highly praised book on one of North Vietnam’s top spies in the south.

“The historical footage in episode one…which disputes this view of the war, is either ignored or misunderstood,” Bass wrote last month in the tiny Mekong Review, an independent literary quarterly founded in 2015. The fact is, “defeated French forces regrouped in southern Vietnam after 1954, which is when U.S. Air Force colonel and CIA agent Edward Lansdale began working to elevate this former colony to nationhood,” Bass continues. “The U.S. installed Ngo Dinh Diem as South Vietnam’s autocratic ruler, aided him in wiping out his enemies and engineered an election that Diem stole, with 98.2 percent of the popular vote.” (Oddly, although the influential Lansdale is shown in a photo standing right next to Diem, nothing is said about him.)

More @ source
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Strolling down a street in the city of Da Nang, Vietnam last month, I came upon a sidewalk shop selling shiny wood caskets. When I stopped to take some pictures, the elderly owner came out, smiling, and asked where I was from.

“America,” I told him, and he broke into a wide grin. Was I here during the war? he asked. I was, I said, in the Army. Then he raised his arms like he was firing a rifle. “I fought for Ho Chi Minh!” he exclaimed. I chuckled, struggling for an appropriate response. “Well,” I finally said, “I fought to stay alive.”

Nearly 50 years after the war’s end, Americans, including Vietnam veterans, are still struggling to explain how we got involved in that disastrous, and ultimately futile, war. And that goes for Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, directors of The Vietnam War, a much-heralded 10-part, 18-hour epic series that debutted Sunday night on PBS.

Burns says he began thinking about revisiting the Vietnam War decades ago, but decided the national psyche wasn’t ready for it. A previous major PBS series on the conflict in 1983, based on a book by a veteran Vietnam correspondent suggesting that the war was less than honorable, provoked a loud right-wing backlash. So he decided to wait.

Now, Burns says, it’s time to talk—and get over it. “With knowledge comes healing,” he told Vanity Fair. “The seeds of disunion we experience today, the polarization, the lack of civil discourse all had their seeds in Vietnam,” Burns told The New York Times. “I can’t imagine a better way to help pull out some of the fuel rods that create this radioactive atmosphere than to talk about Vietnam in a calm way.”

Good luck with that, as we said in ‘Nam. While the TV critics have been agog with praise and wonder over the series’s cinematic mastery, depth of research (some 80 interviews of participants on all sides) historical sweep and emotional punch, some veterans and longtime students of the war are already taking critical aim at the series’s fuzzy treatment of the war’s central question: Why did we get involved in the first place? Who thought that was a good idea?

Burns strives to give everyone’s strongly held, divergent views equal weight, but before long, he’s waist deep in a historical big muddy, wandering among competing theories that obscure the root cause of a war that killed an estimated minimum of 429,000 U.S. and allied soldiers and 533,000 communist troops and civilians between 1954 and 1975. Many estimates soar far above those. Millions more were wounded.

“Many veterans fear that this new documentary will misrepresent what really happened and why, substituting [the] ‘many truths’ which Burns says he will present,” Chuck Searcy, an Army Intelligence veteran of the war, said in an email to friends this week from Vietnam, where he has spent the past several years helping to rid the countryside of buried U.S. munitions that are still killing people. “It may permit us Americans, once again, to evade the harsh reckoning that is long overdue, and allow us to remain in denial about what we did in Viet Nam, and why.”

At an early screening of the film’s highlights in Washington, D.C.this spring, Burns said that, “for us, the war begins in 1945,” not 1965, when President Lyndon Johnson dispatched the first U.S. ground combat unit to South Vietnam. Good start. But in episode one, he stakes the proper context for the starting point in France’s mid-19th century conquest and colonization of territories that would eventually become Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. For the next 80 years France plundered the region for its rubber, tin and other resources, impoverishing its workers while creating a servile class of French-speaking native bureaucrats to carry out its orders, all largely financed by the opium trade. By the early 20th century, Vietnamese patriots began organizing a resistance. One of them was Ho Chi Minh.

