Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Republicans Think College Is Bad for America?!!

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,616 Times in 9,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

Default PSA for CLEP featuring Abe Lincoln

CLEP is still around, doubt if would help Trump supporters?!!

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    And many more (trades) do not.
    Kids need to work out what they want to be when they grow up. Not parents, not government.
    Sadly government made colleges need to compete and so kids get sent where it's not in them to succeed.
    Government is always the problem never the solution.
    Hey man, to each his own what they think is best for themselves. I'm speaking nothing of government. We all have our own worlds and I'm not saying anyone is better than the other. In the world I run the folks who make the most money have college degrees. Again, that doesn't make one better than another but it's an economic reality.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Hey man, to each his own what they think is best for themselves. I'm speaking nothing of government. We all have our own worlds and I'm not saying anyone is better than the other. In the world I run the folks who make the most money have college degrees. Again, that doesn't make one better than another but it's an economic reality.
    A kid I know tried college but it just didn't interest him. He's an HVAC mechanic now, making good money and happy. Tradesmen can make good money. Maybe not CEO but as much or more than a lot of white collar folks.
    Mainly you have to enjoy what you do. The money will take care of itself as if you love your work you will be good at it.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Bill (07-21-2017)

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Badguy View Post
    Maybe that proves we're all more alike than we'd like to think? My sister and her husband both served, she herself was quite liberal for a time but since serving has definitely started going the other way. Do I think she was indoctrinated? No, she just took a different path than myself. My dad might think she was indoctrinated though lol.
    And I got a double dose. Dad is retired military and both of my parents are/were very fundamental Christians. All 5 of us kids are/were very conservative...patriotically and socially. I think our raising definitely influenced us.

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    A kid I know tried college but it just didn't interest him. He's an HVAC mechanic now, making good money and happy. Tradesmen can make good money. Maybe not CEO but as much or more than a lot of white collar folks.
    Mainly you have to enjoy what you do. The money will take care of itself as if you love your work you will be good at it.
    I couldn't agree with this more. There is a huge shortage of HVAC people, welders, and other skilled tradesmen. My son spent this week in STEM camp sponsored by our tribe. They explored many ways to have careers in STEM fields both with a college degree and with technical training. It was a great camp. College ain't for everyone. (There's a reason for that last line and the colloquial replacement of "isn't")

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I couldn't agree with this more. There is a huge shortage of HVAC people, welders, and other skilled tradesmen. My son spent this week in STEM camp sponsored by our tribe. They explored many ways to have careers in STEM fields both with a college degree and with technical training. It was a great camp. College ain't for everyone. (There's a reason for that last line and the colloquial replacement of "isn't")
    I am jumping on that band wagon. If you go to the yards in the states nowadays the vast majority of the yard workers are grey. Not many young tradesman at all. Not unusual for a tradesman in the N.E. to bring home 100K a year easy. Everywhere you see help wanted signs. Most younger folks are not interested in working with their hands.

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    [SIZE=3]Remember, a dumbass, uneducated populace is easier to control?!!

It basically comes down to resentment.

Think about it. Almost the sum total of movement conservatism is built around resentment. Rightwing talk radio. Rightwing blogs. Fox News. You even see it in rightwing message boarders. And there are a lot of people making a lot of money stoking the flames of resentment.

Rightwing resentment, from what I have observed, can be distilled down to its essence: racial resentment, cultural resentment, and an inferiority complex-based resentment.

I mean, where did former poster Dixie's "pinhead liberals" insult come from? That's right...resentment of educated, well spoken liberals.

Hillary Clinton? Resentment both of "uppity" women, and resentment that liberals - through Hillary Clinton - would be forcing a black, gay, Kenyan-Marxist-Muslim agenda down the throats of the good people of Oklahoma and Alabama. You don't even have to take my word for it. There are rightwing message boarders on record saying the only reason they voted for Drumpf, was to stop the "bitch" from being prez.

I don't know how one manages to cope with life living in a constant state of resentment. But, I suspect Obamacare now requires insurers to cover these kind of mental health problems!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (07-22-2017)

10. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It basically comes down to resentment.

Think about it. Almost the sum total of movement conservatism is built around resentment. Rightwing talk radio. Rightwing blogs. Fox News. You even see it in rightwing message boarders. And there are a lot of people making a lot of money stoking the flames of resentment.

Rightwing resentment, from what I have observed, can be distilled down to its essence: racial resentment, cultural resentment, and an inferiority complex-based resentment.

I mean, where did former poster Dixie's "pinhead liberals" insult come from? That's right...resentment of educated, well spoken liberals.

Hillary Clinton? Resentment both of "uppity" women, and resentment that liberals - through Hillary Clinton - would be forcing a black, gay, Kenyan-Marxist-Muslim agenda down the throats of the good people of Oklahoma and Alabama. You don't even have to take my word for it. There are rightwing message boarders on record saying the only reason the voted for Drump, was to stop the "bitch" from being prez.

I don't know how one manages to cope with life living in a constant state of resentment. But, I suspect Obamacare now requires insurers to cover these kind of mental health problems!
    I suggest you read the posts on this board from at least half the liberals. Anything but educated or well spoken. Go out into the real world and it is even worse. You can get off your high horse. There is really nothing to stand on there at all.

11. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    That same argument could be applied to atheists that get pissy because they see the 10 Commandments.
    Well, yes, except that college education is about steeping a young adult mind in reason, analysis, logic and useful life skills whereas the ten commandments is magical horseshit from a Bedouin conman a billion years ago foisted on ignorant hillbillies from age 4 on.

Except for that detail, you are right.

12. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

^And right on que, one shows up to prove my point!

13. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I suggest you read the posts on this board from at least half the liberals. Anything but educated or well spoken. Go out into the real world and it is even worse. You can get off your high horse. There is really nothing to stand on there at all.
    But there isn't a Shetland pony tiny enough for him To see down to your level.

14. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Worth repeating.

15. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Cue or queue, uneducated dumbfuck.

16. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Worth repeating.
    Cue or queue, uneducated hick.

Worth repeating.

17. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Cue or queue, uneducated hick.

Worth repeating.
    In your case either or. It is not like it will make a difference!