1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Thousands Gather at American for Glimpse of Obama

Thousands Gather at American for Glimpse of Obama

Thousands of Washington area residents descended on American University today for a glimpse of Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama, who appeared at a campus rally to receive the endorsement of fellow U.S. senator and senior Democratic Party statesman Edward M. Kennedy (Mass.).

After the speech at a packed Bender Arena, people filed out talking excitedly, taking pictures with their Obama campaign signs and showing off photos they had taken of the candidate on their cell phones.

"It was awesome," said Jordan Watts, 22, a junior from Howard University who attended with friends from American University. "I came out to see the legend himself. There's just something so inspiring hearing his words."

City dwellers and suburbanites -- from businessmen to young mothers to retirees -- mixed with crowds of college students, some of whom started gathering outside Bender as early as 5:30 a.m.

About 30 minutes before Obama was scheduled to speak, university officials began announcing over a bullhorn that the arena was full and there would be no room for overflow. While dozens of folks turned around and headed back to their cars, there were hundreds of supporters who didn't budge.

"Maybe he'll walk out past us and we can see him," said Jeanne Fitzpatrick, 57, as she shivered in the frigid morning air.

Then police erected a security checkpoint and filtered about 500 people into an amphitheater next to the arena. They shivered on cold, stone steps for nearly an hour for Obama and Kennedy, who came outside and held a second, special rally just for them.

Kennedy sympathized with the crowd outside, explaining that as the youngest child of his clan, he was always on the outside as well.

"When we have Barack Obama as president, everyone will be on the inside," he said.

Obama thanked the crowd for being there for "one of the most memorable days of my life."

University officials said that about 3,500 people were inside the arena, which normally holds 5,000, but not all the bleachers had been set up for the rally.

Among those who made it inside the arena was Noel K. Tshiani of Potomac. He arrived on campus at 8:30 a.m. and shivered in his pinstriped suit for 90 minutes, because he'd left his coat when he parked his car.

Tshiani, who owns his own investment company, said he wasn't worried about the hours away from the office. "You can work any day. This doesn't happen every day," he said. He had come to the campus with his 26-year-old son, but they had lost track of each other in the crowd.

The mood at the rally was excited and celebratory, as the Obama faithful waved red and blue signs calling for "change." They buzzed about yesterday's endorsement of Obama from the normally reclusive Caroline Kennedy, and the anointing by her uncle. Both Kennedys appeared with Obama, along with the elder Kennedy's son, Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy of Rhode Island.

The stamp of approval from much of the Democratic Party's most legendary political family was significant even to the many young people in the crowd, including Rachel Haas, Wynne Anderson and Casey Thevenot, 17-year-old students at Bethesda's Walt Whitman High School who walked out of class at 9 a.m. to come to the rally.

"He told Hillary to stop dissing Obama so much, and he stood up for what he believes," Thevenot said of Sen. Kennedy.

Anderson said she had been supporting Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign until she listened to an Obama speech in a debate class at Whitman and felt blown away. "It opened my eyes," Anderson said, explaining that she liked Obama's inspirational speaking style, as well as his positions on issues such as gay marriage and the war in Iraq. "We believe that he can change America."

All three girls said they plan to vote in Maryland's primary next month, under a law allowing minors to cast ballots if they will turn 18 by Election Day in November.

Also today, wire services reported that author Toni Morrison, who years ago famously labeled Bill Clinton the "first black president," was endorsing Obama. Morrison said she has admired Hillary Clinton for years because of her knowledge and mastery of politics, but she cited Obama's "creative imagination which coupled with brilliance equals wisdom."

At American University, many of those in the crowd said they'd been on an e-mail list of Obama supporters and received word electronically about the rally, which was added at the last minute to a schedule that already included a campaign stop in Virginia.

Mohamed Noor, a 21-year-old graduate student from Fairfax County, came to campus hours before the rally with his younger sister and several of their friends. "We wanted to feel like we were part of history," he said.

"The line just exploded" after the group arrived around 8:30, he added. "We're lucky to be in here."

Asha Noor, age 17, said she will be among those almost-18-year-olds voting in Virginia's Feb. 12 primary, and her vote will be cast for the senator from Illinois. "I'm not going to be part of the apathetic youth," Noor said.

The first wave of college students who entered the arena was mostly white, reflecting American University's majority-white enrollment. But as the bleachers and the floor space filled the faces grew more diverse, and included many African Americans and other people of color. A small group of young men in blue jeans, white shirts and red-and-blue ties sang doo-wop. People in the crowd compared Obama stickers and T-shirts, chanted and warmed up by the doing the wave.

Maderia Y. Parker, a retired Prince George's County teacher, said she drove in from Silver Spring with two friends to see the candidate she believes "will do the right thing and make the changes necessary to lead us through the 21st century."

Parker, who declined to give her age, said her 75 minutes of waiting in line was difficult. "My back got cold and my knees started aching. I wish they had a place for the seniors," she said. "But I'm just hoping I get to shake his hand."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2008012801949

Morning in America.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

cult like. he offers nothing that Hilary doesn't.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grind View Post
    cult like. he offers nothing that Hilary doesn't.
    He offers less ... WAR.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

that's not why people are enamored with him..

---

Grind is basically right

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Its why I'll probably end up voting for him if he gets the nod.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It most certainly isn't because "he offers nothing that Hillary doesn't."

Most are enamored by his intelligence and political skills.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

i know beefy, it's the cool thing to do right now.

---

Grind is basically right

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

NO .. it's the intelligent thing to do .. for a lot of reasons.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

There's not a Republican frontrunner I could vote for. And I'm pretty well a 1 issue guy in this election - The War.

That's why you little shit.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

YOu are such a right wing prick sometimes Grind. Reagan was part of the "cult of personality" as well. What Reagan did first and best was make people feel good about themselves and their country again. Reagan was not all that great a details guy. He had lots of details people around him. He said, "this is where I want to go" and people got him there. He was good at listening and makeing the ultimate decisions but to pretend that Reagan really offered any thing more than George H W Bush is to delude yourself. Bush was the far better Politician but not so good at communicating. Obama is the same and you may be right, he may offer nothing more than Hillary politically, but people like to hear him speak, they like to hear him talk positively about things and they like how open he is with people. You just don't like him cause in a two way race with any of the repubs it begins to look alot like Kennedy vs. Nixon 1960 and the cult of personality went a long way in that one. That is part of modern politics. Get used to it or watch more sitcoms.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why are you talking about reagan soc?

"You just don't like him cause in a two way race with any of the repubs it begins to look alot like Kennedy vs. Nixon"

Um I'm probably not going to even be voting in this election so why would I care?

I don't like him because I think he is overhyped, he talks about "change" and everyone falls for it hook line and sinker.

---

Grind is basically right

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

My life for you Obama!
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34