View Poll Results: Which JPP Migration Wave is Worse?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • AOL

5 71.43%
  • DC Junkies

2 28.57%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which JPP Migration Wave is Worse?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Right View Post
    I'm calling bullshit on this. I was introduced to the C word in elementary school. No way 3D learned only a few years ago, unless he's now only graduating high school.
    Well, if 15 years ago is a few, then, you got me. C bombs are more of a British thing, as every Brit I've encountered has demonstrated to me. As an American kid, we just said "fuck" every other word.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The drop in civility and manners has nothing to do with AOL or any other board.
    Even among many of the original fp-jpp posters I have noticed a tangible drop in civility and manners. You would be surprised how seemingly well mannered people can devolve into foul mouthed, ill tempered, emotionally unstable, slandering, libeling, personal vendetta-pursuing, cynical goons.

I know teenagers and children with better manners than some adult message boarders.

I think it is a phenomena more broadly: the internet has bred, and provides safe harbor, for the worst instincts in humans who are too weak to exercise self-control. And I think it is worse now than it was ten or fifteen years ago. Part of it is the safety of an anonymous keyboard, part of it is lack of moderation, and part of it is the general acceptance of posters and moderators to tolerate racism, misogyny, and lying. I mean, these days when a rightwing message board poster calls black people n****ger or women c**ts, their fellow rightwing posters will provide safe harbor for it and will barely bat an eye
    I agree w/ your description of many ppl visiting boards but I was around when AOL was first starting as well as the Mac board.. Been on many boards since but I do recall it was horrid @ AOL back then as there were no mods & ppl were pretty ugly & nothing prevented them from letting it all out.. Same w/ the Bill Maher board till they hired some piss poor mods & many left..

AWE (arguewitheveryone) was probably the worst of the modern boards IMHO as it was essentially still not moderated @ all up till their last year or so, but by then it was to late & they were in a downward spiral... Many great posters there as well as way to many swine & others so low as not worthy of mention.......

I thought most of the new ppl came from USMESSAGE BOARD??

SHOUT OUT TO ALL THE OLD BILL MAHER BOARD ALUMNI....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,626 Times in 27,290 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I agree w/ your description of many ppl visiting boards but I was around when AOL was first starting as well as the Mac board.. Been on many boards since but I do recall it was horrid @ AOL back then as there were no mods & ppl were pretty ugly & nothing prevented them from letting it all out.. Same w/ the Bill Maher board till they hired some piss poor mods & many left..

AWE (arguewitheveryone) was probably the worst of the modern boards IMHO as it was essentially still not moderated @ all up till their last year or so, but by then it was to late & they were in a downward spiral... Many great posters there as well as way to many swine & others so low as not worthy of mention.......

I thought most of the new ppl came from USMESSAGE BOARD??

SHOUT OUT TO ALL THE OLD BILL MAHER BOARD ALUMNI....
    Not sure where the new ones are from, don't really care.

Righty-O.
    I can only speak to my message board adventures, but the original crew at fp and the early days of jpp, and a couple other boards I visited were pretty civil for the most part, and largely self-policing. I remember very little tolerance for flagrant racism - you know, the kind of category 5 maelstrom of racism that now happens here now on a daily basis, without TeaBaggers as much as batting an eye.

My observation is that, to some extent, these boards have descended into cynicism, nihilism, resentment, petty vendettas, and flagrant racism and misogyny. I will admit I perhaps missed a lot of hillbilly shit and cynicism before. I generally just tend to scroll past crap to read the posters I find to be compelling, well spoken, funny, or interesting. Maybe I am just naïve!

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charver View Post
    A lot of us started off on a site called Politics.com back in the early 2000s and later migrated to FullPolitics when the first site began to die.

After further board turmoil we demanded a little lebensraum and Damo obliged by setting this place up.

Seventeen years later and we've still barely learned to communicate with each other.
    Politics.com! That takes me back. I remember you couldn't bump a thread - if an intense debate got going, you'd have to follow the thread as it kept descending through the pages.

I wonder how many posters are still here from that site.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Not sure where the new ones are from, don't really care.

Righty-O.
    I can only speak to my message board adventures, but the original crew at fp and the early days of jpp, and a couple other boards I visited were pretty civil for the most part, and largely self-policing. I remember very little tolerance for flagrant racism - you know, the kind of category 5 maelstrom of racism that now happens here now on a daily basis, without TeaBaggers as much as batting an eye.

My observation is that, to some extent, these boards have descended into cynicism, nihilism, resentment, petty vendettas, and flagrant racism and misogyny. I will admit I perhaps missed a lot of hillbilly shit and cynicism before. I generally just tend to scroll past crap to read the posters I find to be compelling, well spoken, funny, or interesting. Maybe I am just naïve!
    I have been on boards that were pretty much self-policing (usually smaller ones) but that can only work so far. If you get a serious troll or some other kinda asshole, someone is gonna have to get rid of them as the members can't & they know that.. Unfortunately that is the sole reason some of them visit a board, to just be an asshole..

What I liked about the self-policing aspect (& we saw that last week thanks to TDK) is it brings the locals together~puts them on the same side..

IMHO that(red highlight) has always been there & it always will.. THere is no way to stop it, it's what some ppl like to do.....

I noticed long ago that some ppl hate someone but they love to hate them, going to a message board to do so is what they live for/go there for... If that person leaves for whatever reason they have no reason or fewer reasons to go there.......