Directors Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's ten-part, 18-hour documentary "The Vietnam War" premieres on PBS on September 17 at 8/7. Maarten de Boer/Getty

As Burns and Novick movingly show, Ho had hopes that America would come to his aid at the end of World War II, during which French hegemony over Vietnam was interrupted by Japan’s five-year occupation of the country. President Franklin D. Roosevelt had signalled during the war that the era of colonialism was over, and, as the Burns-Novick series shows, Ho and his band of rebels had enthusiastically helped America’s wartime secret service, the OSS, fight the Japanese. But with Roosevelt dead at war’s end, his successor Harry Truman let the French back in, and the revolution was on, in earnest. The French colonial army fought on—financed largely by the U.S.—for nine bloody years. But in 1954, after a disastrous defeat to Ho’s Soviet- and Chinese-backed guerrillas at a place called Dien Bien Phu in northern Vietnam, the French surrendered.

The Viet Minh might well have swept to victory throughout the country, but at a 1954 peace conference in Geneva, it accepted the “temporary” partition of Vietnam into a communist-led North and U.S.-backed South, pending elections in 1956. Two years later, the dictatorial regime installed by Washington in Saigon, honeycombed with French-trained bureaucrats and landowners, cancelled the elections knowing that Ho Chi Minh would win. And now the American war was on.

Burns and Novick know all of this—indeed, they explicate the turn of events with admirable force and verve (aided by the stellar and precise writing of historian Geoffrey Ward). But then they quickly abandon the groundwork they’ve laid putting the Vietnamese struggle in an anti-colonial context. “By Episode Two...the war has been framed as a civil war, with the United States defending a freely elected democratic government in the south against Communists invading from the north,”
    notes Vietnam scholar Thomas Bass in a slashing essay that has been circulating for weeks as a kind of anti-establishment samizdat beneath the tide of gushing advance praise for the series. “American boys are fighting a godless enemy that Burns shows as a red tide creeping across maps of Southeast Asia and the rest of the world.” If Burns meant to make sardonic use of the Cold War-era graphic, the gesture was lost on Bass, author of a highly praised book on one of North Vietnam’s top spies in the south.

“The historical footage in episode one…which disputes this view of the war, is either ignored or misunderstood,” Bass wrote last month in the tiny Mekong Review, an independent literary quarterly founded in 2015. The fact is, “defeated French forces regrouped in southern Vietnam after 1954, which is when U.S. Air Force colonel and CIA agent Edward Lansdale began working to elevate this former colony to nationhood,” Bass continues. “The U.S. installed Ngo Dinh Diem as South Vietnam’s autocratic ruler, aided him in wiping out his enemies and engineered an election that Diem stole, with 98.2 percent of the popular vote.” (Oddly, although the influential Lansdale is shown in a photo standing right next to Diem, nothing is said about him.)

More @ source
    Been there, the beaches especially China Beach are just incredible.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yea, I hear it is beautiful & muggy............

Are you watching it?? Thoughts on the history of it??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yea, I hear it is beautiful & muggy............

Are you watching it?? Thoughts on the history of it??
    Not if you go in the cool season, between November to March. Can't get PBS so not able to see it!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What kinda country doesn't have PBS?? wtf?? Lots of what they have, the good nature programmes are BBC produced.........

It will prob be on youtube or other sources soon if not on there already..

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What kinda country doesn't have PBS?? wtf?? Lots of what they have, the good nature programmes are BBC produced.........

It will prob be on youtube or other sources soon if not on there already..
    You can get it on cable and satellite but I don't have either. Is it on Netflix? I have a box set of Ken Burns: The War, that was excellent!

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corazón View Post
    You can get it on cable and satellite but I don't have either. Is it on Netflix? I have a box set of Ken Burns: The War, that was excellent!
    I think some of his "movies" are good but personally can't stand him.

The history of the war in SEasia is still a very touchy subject here & I am a bit curious how it will be taken..

