Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is California Cracking Up?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Is California Cracking Up?

There used to be talk of California splitting up into two states Northern and Southern. Maybe it should just be divided into Coastline and Inland. It's two very very different places.

Is California Cracking Up?

With poor education, a budget deficit, and crumbling infrastructure, Californians shouldn’t be focused on idealistic social programs.

Corporate profits at California-based transnational corporations such as Apple, Facebook, and Google are hitting record highs.

California housing prices from La Jolla to Berkeley along the Pacific Coast can top $1,000 a square foot.

It seems as if all of China is willing to pay premium prices to get their children degreed at Caltech, Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, or USC.

Yet California — after raising its top income tax rate to 13.3 percent and receiving record revenues — is still facing a budget deficit of more than $1 billion. There is a much more foreboding state crisis of unfunded liabilities and pension obligations of nearly $1 trillion.

Soon, new gas tax hikes, on top of green mandates, might make California gas the most expensive in the nation, despite the state’s huge reserves of untapped oil.

Where does the money go, given that the state’s schools and infrastructure rank among America’s worst in national surveys?

Illegal immigration over the last 30 years, the exodus of millions of middle-class Californians, and huge wealth concentrated in the L.A. basin and Silicon Valley have turned the state into a medieval manor of knights and peasants, with ever fewer in between.

The strapped middle class continues to flee bad schools, high taxes, rampant crime, and poor state services. About one-third of the nation’s welfare recipients reside in California. Approximately one-fifth of the state lives below the poverty line. More than a quarter of Californians were not born in the United States.

Many of the state’s wealthiest residents support high taxes, no-growth green policies, and subsidies for the poor. They do so because they reside in apartheid neighborhoods and have the material and political wherewithal to become exempt from the consequences of their own utopian bromides.

Blue California has no two-party politics anymore. Its campuses, from Berkeley to Claremont, have proven among the most hostile to free speech in the nation.

A few things keep California going. Its natural bounty, beauty, and weather draw in people eager to play California roulette. The state is naturally rich in minerals, oil and natural gas, timber, and farmland. The world pays dearly for whatever techies based in California’s universities can dream up.

That said, the status quo is failing.

The skeletons of half-built bridges and overpasses for a $100 billion high-speed-rail dinosaur remind residents of the ongoing boondoggle. Meantime, outdated roads and highways — mostly unchanged from the 1960s — make driving for 40 million both slow and dangerous. Each mile of track for high-speed rail represents millions of dollars that were not spent on repairing and expanding stretches of the state’s decrepit freeways — and hundreds of lives needlessly lost each year.

The future of state transportation is not updated versions of 19th-century ideas of railways and locomotives, but instead will include electric-powered and automatically piloted cars — all impossible without good roads.

Less than 40 percent of California residents identify themselves as conservative. But red-county California represents some 75 percent of California’s geographical area. It’s as if large, rural Mississippi and tiny urban Massachusetts were one combined state — all ruled by liberal Boston.

Now, a third of the state thinks it can pull off a “Calexit” and leave the United States. Calexit’s unhinged proponents have no idea that they are mimicking the right-wing arguments of the Confederate states that prompted the Civil War.Like South Carolina residents in 1861, Calexit advocates seem to assume that federal law should apply everywhere else except in California. Many of these California residents also believe that the federal Environmental Protection Agency should always override local ordinances, but not so with another federal bureau, Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

South Carolina started the Civil War by shelling and capturing federal property at Fort Sumter in Charleston Bay. Calexit wannabe secessionists similarly assume that thousands of square miles of federal property — from California federal courtrooms and post offices to national parks such as Yosemite to huge military bases such as Camp Pendleton — belong to the state and could simply be confiscated from the federal government.

Calexit proponents assume California can leave the union without an authorizing amendment to the Constitution, ratified by three-fourths of all the states. And they fail to see that should California ever secede, it would immediately split in two. The coastal strip would go the way of secessionist Virginia. The other three-quarters of the state’s geography would remain loyal to the union and become a new version of loyalist West Virginia.