Here, as anywhere there are ppl that have hated on each other for years & years, it is a kinda sick symbiotic relationship they both seem to like & benefit from in some way..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    Politics.com! That takes me back. I remember you couldn't bump a thread - if an intense debate got going, you'd have to follow the thread as it kept descending through the pages.

Obviously the Trinity were all there. Brent used to troll that site mercilessly.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

not too many of us have the holy p-fp-jpp lineage.

We are the most noble blood. Our current ruling dynasty, the damoians, goes back to the beginning of political board time. the P-FP-JPP group has the most ancient blood. The most patrician of the classes.

Obviously, I am in this line.

off the top of my head we have:

Me
    Damo
    Threedee
    Watermark
    Billy claims p-fp-jpp, I only remember him from FP, which goes back to 2005. Still pretty good. I think billy claims full lineage though
    Rana was froggie for a bit on P i think, but she has mixed lineage with Aolers.
    Moot the loser has it
    Cypriss has it
    Cawacko
    Desh has it (and has retained her true name and title according to me)
    Jarod
    Right
    Rstring the fake libertarian
    Smarterthanyou (i think maybe)
    Yaya (i.e. yurtles)
    thing1 (lorax)

there are more i can't think of.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-19-2017)

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Cypress must not recall how bad things really were on P.Com. Even at the height of IHA lobbing C-bombs at all of the JPP women, we were still a more civil/mature community than P.Com. I was a sheltered youth, and that site added a reference library to my list of racist slurs (I basically only knew the N word, and the slurs used in American wars throughout history. In fact, I didn't yet even know the C word.).
    I had to put liberals in their place. They are much more well behaved now.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

I started at FP, was also a member of Netscape, left it when AOL took over, found FP then moved here, tried USMB and DCJ, but didn't post there much

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Christ Puncher View Post
    not too many of us have the holy p-fp-jpp lineage.

We are the most noble blood. Our current ruling dynasty, the damoians, goes back to the beginning of political board time. the P-FP-JPP group has the most ancient blood. The most patrician of the classes.

Obviously, I am in this line.

off the top of my head we have:

Me
    Damo
    Threedee
    Watermark
    Billy claims p-fp-jpp, I only remember him from FP, which goes back to 2005. Still pretty good. I think billy claims full lineage though
    Rana was froggie for a bit on P i think, but she has mixed lineage with Aolers.
    Moot the loser has it
    Cypriss has it
    Cawacko
    Desh has it (and has retained her true name and title according to me)
    Jarod
    Right
    Rstring the fake libertarian
    Smarterthanyou (i think maybe)
    Yaya (i.e. yurtles)
    thing1 (lorax)

there are more i can't think of.
    You are correct, P was falling apart so I went to FP. I was on Netscape but left AOL because of posting of personal information.

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

The early naughties, eh? Remember the stupid clothes we wore whilst listening to the popular music charts we'd just downloaded from Napsters, on our wooden iPods? Thems were the days.

However, the more things change the more things stay the same, as a wise old crone may have muttered at some point in history, only to be quickly denounced as a witch and burned at the stake. Anyway, here's someone complaining about the childish nature of the Politics.com board, back in 2003.

Sorry the screenshot is a bit shite. I can't be bothered to do it again but it's here (points down) if you want to relive the old memories.

http://web.archive.org/web/200308021...d=10111&page=2

Oh, and there's some chap called 'Grind' giving his opinion, a little further down the thread, to boot.

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

The early naughties, eh? Remember the stupid clothes we wore whilst listening to the popular music charts we'd just downloaded from Napsters, on our wooden iPods? Thems were the days.

However, the more things change the more things stay the same, as a wise old crone may have muttered at some point in history, only to be quickly denounced as a witch and burned at the stake. Anyway, here's someone complaining about the childish nature of the Politics.com board, back in 2003.

Sorry the screenshot is a bit shite. I can't be bothered to do it again but it's here (points down) if you want to relive the old memories.

Oh, and there's some chap called 'Grind' giving his opinion, a little further down the thread, to boot.
    Sounds almost like where JPP is headed.

SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

14. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

if you hover over my username and look in the status bar you can see my userid = 85 which means I was one of the first hundred on the iteration of that site. that's how old school I am.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (07-19-2017)

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Christ Puncher View Post
    if you hover over my username and look in the status bar you can see my userid = 85 which means I was one of the first hundred on the iteration of that site. that's how old school I am.
    that's nothin'.......my membership # in ebay was four digits......

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,626 Times in 27,290 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Cypress must not recall how bad things really were on P.Com. Even at the height of IHA lobbing C-bombs at all of the JPP women, we were still a more civil/mature community than P.Com. I was a sheltered youth, and that site added a reference library to my list of racist slurs (I basically only knew the N word, and the slurs used in American wars throughout history. In fact, I didn't yet even know the C word.).
    I defer to your judgement on p.com, because I think I was only on p.com for a few months before it cratered and the subsequent migration to fp.
    My recollection of fp and the early days of jpp might be rose colored, but I don't remember a bunch of stormfronters, personal vendettas, and cynicism at that time. I thought everyone, for the most part, was pretty civilized to each other. I mean, I thought Dixie was about as bad as it got, he being kind of a confederate throw back, but even Dixie seems civil by todays message board standards.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-20-2017)