Members banned from this thread: evince, christiefan915, zappasguitar, Phantasmal and WinterBorn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Pro Football Hall of Fame

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

Default Thoughts on Pro Football Hall of Fame

For me there are two qualities of a HoF player.

1) When you talk about the history of the game, if you leave them out is something missing?
    2) Did they dominate when they played regardless of how long they played?

Kenny Easley - No brainer. Should have been in sooner. Shows the bias toward offensive players and lack of longevity. Arguably one of the best Safeties ever to play the game. Bottom line is he dominated when he played

Jason Taylor - Great player, but I am not sure if he is really HoF caliber. I think he hits #2 but not #1 for me

Morten Andersen - No brainer

Terrell Davis - No brainer and should have happened sooner. He dominated the league when he played. What ifs are always hard and injuries are part of the game. But, he accomplished more in 7 years than many players accomplish in 10

Ladainian Tomlinson - No brainer

Jerry Jones - I hate the Cowboys, but this is a no brainer pick. He has done a tremendous amount for the league

Kurt Warner - I just don't see it. Yeah, he had a couple of good years, but the rest of his career was filled with mediocrity. He was a really good player, but in my view not HoF caliber. I think he was a sympathy pick due to his "story". He was 1-3 in Super Bowls.

Warner is

42nd in Passing Yards
    Tied for 35th in TDs with Kerry Collins and Jay Cutler
    37th in Passes Completed (John Kitna is better)
    10th in Passer Rating
    7th in Passing YPG

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Fuck Jerry Jones. I basically agree with everything else you wrote, even though I really like Kurt Warner as a person.
    I despise the Cowboys, but I can't deny what Jones has accomplished. I am just being objective

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Liberaland View Post
    I despise the Cowboys, but I can't deny what Jones has accomplished. I am just being objective
    I think Jerry did a lot for one franchise. Just like how the only baseball fans who could be found to support Bud Selig were Brewers fans, except, I'm not saying that Jerry has been a nuisance to the game of football - just that he's a successful owner, and nothing more.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Agreed. Jason was good, not great. Curt Warner more deserving than Kurt. But Kurt was a fan favorite and a nice guy. They could have done worse.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Agreed. Jason was good, not great. Curt Warner more deserving than Kurt. But Kurt was a fan favorite and a nice guy. They could have done worse.
    I always think about Curt whenever Kurt's name comes up. If he could have stayed healthy, and lasted at least as long as 1983 draft classmate Dickerson, perhaps he would have found his way into the Hall...

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I always think about Curt whenever Kurt's name comes up. If he could have stayed healthy, and lasted at least as long as 1983 draft classmate Dickerson, perhaps he would have found his way into the Hall...
    He was a very good back. Maybe a Senior selection some day.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Titties View Post

1) When you talk about the history of the game, if you leave them out is something missing?

Kenny Easley - No brainer. Should have been in sooner. Shows the bias toward offensive players and lack of longevity. Arguably one of the best Safeties ever to play the game. Bottom line is he dominated when he played

Jason Taylor - Great player, but I am not sure if he is really HoF caliber. I think he hits #2 but not #1 for me

Terrell Davis - No brainer and should have happened sooner. He dominated the league when he played. What ifs are always hard and injuries are part of the game. But, he accomplished more in 7 years than many players accomplish in 10

Jerry Jones - I hate the Cowboys, but this is a no brainer pick. He has done a tremendous amount for the league

Kurt Warner - I just don't see it. Yeah, he had a couple of good years, but the rest of his career was filled with mediocrity. He was a really good player, but in my view not HoF caliber. I think he was a sympathy pick due to his "story". He was 1-3 in Super Bowls.

Warner is

42nd in Passing Yards
    10th in Passer Rating
    7th in Passing YPG
    No disagreement on the names you gave.

Is there a limit on how many per year they let in? If so I can understand why some take longer. While they may have dominated when they played, if someone else dominated when they played and did it for a significantly longer period of time, the nod would go to the latter.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Agree on the Curt Kurt point
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,435 Times in 2,073 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 172 Times in 170 Posts

I longer pay any attention to pro football. Maybe the Hall of Fame should be re-named The Pall of Shame.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Titties View Post

Warner is

42nd in Passing Yards
    10th in Passer Rating
    7th in Passing YPG
    As a Bengals fan Ken Anderson is a no brainer. He’s the original “West Coast” QB. He’s also the most accurate passer I’ve ever seen. Anderson set the standard for passing efficiency and his stats in that category hold up to this day which is amazing considering he played most of his career in the NFL deadball era. There is no reasonable argument for Ken Anderson not being in the HoF as QB’s who were far inferior to him are in and every QB from his era who are even close to him statistically is in the HoF. There is no argument against his being in the HoF that holds water.

Then there is the case of Ken the Rattler Riley. Riley to this day is one of the top ten CBs in NFL history in interceptions and lord could he hit. If I was a coach and I had a choice between Ken Riley vs Deon Sanders you’d have to be an idiot of the highest order to choose Sanders. Not only was Riley as good at Sanders at coverage Riley was widely feared across the NFL for the ferocity of his tackling. He was famous for hammering receivers with a full head of steam just as the ball was arriving causing them to drop the ball. He was equally famous for taking their legs out from under them if the went up for the ball flipping them ass over elbow onto the turf and usually on their head not to mention he was fearless in charging the line of scrimmage in run support. Riley was so respected in his prime that opposing QB’s simply didn’t throw the ball in his direction. What was really appealing about Riley was he was no loud mouth show off like Deon Sanders. He was a humble yet consumate professional who let his play on the field do the talking.

Both of these former Bengals would have been in the HoF had they played for an east or west coast team but have been punished by ignorant sports writers who under rate anyone from fly over country and have thus punished. Riley and Anderson for their HoF careers simply cause they played for the Bengals.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Fuck Jerry Jones. I basically agree with everything else you wrote, even though I really like Kurt Warner as a person.
    Easley absolutely should be in the HoF. QB were known to get death threats from their WR for throwing the ball over the middle. Easley was fearless and man could he unload a hit.

Warner will be in the HoF for the same reason as Joe Namath who also didn’t have the greatest stats. He was a media darling and he won a Super Bowl.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I’m not fond Jones either but he did in the 90’s for the NFL what owners in the 60’s did at the dawn of the TV era that caused football to surpass baseball in popularity. He helped put Football in the stratosphere as the most valuable sports franchises in the world.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I’m not fond Jones either but he did in the 90’s for the NFL what owners in the 60’s did at the dawn of the TV era that caused football to surpass baseball in popularity. He helped put Football in the stratosphere as the most valuable sports franchises in the world.
    Can't we just put the Vikings owner in the HOF if it's all about giving credit to the man responsible for the 90s Cowgirls?

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Those cowgirls were around long before Jones was the owner.