Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Thread: Museum of the Bible

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,680 Times in 27,325 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default Museum of the Bible

How did I not know about this thing? I am only about 20 km away from it now; I need to put this on my bucket list along with the Creation Science Museum, Noah's Ark Experience, and Jesus Land theme park.

Sidebar: I literally did not know smuggling is a Christian value

Museum of the Bible

The Museum of the Bible is a museum in Washington D.C. which documents the narrative, history, and impact of the Bible.

The museum claims it is nonsectarian and "is not political, and it will not proselytize." However, members of the board of directors are required to sign a "faith statement" regarding the truth of the Bible.

The patron of the museum, the good christian fundamentalists of Hobby Lobby, Inc. apparently were caught and fined for trying to smuggle Iraqi artifacts for this museum. I am surprised actually that Jesus would have approved of smuggling.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_the_Bible

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-23-2021), ThatOwlWoman (08-23-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default I’m on the job. We’re in the union.

We’re going to get you a job as a door man.Walking around like your homeless. Bull wrinkle and the gang.

shipping-container-types-1000x640.jpg

The machine broke down. It’s a screwdriver and the martillo. That’s my mother.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,396 Times in 53,275 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    How did I not know about this thing? I am only about 20 km away from it now; I need to put this on my bucket list along with the Creation Science Museum, Noah's Ark Experience, and Jesus Land theme park.

Are there any other religions whose adherents need these kinds of reinforcement? The Greens bought millions of dollars worth of artifacts that they got caught red-handed with. Why there was no prison time is beyond me. At least they were returned to their country of origin.

"But looters know. The roughly 250 tablets Frahm examined in 2016 were among 5,500 objects, including ancient cylinder seals and clay seal impressions known as bullae, smuggled into the U.S. starting in 2010. Shipped from the United Arab Emirates and Israel without declaring their true Iraqi origin, some of them were marked "ceramic tiles" or "clay tiles (sample)."

"They'd been purchased by Hobby Lobby for $1.6 million.

"In a settlement last year with the Justice Department, Hobby Lobby agreed to forfeit the objects and paid a $3 million fine. In May, about 3,800 objects were handed back to the Iraqi government at a ceremony at its Washington, D.C., embassy, and will be returned to Iraq later this year."

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/28/62353...nt-city-in-ira
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (08-23-2021)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Are there any other religions whose adherents need these kinds of reinforcement? The Greens bought millions of dollars worth of artifacts that they got caught red-handed with. Why there was no prison time is beyond me. At least they were returned to their country of origin.

"But looters know. The roughly 250 tablets Frahm examined in 2016 were among 5,500 objects, including ancient cylinder seals and clay seal impressions known as bullae, smuggled into the U.S. starting in 2010. Shipped from the United Arab Emirates and Israel without declaring their true Iraqi origin, some of them were marked "ceramic tiles" or "clay tiles (sample)."

"They'd been purchased by Hobby Lobby for $1.6 million.

"In a settlement last year with the Justice Department, Hobby Lobby agreed to forfeit the objects and paid a $3 million fine. In May, about 3,800 objects were handed back to the Iraqi government at a ceremony at its Washington, D.C., embassy, and will be returned to Iraq later this year."

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/28/62353...nt-city-in-ira
    The Christians at Hobby Lobby were evidently mediocre smugglers. I thought international smuggling would result in prison time, given how many people are doing hard time for buying an ounce of crack.

I actually think a museum of the Bible, the Vedas, the Tanakh, the Buddhist canon is a really good idea, because they are landmark cultural and literary artifacts -- but only if the museum is non-sectarian and subject to the standards of rigorous religious and historical scholarship.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I need to put this on my bucket list along with the Creation Science Museum, Noah's Ark Experience, and Jesus Land theme park.

The thing about American Christianity is that it appears to be chock full of amoral grifters.

To my knowledge, Muslims, Buddhists, Daoists do not exploit their scared texts and prophets in this way.

I have never heard of a Prophet Muhammed Theme Park, a Sidartha Guatauma Water Slide Park, or a Zhuangzi Roller Coaster ride.