Thread: Duke University Is Removing The Robert E. Lee Statue From Its Chapel

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corazón View Post
    You should know that already but I am hardly surprised that PC obsessed Americans are not very well informed. Lincoln was responsible for the death of nearly 1.5 million people, you should be tearing down his statues.

By the way, I am not Welsh you daft old bat! Iolo is the one that likes our woolly brethren. I am partial to a nice bit of lamb though preferably with mint sauce and new potatoes.
    How many deaths s the bristh empire responsible for?? Maybe it's time to tear it down??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Reply to post 1

I've always thought the modern southern fetish for statues of prominent confederates was more about "sticking it to the darkies" in an oblique way, than it was about a genuine appreciation of history.

But, if the south was genuinely interested in commemorating southern history, then why aren't there prominent and widespread statues and museums dedicated to memorializing the millions of victims of slavery, to remind us of the pure evil of the southern institution of slavery??

I mean even the Germans accept memorials to holocaust victims on their soil.
    Excellent point.
    USFREEDOM911 Expresses one of his homosexual prison rape fantasies;
    Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    he may be getting several boners, they just won't be his.
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

I would kill someone who didn't pay me, after I give them a blowjob.
    Does that make me insane?

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    Ever hear of Boston? What do you call it, New England racism? lol
    I grew up in Boston and I encountered some of the worst racism anywhere in the country.
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    How many deaths s the bristh empire responsible for?? Maybe it's time to tear it down??
    Slimy Limeys...

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Has zero to do with my previous post. I'll spell it out to you... racism isn't limited to the south.
    Flashback: 50 years ago: MLK's march in Marquette Park turned violent, exposed hate

Martin Luther King Jr., center lower right, and supporters pause during a fair housing march through Marquette Park in 1966. King later said he had never seen “mobs as hostile and as hate-filled as I’ve seen here in Chicago.” (Chicago Tribune historical photo)

Ron GrossmanContact Reporter

When Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. stepped out of a car in Marquette Park on Aug. 5, 1966, he was met by a crowd in an ugly mood. That was nothing new for King. During his civil rights crusade, he'd often faced Southern mobs. The year before, police and sheriff's deputies brutally attacked a march he'd organized in Selma, Ala. But he saw something even more menacing in the faces of the 700 white protesters who confronted him on Chicago's Southwest Side, on that August day 50 years ago.

"I've been in many demonstrations all across the South, but I can say that I have never seen — even in Mississippi and Alabama — mobs as hostile and as hate-filled as I've seen here in Chicago," King told reporters afterward.

King and hundreds of demonstrators had scarcely set out on a march to promote open housing when he was struck by a rock. "The blow knocked King to one knee and he thrust out an arm to break the fall," the Tribune reported. "He remained in this kneeling position, head bent, for a few seconds until his head cleared." Aides and bodyguards closed in around King, holding placards aloft to shield him from the missiles that followed.

King and the demonstrators had hoped to reach a real estate office on nearby 63rd Street, intending to demand that properties be rented and sold on a nondiscriminatory basis in the all-white Chicago Lawn neighborhood. Only a few of them made it before a riot broke out. At least 30 people were injured, some by a hail of bricks and bottles accompanied by racial epithets. Some counterdemonstrators were clubbed by baton-wielding police officers. More than 40 people were arrested when a crowd of whites blocked adjoining streets and cursed the police, several of whom were hurt.

Aides shield the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. after he was struck by a rock in Marquette Park during an Aug. 5, 1966, march in Chicago. King moved to the West Side in early 1966 to fight racial inequality in housing.
    (Chicago Tribune historical photo)

To some, the incident might have seemed a setback for King, the prophet of nonviolence. King saw it as all in a day's work.
    "I have to do this — to expose myself — to bring this hate into the open," he said upon recovering from his injury.

King had come to Chicago to open a new front in the battle for racial justice. He had enlisted in that struggle during a 1955 boycott in Montgomery, Ala., of the public transportation system by blacks no longer willing to move to the back of the bus. King's powerful oratory made him the head of the emerging civil rights movement, and in the years that followed he campaigned against legally mandated segregation and for access to the ballot box denied to Southern blacks. By 1966, victory was in sight, if but dimly on the horizon. When Congress passed the 1964 Civil Rights Act, President Lyndon Johnson marked the historic occasion by handing King a pen with which he'd signed the legislation.

Yet to that point, the civil rights movement had scarcely been felt in the ghettos of Northern cities. Blacks had flocked to cities like Chicago hoping to escape Southern segregation, only to find that Jim Crow had followed them. By custom — sometimes enforced by violence — African-Americans were confined to inner city neighborhoods with rundown housing and overcrowded schools.
    To publicize their plight, King moved into a shabby third-floor apartment on Chicago's West Side on Jan. 26, 1966. "We don't have wall-to-wall carpeting to worry about," he said of his new neighbors' living conditions. "But we have wall-to-wall rats and roaches."

The North Lawndale neighborhood, where King would maintain a symbolic presence for much of the year, had once been home to Jews, Czechs and Poles. But when blacks joined them, the older inhabitants left. Much the same occurred across the city, as the line separating black and white Chicago wasn't erased. It just moved a few blocks at a time. In its wake, it left blacks frustrated for having failed to escape segregation.

Among them was Percy Wilson, a construction worker who lived with his wife and children in a slum apartment in Lawndale. "I feel I live in a hog pen," Wilson told the Tribune in July 1966. "Sometimes I think I was better off in Mississippi."

