1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yaya View Post
    Dummy
    Tell me again how you climbed El Cap in two hours...........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Tell me again how you climbed El Cap in two hours...........
    Apparently I need to tell you again I'm immortal. Funny how you're not questioning that assertion.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I'm just starting to get back into it & did a nice hike today just below 10,000
    I just saw this thread. If hiking includes long walks in the woods and mountains then I do a lot of that. I usuallyy hike with a purpose. I took about a 6 mile walk in the mountains (according to my etrex) the other day looking for muscadines. They should be ready to harvest about the first couple weeks of September. We made a day of it, looked for deer sign and likely places to set up a stand or two this fall.

We spend a great deal of time in the summer boating with john boats on creeks as well. Some trips are as many as 12 miles of water. No rapids. Just fishing along the way with camping sometimes at the end. Sometimes we park a truck at both ends of the trip and go home for the night. Sometimes we have a shore supper and camp or then go home.

I absolutely feel blessed to live in a place where I can enjoy the out of doors. We traveled west last year and I just hiked to see the scenery and wildlife. We spent 3 days in Sequoia National Park, 2 days in Yosemite and 5 days in Yellowstone. I lost so much weight during that three week trip. Loved it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Bill (08-07-2017)

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

I hiked Mount Everest in 2 hours. Did it in my flip flops, shorts and an aloha shirt.

Hey Bill, guess what

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Apparently I need to tell you again I'm immortal. Funny how you're not questioning that assertion.

& a liar........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I just saw this thread. If hiking includes long walks in the woods and mountains then I do a lot of that. I usuallyy hike with a purpose. I took about a 6 mile walk in the mountains (according to my etrex) the other day looking for muscadines. They should be ready to harvest about the first couple weeks of September. We made a day of it, looked for deer sign and likely places to set up a stand or two this fall.

We spend a great deal of time in the summer boating with john boats on creeks as well. Some trips are as many as 12 miles of water. No rapids. Just fishing along the way with camping sometimes at the end. Sometimes we park a truck at both ends of the trip and go home for the night. Sometimes we have a shore supper and camp or then go home.

I absolutely feel blessed to live in a place where I can enjoy the out of doors. We traveled west last year and I just hiked to see the scenery and wildlife. We spent 3 days in Sequoia National Park, 2 days in Yosemite and 5 days in Yellowstone. I lost so much weight during that three week trip. Loved it.
    Awesome, you are truly blessed & wise enough to take it all in & enjoy it......

I was in Yosemite (a couple hours away, as are the giant Sequoia as well as the redwoods) & hike up to 13,000ft for the first time, was awesome.

I do a lot of kayaking but just getting back into hiking again.. Next week we are going to do Mt. Whitney if we can land a mid-week permit..

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I hiked Mount Everest in 2 hours. Did it in my flip flops, shorts and an aloha shirt.

Hey Bill, guess what

still trolling..

Wow, I must-A really hit a nerve, my bad, now why don't you run along & go troll your favorites, I'm sure they miss your nose up there ass in every thread.

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Did Mt Judah loop yesterday.... 7,000-8,000 ft..

Around 15 miles & some Pacific Crest Trail..

Awesome views & temps..20170810_075407.jpg

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sumitted Mt Whitney 12:30PM on Wed....... walked all night from the Whitney portal...... 14,505ft

There were some Mountain lion reports/sightings before but we saw nothing all night..

ANyone besides yaya been to the top??

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — A nerve-rattling encounter with a mountain lion started with a fleeting glimpse of the big cat's tail on a High Sierra trail in California's wilderness.
    Brian McKinney didn't believe it was a puma that his hiking partner Sam Vonderheide had seen, so he got out his phone and hit record as they followed the lithe creature.
    The hikers slowly rounded a turn to see it peering down on them from a rocky perch just feet away.

IMAGE 1 OF 27

A mountain lion perched on a rock.

Its ears were perked up, head cocked and eyes locked on them.

"What are you supposed to do?" one hiker whispered. The other answered: "I don't know. I don't think you're supposed to run."
    McKinney said his heart races now seeing the video.
    "(I was) not only shocked, but alarmed that she had the advantage above me, which is what they do when they hunt," he said.
    Related Stories

Rangers at Sequoia National Park on Monday posted link to the two-minute video captured July 23.

The clip ends with the hikers slowly backing away. But they said the encounter didn't end there.
    They waited for the cat to leave and tried rousing it from the trail, so they could continue on to the place they wanted to set up camp. The lion didn't budge.
    "She just looked at us like she was entertained," he said. "So we gave up."

The two hikers then turned back and set up camp for a restless night's sleep in another area, their first of a nearly two-week-long hike up Mount Whitney, armed with only an ice ax and a bear whistle.
    The next day, they had to cross the path where they had the encounter.
    The men were so shaken they had made goodbye videos for their loved ones. Vonderheide was armed with the ice ax, but the only traces they found of the mountain lion were the paw marks it left behind.

