Members banned from this thread: evince

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Should there be harsher penalties for illegal gun possession?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I agree, but it is a thorny question solely because the stupid right is enshrined as constitutional. It would be a better world if it was simply a privilege like driving a car. For example, should we live in a world where free speech is deprived convicted felons? Press? Peaceful assemby? It is SOLELY because of the equal footing as to other constitutional rights that gun ownership enjoys that we cannot control the propblem of gun violence. Not eliminate, but greatly control. Imagine how nice it would be. Think of all the innocent dead who would be alive now if rightards didn't have the constitutional error in their favor. Mistakes were made. None mor elarge than the 2nd.
    you do realize that it's classical liberalism that enshrined that right to arms, do you not?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree, but it is a thorny question solely because the stupid right is enshrined as constitutional. It would be a better world if it was simply a privilege like driving a car. For example, should we live in a world where free speech is deprived convicted felons? Press? Peaceful assemby? It is SOLELY because of the equal footing as to other constitutional rights that gun ownership enjoys that we cannot control the propblem of gun violence. Not eliminate, but greatly control. Imagine how nice it would be. Think of all the innocent dead who would be alive now if rightards didn't have the constitutional error in their favor. Mistakes were made. None mor elarge than the 2nd.
    I don't see it as thorny.
    Get convicted kof a violent felony, lose some rights
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Was reading this article on homicides in Baltimore and saw this tidbit on a proposed one year sentence for illegal gun possession. Was curious if those who are "pro" and "anti" guns would share the same sentiment towards it.

Mayor Pugh, a Democrat who took office in December, is pushing for a mandatory one-year sentence for illegal handgun possession within 100 yards of a school, church, park, public building or other public place of assembly—a description that would cover much of the city. The proposal has drawn criticism from some City Council members who question whether it would deter criminals.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/baltimo...ers-1500807605
    If liberals actually wanted to do something about the drugs and gun violence in THEIR inner cities of course they would advocate tougher sentencing, but instead they cry for more lenient sentencing, allow these thugs to return to the streets.

You want to end gun violence

You get 6 months to turn in your illegal weapons.

After that if you get caught with an illegal weapon, ANYWHERE, never mind near a church or school, ANYWHERE, mandatory 10 years no parole.
    You get caught in the commission of a felony with a firearm, 25 years mandatory, no parole,

you shoot someone with an illegal firearm, life no parole.
    PROBLEM SOLVED
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

in the City of Baltimore the penalties would largely affect young black males.
    I didn't know young black males in Baltimore were so much into hunting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.1 For This Post:

Althea (07-24-2017)

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Was reading this article on homicides in Baltimore and saw this tidbit on a proposed one year sentence for illegal gun possession. Was curious if those who are "pro" and "anti" guns would share the same sentiment towards it.

Mayor Pugh, a Democrat who took office in December, is pushing for a mandatory one-year sentence for illegal handgun possession within 100 yards of a school, church, park, public building or other public place of assembly—a description that would cover much of the city. The proposal has drawn criticism from some City Council members who question whether it would deter criminals.

there should be no such thing as illegal gun possession. so no.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

Peridot (07-24-2017)

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Possession alone of anything other than a nuclear, chemical or biological contraband should not be jailable unless you are dealing with multiple priors or presumed saleable quantities.

Race not an issue, cwack. More to the point, if an illegal gun possession is that it's a convicted felon who has no right to possess, you can jail the guy for violating that. If its just a man with a gun and the sale was illegal, my penalty is requiring him to register the weapon and do the background check or its confiscated, no jail. Maybe a fine for our costs.
    i think i've misjudged you.

---

Grind is basically right

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by callinectes View Post
    What are they doing now if they catch someone illegally possessing a firearm? How difficult is it to legally own and carry a firearm in Maryland? If you jump through all the hoops to own and carry a firearm legally, then owning and carrying a firearm illegally should be punishable by at least 5 years in prison without parole, black, white, brown, yellow or purple. Expedited permission should be granted to victims of domestic violence and other crimes of that nature.
    you can jump through all the hoops to be legal, but then when they say you can't be within 100 feet of a park, church, school, gazebo, arby's restaurant, you are pretty much banned from having it everywhere. which is bullshit and a violation of the 2nd amendment, in which our right to bear arms shall not be infringed. it's an underhanded way to violate our rights

---

Grind is basically right

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    what's an illegal gun?
    why is a permit required for a constitutionally protected right?
    it's like if we needed permits to criticize the government. liberals would claim it doesn't violate the first amendment because anyone can get a permit provided they follow the proper procedure.

So then we can go to our town mayor to apply for the special permit, but then they can deny us if they feel we don't have a legitimate reason for the speech permit.

that's how they do it in mass

---

Grind is basically right

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Absolutely, unequivocally and emphatically .... NO.

There is no doubt in my mind that on occasion I have been in violation of the law where I've carried. One time I went to visit a member of our congregation in the hospital and forgot about my firearm until I was 2 floors up. I turned around and went to my truck and made things right but it would be ridiculous to jail someone for that and things similar....which is what this law would potentially do.

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 698 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    I support jail sentences for illegal possession of guns, yes.

You don't?

As to your strawman, whatever
    No, I don't. Simple possession of anything should not be a crime. Who is harmed by mere possession?

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 698 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

I don't see it as thorny.
    Get convicted kof a violent felony, lose some rights
    Like voting. You want felons voting?

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand Mannlicher View Post
    No, I don't. Simple possession of anything should not be a crime. Who is harmed by mere possession?
    Wasn't that the whole plot behind the Exorcist?....

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Christ Puncher View Post
    you can jump through all the hoops to be legal, but then when they say you can't be within 100 feet of a park, church, school, gazebo, arby's restaurant, you are pretty much banned from having it everywhere. which is bullshit and a violation of the 2nd amendment, in which our right to bear arms shall not be infringed. it's an underhanded way to violate our rights
    It is not a violation of what you think are your Second Amendment rights, no right is absolute, regardless

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,737 Times in 14,332 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Given the fact that pro gun lobbyists will never allow any type of gun registry (Ironic that trump wants a national voting record database), or any type of restriction on gun sales, I have stated that any crime committed by a person who possesses an illegal gun should be punishable by life in prison.

The gun doesn't have to be used in the crime. If you have one, you go to jail for life.

Given the nonsensical claims by those who don't believe in background checks, psych tests, etc. that most gun owners do everything by the book, there should be no argument against life without parole for illegal guns.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,737 Times in 14,332 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

If they are carrying illegal guns, yes of course.
    You disagree?

FYI in Mass, possession of any type of gun witjout a permit is a mandatory year in jail and has been for 30 years.
    NY had two, but I'm not sure what it is now. That's just getting caught with a gun. If you commit a crime, it should be life. There is no other way to get any of these illegal guns off the streets. Straw sales should carry life too.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.