Thread: the facts of 'what is political correctness'

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Default the facts of 'what is political correctness'

What is meant by themodern term referred to as "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"...The definition is found in 4 telegramsat the Truman Library and Museum in Independence , Missouri .
    The following are copies of fourtelegrams between President Harry Truman and General Douglas MacArthur on theday before the actual signing of the WWII Surrender Agreement in September1945.
    The contents of those four telegrams beloware exactly as received at the end of the war - not a word has been added ordeleted!
    (1) Tokyo , Japan 0800-September 1,1945
    To: President Harry STruman
    Tomorrow we meet with thoseyellow-bellied bastards and sign the Surrender Documents, any last minuteinstructions?
    ================================================== ===========
    (2) Washington , D C 1300-September1, 1945
    To: D A MacArthur
    From: H S Truman Congratulations, job welldone, but you must tone down your obvious dislike of the Japanese whendiscussing the terms of the surrender with the press, because some of yourremarks are fundamentally not politically correct!
    (3) Tokyo , Japan 1630-September 1, 1945
    To: H S Truman
    Wilco Sir, but both Chester and I aresomewhat confused, exactly what does the term politically correct mean?
    (4) Washington , D C 2120-September 1,1945
    To: D A MacArthur/C H Nimitz
    Political Correctness is adoctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted bya sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirelypossible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

iewitness (09-13-2017), The Sage of Main Street (09-13-2017)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Not even one comment.....I'm surprised....

does anyone agree with Truman's definition of 'political correctness' ?

I certainly do......
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,184 Times in 25,719 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

I'll go for it.

"Although World War II has been one of the most influential and well-studied events of modern history, evidence of this purported telegraph exchange between Truman and MacArthur was virtually non-existent on the Internet prior to 2015. The description of political correctness attributed to Truman therein weren’t spread in earnest until April 2015, although iterations of this item had been circulated a few weeks earlier.

By Internet standards, this quip about political correctness is nearly ancient. Versions of it dating to 2006 and 2007 are easily located, attributed at least twice to students of Texas A&M University. It surfaced again in a 2012 Townhall column that lauded it while also describing it as an “old Internet joke”. Although the joke’s origins may be murky, the anachronisms involved in attributing it to President Truman are obvious.

In one portion of the telegram exchange, Truman supposedly referenced the “mainstream media,” a marked neologism. During Truman’s political career (and for many decades thereafter), the news media consisted largely of radio and local newspapers; alternative news sources were not prominent enough in the 1940’s for the predominant news sources to be tabbed as a politically polarizing entity with the pejorative “mainstream media.”

Also telling is the use of the term “political correctness” in the purported exchange. It’s true that the phrase “politically correct” was first employed as far back as 1793, but not in any way resembling the modern application of the term. The current usage was popularized on a large scale in the 1980s and 1990s, decades after Truman’s supposed condemnation of the concept, as described in the 2009 book Political Correctness: A History of Semantics and Culture by Geoffrey Hughes..."

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/trumanpc.asp

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Cypress (09-13-2017)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

What is PC? Fascism disguised as manners.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 55 Times in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    Not even one comment.....I'm surprised....

does anyone agree with Truman's definition of 'political correctness' ?

I certainly do......
    Unstructured Grammar Leads to Unstructured Thought

It's more important to realize that even back then, our self-appointed ruling class was too lazy to learn grammar. Media, like data, is plural.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

We won't live free until the Democrats, and their voters, live in fear.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    What is meant by themodern term referred to as "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"...The definition is found in 4 telegramsat the Truman Library and Museum in Independence , Missouri .
    The following are copies of fourtelegrams between President Harry Truman and General Douglas MacArthur on theday before the actual signing of the WWII Surrender Agreement in September1945.
    The contents of those four telegrams beloware exactly as received at the end of the war - not a word has been added ordeleted!
    (1) Tokyo , Japan 0800-September 1,1945
    To: President Harry STruman
    Tomorrow we meet with thoseyellow-bellied bastards and sign the Surrender Documents, any last minuteinstructions?
    ================================================== ===========
    (2) Washington , D C 1300-September1, 1945
    To: D A MacArthur
    From: H S Truman Congratulations, job welldone, but you must tone down your obvious dislike of the Japanese whendiscussing the terms of the surrender with the press, because some of yourremarks are fundamentally not politically correct!
    (3) Tokyo , Japan 1630-September 1, 1945
    To: H S Truman
    Wilco Sir, but both Chester and I aresomewhat confused, exactly what does the term politically correct mean?
    (4) Washington , D C 2120-September 1,1945
    To: D A MacArthur/C H Nimitz
    Political Correctness is adoctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted bya sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirelypossible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
    Posting fake news, eh? Do you make it a habit to post fake news, bogus stories, and debunked myths?
    You know what?? I will never, ever trust anything you post ever again. You are obviously a person who can't be trusted, does not check the facts, or at worst perhaps even knowingly posts fake news in a pathetic attempt to deceive,

Claim: President Harry S. Truman in 1945 described political correctness as “a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority.”

Snopes rates this claim FALSE

Snopes

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/trumanpc.asp

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

The Sage of Main Street (09-14-2017)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Posting fake news, eh? Do you make it a habit to post fake news, bogus stories, and debunked myths?
    You know what?? I will never, ever trust anything you post ever again. You are obviously a person who can't be trusted, does not check the facts, or at worst perhaps even knowingly posts fake news in a pathetic attempt to deceive,
    Caught posting fake news again...
    Poor Blabo...
    USFREEDOM911 Expresses one of his homosexual prison rape fantasies;
    Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    he may be getting several boners, they just won't be his.
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

I would kill someone who didn't pay me, after I give them a blowjob.
    Does that make me insane?

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 55 Times in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Fad Grammar

Media itself didn't come into common use until much later. Jurinalists started to use it to make themselves look educated, but they proved their education was defective because they smugly refused to look it up and find out that it was the plural of medium. The same thing happened when they decided that data sounded more sophisticated than statistics or stats. Since even those with high GPAs are stupid, the presstitutes have a desperate need to present the illusion of intellectual superiority.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

We won't live free until the Democrats, and their voters, live in fear.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's your source of PC. It's in full effect in today's Democrat/left party...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/redgree...dern-cult/amp/

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barack O'bama View Post
    Here's your source of PC. It's in full effect in today's Democrat/left party...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/redgree...dern-cult/amp/
    It's all the fault of that damned Frankfort school.

USFREEDOM911 Expresses one of his homosexual prison rape fantasies;
    he may be getting several boners, they just won't be his.
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

I would kill someone who didn't pay me, after I give them a blowjob.
    Does that make me insane?