Wildlife biologist Daniel Gammons said the men did the right thing by staying calm. Biologists say you should make yourself appear big by waving your arms overhead and scare off the animal, as the men did.
    "The big thing these visitors did right was that they didn't panic and run," Gammons said. "Probably the most important message to get out to visitors is not to act like prey if they encounter a mountain lion."
    While the encounter was terrifying, McKinney said he and Vonderheide had discussed spotting a puma.
    "When we started the trip, we sort of jokingly said, 'Wouldn't it be great if we saw the trifecta of a rattlesnake, a bear and a mountain lion?' " he said. "And sure enough, we got our wish."

Approaching the cabin on the summit, clouds coming in temps dropping..

Looking out from 14,505ft

Marmot begging for treats @ trail crest (where the Mt Whitney trail meets the John Muir trail coming in from the east)

97 switchbacks-trail camp

Top of summit

97 switchbacks about half way up before dawn mid August freezing our butts off~below freezing(almost had frost bite on fingers)

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

You fight bears very often??
    Once again Bukkky proves he's an asshole, nothing more.

Here in the Blue Ridge bears are very common. I always hike with a pistol.

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Right View Post
    Once again Bukkky proves he's an asshole, nothing more.

Here in the Blue Ridge bears are very common. I always hike with a pistol.
    Lots of extra weight but better than going down a hill in the belly of a beast....lol

You in Virginia??

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sumitted Mt Whitney 12:30PM on Wed....... walked all night from the Whitney portal...... 14,505ft

There were some Mountain lion reports/sightings before but we saw nothing all night..

ANyone besides yaya been to the top??

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — A nerve-rattling encounter with a mountain lion started with a fleeting glimpse of the big cat's tail on a High Sierra trail in California's wilderness.
    Brian McKinney didn't believe it was a puma that his hiking partner Sam Vonderheide had seen, so he got out his phone and hit record as they followed the lithe creature.
    The hikers slowly rounded a turn to see it peering down on them from a rocky perch just feet away.

IMAGE 1 OF 27

A mountain lion perched on a rock.

Its ears were perked up, head cocked and eyes locked on them.

"What are you supposed to do?" one hiker whispered. The other answered: "I don't know. I don't think you're supposed to run."
    McKinney said his heart races now seeing the video.
    "(I was) not only shocked, but alarmed that she had the advantage above me, which is what they do when they hunt," he said.
    Related Stories

Rangers at Sequoia National Park on Monday posted link to the two-minute video captured July 23.

The clip ends with the hikers slowly backing away. But they said the encounter didn't end there.
    They waited for the cat to leave and tried rousing it from the trail, so they could continue on to the place they wanted to set up camp. The lion didn't budge.
    "She just looked at us like she was entertained," he said. "So we gave up."

The two hikers then turned back and set up camp for a restless night's sleep in another area, their first of a nearly two-week-long hike up Mount Whitney, armed with only an ice ax and a bear whistle.
    The next day, they had to cross the path where they had the encounter.
    The men were so shaken they had made goodbye videos for their loved ones. Vonderheide was armed with the ice ax, but the only traces they found of the mountain lion were the paw marks it left behind.

Wildlife biologist Daniel Gammons said the men did the right thing by staying calm. Biologists say you should make yourself appear big by waving your arms overhead and scare off the animal, as the men did.
    "The big thing these visitors did right was that they didn't panic and run," Gammons said. "Probably the most important message to get out to visitors is not to act like prey if they encounter a mountain lion."
    While the encounter was terrifying, McKinney said he and Vonderheide had discussed spotting a puma.
    "When we started the trip, we sort of jokingly said, 'Wouldn't it be great if we saw the trifecta of a rattlesnake, a bear and a mountain lion?' " he said. "And sure enough, we got our wish."

Approaching the cabin on the summit, clouds coming in temps dropping..

Looking out from 14,505ft

Marmot begging for treats @ trail crest (where the Mt Whitney trail meets the John Muir trail coming in from the east)

97 switchbacks-trail camp

Top of summit

97 switchbacks about half way up before dawn mid August freezing our butts off~below freezing(almost had frost bite on fingers)

I do not know how I missed this one Wild Bill. Awesome!!

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Was great but now I'm having the post climb blues........ No new hikes/challenges in the works......(BIG POUT)..........

I did one a few days ago 1,800 elev gain/11 miles & was nice but was hot as hell (almost 100) & not very scenic...

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Was great but now I'm having the post climb blues........ No new hikes/challenges in the works......(BIG POUT)..........

I did one a few days ago 1,800 elev gain/11 miles & was nice but was hot as hell (almost 100) & not very scenic...
    Just think Bill, you are doing what many say they would. And never do. Even a bad hike is a good hike!

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Just think Bill, you are doing what many say they would. And never do. Even a bad hike is a good hike!
    LOL, the odd thing is I never said I was gonna do it.. A couple months ago I never even thought/cared about it.....

That was my 6th hike in 30 years..

I asked my dr thinking he would say I'm nuts & he said if not now, when.wtf? SO I went for it.....

Anyway I'm joining some hiking groups & hopefully get more hikes in before winter...... You ever do any hiking?