King diagnosed the malady in a speech at Chicago's International Amphitheater on March 12. According to the Tribune's report, he urged blacks "to come forth out of your slum shock." And as action is a remedy for passive acceptance, he and his associates organized marches into all-white neighborhoods, producing headlines such as: "Crowds jeer at marchers on N.W. Side" and "King appears at 63D-Halsted boycott rally."
    That intersection marked a shopping area that once was second only to the Loop. But when the city proposed replacing 297 buildings with a modern shopping center, black residents saw its purpose as creating "a no-Negro buffer zone."

Taking up their cause put King on a collision course with Mayor Richard J. Daley, who was leery of King. The destination of one open-housing march was Daley's home in the Bridgeport neighborhood. He was outraged at King's condemnation of the public schools. In some overcrowded schools, black children were taught in portable classrooms rather than allowing them to transfer to schools in white neighborhoods.
    "It's criminal to have our children have the kind of education they are getting," King said. "There may be another Plato or Einstein in a Chicago school."

King also had black critics, including Dr. J. H. Jackson, a Chicago clergyman and president of the National Baptist Convention, a major black denomination. When three nights of rioting broke out on the West Side in July, Jackson joined Daley in blaming King for preaching civil disobedience. Neither noted that King repeatedly disavowed the Black Power Movement's embrace of violence.

On Oct. 6, Jackson pronounced King's Chicago demonstrations a failure. "Not one definite thing was accomplished," he said. In fact, Chicago was as segregated as when he had arrived. Yet perhaps it was during his stay here that a seed was sown that would ripen into a movement that eventually elected Chicago's first black mayor in 1983 and blossomed into the election of another black man from Chicago as president of the United States in 2008.

Accordingly, the 50th anniversary of King's march will be celebrated with various events in Marquette Park. Yet in a real sense, it's marked there daily in nearby streets where blacks and Latinos live in well-kept homes on blocks that King's opponents thought were destined to be slums if minorities moved there. On summer evenings, black, brown and white people shoot baskets in Marquette Park, and every layup and 3-pointer redeems a promise King made at a rally on the eve of his 1966 march.
    "We are bound for the promised land," King told the crowd. "We will taste the honey of equality."

The Martin Luther King Jr. Living Memorial Project is planning events at Marquette Park to commemorate the 1966 march. More information is available at www.mlkmemorialchicago.org.
    rgrossman@chicagotribune.com

"There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

What many that want to fight the fight are to ignorant to understand.....
    This will never be solved and the only thing it is doing is created a great deal of resentment towards each other. Calling people racists, when they are not, just to get a rise out of them.

More than 75% of the people that were born and raised in the south and learn from there ancestors, and believe whole heartedly it was all about constitutional overreach and that is why they rebelled. Called the rebels. They were not called Racists, they were called Rebels. Not until the Civil Rights push, with Republican Political Party leading the way, to abolish the Democrats evil Jim Crow crap, did the Democrats give a crap about any minorities. Their talking points, to a racist America were not working as the republican message of liberty for all, equally, was hard to beat.
    LBJ, the guy that killed JFK, was the biggest racist there was at the time in TEXAS.
    I'll keep them ******'s voting Democrat for 200 hundred years and put them back on the Plantation for life. The entitlement class was born with "The Great Society"

The Civil War was never pushed it was about Slavery, until the Great Society talking points.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buckly J. Ewer View Post
    I grew up in Boston and I encountered some of the worst racism anywhere in the country.
    That's what I hear.

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

WTF is a Philosipher???

You don't think the folks here know the history & what kinda lies some folks, some families tell themselves?? STATES RIGHTS?? = RIGHT TO HAVE HUMAN CHATTEL............

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts

WTF is a Philosipher???

You don't think the folks here know the history & what kinda lies some folks, some families tell themselves?? STATES RIGHTS?? = RIGHT TO HAVE HUMAN CHATTEL............
    Speaking of States authority, over federal authority, that you referred to as states rights.
    A 10th Amendment issue in the 1850's, that the federal government was punishing selected states for having the authority to do so, under Constitutional rule. Huge cotton and agricultural tariffs(sanctions). Led to the Civil war.
    What they could not accomplish by amendment, they damn well were going to get it done, buy the heavy hand of the tax man, selectively.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BentBow For This Post:

dukkha (08-20-2017)

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

maybe its time to take history for what it was ,and not moralize over it from today

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

You're an odd cove, only the other day you were agreeing that the US would be more civilised if there wasn't a revolution!!

I also have news for you the British Empire no longer exists, the Commonwealth is composed of 52 nations, and 2.4 billion people, that are there entirely voluntarily. The Queen is also the head of state for 16 countries worldwide. Again they are free at any time to become republics if they so choose.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 08-20-2017 at 02:01 AM.

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Has zero to do with my previous post. I'll spell it out to you... racism isn't limited to the south.
    True but there are no statues of Lee in North churches. Only in the retarded South could this even happen

14. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corazón View Post
    You're an odd cove, only the other day you were agreeing that the US would be more civilised if there wasn't a revolution!!

I also have news for you the British Empire no longer exists, the Commonwealth is composed of 52 nations, and 2.4 billion people, that are there entirely voluntarily. The Queen is also the head of state for 16 countries worldwide. Again they are free at any time to become republics if they so choose.
    In deed I did, that says something about this country doesn't it??

15. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's what I hear.
    It's true.

16. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,685 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
    <snip>

The Civil War was never pushed it was about Slavery, until the Great Society talking points.
    Mississippi's Declaration of the Reasons for Secession , 1861

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_missec.asp