It most certainly was the direct result of colonialism rather than the picture painted of a civil war..

THere are a few here that are "experts" on history & I'm wondering what their take is??

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

More @ source
    he is a lefty so no

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,616 Times in 9,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

Default PBS Vietnam war documentary could trigger PTSD for Vets

A new PBS documentary on the Vietnam War offers a powerful, in-depth look at one of the most trying periods in U.S. history, and some at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are concerned it could stir up deeply painful emotions for veterans of the conflict.

The VA has partnered with PBS to offer counseling to vets with PTSD who might find watching the documentary too difficult.

"It could bring up some memories [veterans] don't want to deal with. It could bring up some memories they may need to deal with," Henry Peterson, a chaplain at the VA in San Diego who counsels vets with PTSD, told NCPR.

New Hampshire Representative Steve Shurtleff, who served in Vietnam, is encouraging vets to take advantage of the counseling services offered by the VA.

"Those of us who served in Vietnam, I think, tend to be closed-mouth and don't really want to talk a lot about it," Shurtleff told NHPR. "I think it's healthy that we do and talk to people that understand and can possibly give us some advice to deal with the emotions we're still feeling."

More than 200,000 Vietnam vets continue to have full war-zone-related PTSD decades after the war, according to a 2015 study spearheaded by Dr. Charles R. Marmar of the New York University Langone Medical Center.

War movies, in particular, have been known to trigger PTSD symptoms for vets, according to Tina Mayes, a VA staff psychologist.

"I would say the majority of veterans that I work with, when their symptoms are high, they're actively avoiding any media," Mayes told NCPR.

When Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan was released in 1998, the VA set up a hotline for vets who found themselves reliving the horrors of World War II due to the film's graphic imagery. Hundreds of veterans ended up calling in.

Some veterans say they won't watch the documentary—produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick—largely because they don't want to revisit the negativity and anti-war sentiments they were met with upon returning from Vietnam, according to Dr. Tom Bellino, who was a Navy psychologist during the war.

"There is no doubt that all war is hell, but without the support of the people who send you into that war...it is an even greater hell," Bellino recently wrote. He hopes the new documentary helps Vietnam vets "put away some of the demons that often come at night."

By John Haltiwanger

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

christiefan915 (09-20-2017), Phantasmal (09-21-2017)

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

I won't watch it only because I've already watched a documentary series on it plus I've read extensively including a biography of Ho Chi Minh.
    Ho was the leader who just happened to have communist indoctrination. He actually asked for Washington's assistance in freeing Vietnam from French rule (who basically treated the Vietnamese like slaves).
    Lyndon Johnson should have been shot for the Gulf of Tonkin non incident and starting that war. Good that he drank and smoked himself to death.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (09-21-2017)

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    I won't watch it only because I've already watched a documentary series on it plus I've read extensively including a biography of Ho Chi Minh.
    Ho was the leader who just happened to have communist indoctrination. He actually asked for Washington's assistance in freeing Vietnam from French rule (who basically treated the Vietnamese like slaves).
    Lyndon Johnson should have been shot for the Gulf of Tonkin non incident and starting that war. Good that he drank and smoked himself to death.
    Do you think FDR would have opposed the French going back in there??

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Do you think FDR would have opposed the French going back in there??
    Seriously doubt it. There was a lot of colonization going on back then by European countries.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

President Franklin D. Roosevelt had signalled during the war that the era of colonialism was over????

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The history of the war in SEasia is still a very touchy subject here & I am a bit curious how it will be taken..

It most certainly was the direct result of colonialism rather than the picture painted of a civil war..

THere are a few here that are "experts" on history & I'm wondering what their take is??
    My daughter in law's family can give you chapter and verse on what the Viet Minh did after the fall of Saigon.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

i thought the show made that clear..i've seen a couple episodes now..It's Burns at his best
    as as usual -the research and film is incredible..great depth

I look at the patriotism of those who went - for me it was always a "bad war" but for others it was defending from Communism,etc.
    And of course many were draftees