Buying a home on the California coast is nearly impossible. The state budget can only be balanced through constant tax hikes. Finding a good, safe public school is difficult. Building a single new dam during the California drought to capture record runoff water in subsequent wet years proved politically impossible.

No matter. Many Californians consider those existential problems to be a premodern drag, while they dream of postmodern trains, the legalization of pot-growing — and seceding from the United States of America.

http://victorhanson.com/wordpress/is...a-cracking-up/

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

THere was talk into slitting into 7 states. Not sure if that was realistic or not.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

CAlifornia is a classic example of what happens when a state goes off the rails, loses common sense and bows to political correctness in the name of votes.
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

chink (08-14-2017)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

if you divide it like this wouldnt the coastal area get all the income? and then the debt would be divided between the coastal and inland area?
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    if you divide it like this wouldnt the coastal area get all the income? and then the debt would be divided between the coastal and inland area?
    I didn't mean it literally. There is a huge economic divide between the two areas as the article states that it is effectively two different states.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    There is a huge economic divide between the two areas as the article states that it is effectively two different states.
    This situation is like two tectonic plates slowly moving against and over each other. Something has to give eventually. What do you think the earthquake will look like?

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by aloysious View Post
    This situation is like two tectonic plates slowly moving against and over each other. Something has to give eventually. What do you think the earthquake will look like?
    I don't think anything is going to change in the near term but eventually something has to give like you said. We are on path to be a state of rich and poor only and that's not sustainable. We can only continue to tax at current levels while providing poor services before even liberals get fed up.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think anything is going to change in the near term but eventually something has to give like you said. We are on path to be a state of rich and poor only and that's not sustainable. We can only continue to tax at current levels while providing poor services before even liberals get fed up.
    Sounds like more people need to be putting into the kitty.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Sounds like more people need to be putting into the kitty.
    My firm just hired three young kids who recently graduated. All three live at home with their parents. It is so hard for young people to live here because of cost. This is the environment we've created.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My firm just hired three young kids who recently graduated. All three live at home with their parents. It is so hard for young people to live here because of cost. This is the environment we've created.
    If one cannot afford to live there, you are not going to find many workers. Does CA have any plans?

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    If one cannot afford to live there, you are not going to find many workers. Does CA have any plans?
    Continue to not build enough housing is basically it. As mentioned we continue on this slow path to almost no middle class here. Right now people are ok with it.

They say as California goes so goes the country...

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Continue to not build enough housing is basically it. As mentioned we continue on this slow path to almost no middle class here. Right now people are ok with it.

They say as California goes so goes the country...
    Are you deliberately trying to get me to leave this country already??? lol! I was reading a couple weeks ago that the middle class are leaving CA. No middle class, no expanded tax base right? If they try and tax the rich more, they will leave. That leaves who to pay the bills? Not a good situation.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

That was Boston MA when I graduated college. So I planned to move to Upstate NY. My boss in Boston told me that I wasn't going to "make the big bucks like here" and offered me a small raise to stay. After three interviews I had three job offers, all more than my then-current salary. My choice of the three was also the highest offer, 25% more money. And my apartment rental was 1/3. Plus I saved on car insurance...

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Right View Post
    That was Boston MA when I graduated college. So I planned to move to Upstate NY. My boss in Boston told me that I wasn't going to "make the big bucks like here" and offered me a small raise to stay. After three interviews I had three job offers, all more than my then-current salary. My choice of the three was also the highest offer, 25% more money. And my apartment rental was 1/3. Plus I saved on car insurance...
    Rents around $3,000 and newbies are making around $40K. The math just don't add up.

And i laughed out loud at your last sentence.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

fuck no. if california breaks up into 7 states they'll go from 2 to 14 senators. nope not letting that happen

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.