Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who are the best tippers?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Who are the best tippers?

Sorry microweber, bad timing to make the comment you did. But hey, we know liberals are generous with other people's money.

Republicans, men, credit card users are the best tippers

Who are the best tippers? According to a new survey by CreditCards.com, the most generous tippers are men, Republicans, Northeasterners and credit and debit card users. (Probably not among this group: Oklahoma City Thunder guard Andre Roberson, who last week left a $13.97 tip on a $487.13 bar tab and was promptly teased by teammates on Twitter.)

All these groups tip a median of 20% when dining at a restaurant, the CreditCards.com survey found. At the other end of the spectrum, women tip a median of 16% and Democrats, southerners and people who pay in cash tip a median of 15%.

So why do men and Republicans come out as the better tippers? Matt Schulz, CreditCards.com’s senior industry analyst, says it generally comes down to income.

“The more money you have, the more likely you are to leave a little more money on table at end of the night. Those groups – Republicans, men, Northeasterners – are higher income than their counterparts,” he said.

Men aren’t always so generous

About half of those who tip restaurant servers typically fall within a 16%-20% range for tips, and a tip amount of 11%-15% is a distant second. And we were a little shocked to learn that one out of five restaurant diners doesn’t leave gratuity at all, at least occasionally, according to the survey.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/repub...?.tsrc=fauxdal

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who are the best tippers? The ones that have actual money. So you are right, that would leave out PackD.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm honored. Haven't been called out by name in the first post of a thread in some time. Thought I was losing my edge.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I'm honored. Haven't been called out by name in the first post of a thread in some time. Thought I was losing my edge.
    You did. A long time ago. It is more like kicking a cur to the curb.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah baby. I have said many times on here I am an excellent tipper. It's always 20% minimum with me and I round up. The poll missed one thing though, that demographic is all about being classy and sophisticated. That's me and my people. I will bestow upon the button pushers great riches for their service

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Sorry microweber, bad timing to make the comment you did. But hey, we know liberals are generous with other people's money.

Republicans, men, credit card users are the best tippers

Who are the best tippers? According to a new survey by CreditCards.com, the most generous tippers are men, Republicans, Northeasterners and credit and debit card users. (Probably not among this group: Oklahoma City Thunder guard Andre Roberson, who last week left a $13.97 tip on a $487.13 bar tab and was promptly teased by teammates on Twitter.)

All these groups tip a median of 20% when dining at a restaurant, the CreditCards.com survey found. At the other end of the spectrum, women tip a median of 16% and Democrats, southerners and people who pay in cash tip a median of 15%.

So why do men and Republicans come out as the better tippers? Matt Schulz, CreditCards.com’s senior industry analyst, says it generally comes down to income.

“The more money you have, the more likely you are to leave a little more money on table at end of the night. Those groups – Republicans, men, Northeasterners – are higher income than their counterparts,” he said.

Men aren’t always so generous

About half of those who tip restaurant servers typically fall within a 16%-20% range for tips, and a tip amount of 11%-15% is a distant second. And we were a little shocked to learn that one out of five restaurant diners doesn’t leave gratuity at all, at least occasionally, according to the survey.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/repub...?.tsrc=fauxdal
    One caveat you have to keep in mind is this is self-reporting. Everyone was on the honor system to tell the truth.

I think some people exaggerate how generous they are. And some people are just relentless liars. Surprisingly, I have found that republicans and men often fall into this subgroup.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Althea (07-12-2017)

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Cypress you are a poor loser that wears birkenstocks

---

Grind is basically right

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

Minister of Truth (07-11-2017)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    One caveat you have to keep in mind is this is self-reporting. Everyone was on the honor system to tell the truth.

I think some people exaggerate how generous they are. And some people are just relentless liars. Surprisingly, I have found that republicans and men often fall into this subgroup.
    So Democratic women just admit they are cheap?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-11-2017)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I tip 20 percent as a rule, and the exception is very bad food or service in which case I'll dial it back to as low as 10% if I'm really pissed, say if the order is wrong.
    One other thing is I'm not tipping 20% on the booze check if I purchase a spendy wine. I'll tip 20 percent on the food and a flat $10 per for corking my bottles. A grand cru is as simple to open as a twist sauvignon blanc and I don't require sommelier services. I do know the etiquette on that is split of authority, but if I buy $200 or $300 in wine, I'm not giving a waiter $60 extra for 2 or 3 corks. The man or woman is going to make $100 off me and that's plenty for what he/she did. Call me cheap. I can take it.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Even on sports boards I see the debate over what the appropriate amount to tip on wine is. It's a legitimate question.

On a smaller scale someone gives me a beer I give them a dollar. Give me a kettle rocks I give a dollar. But some places charge $15+ for a kettle rocks. Am I cheap for still want to tip only $1?

And living in SF we have a health mandate fee added to every bill. Always pisses me off tipping on that.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I tip 20% all the time. They need the money more than I do.

I don't really even adjust this based on service, I'm not going to sit around and judge my servers service all day and screw their tip if I'm not satisfied. Really I'm more annoyed when they're too attentive, please ignore me a bit. Just like I feel like I've won the lottery when I get an Uber driver who doesn't say a single word to me.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

Rune (07-12-2017)

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

oh man, non talking uber drivers are the holy grail

---

Grind is basically right

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (07-12-2017)

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuck Populists View Post
    I tip 20% all the time. They need the money more than I do.

I don't really even adjust this based on service, I'm not going to sit around and judge my servers service all day and screw their tip if I'm not satisfied. Really I'm more annoyed when they're too attentive, please ignore me a bit. Just like I feel like I've won the lottery when I get an Uber driver who doesn't say a single word to me.
    I'm harsher with attitude than I am with competence. I have enormous patience, and suck at details, so, an incompetent server never really registers with me. I don't think I've personally had a douchy server, but, the ones with personality, charm, and charisma always get a little extra.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Concrete Blondes, because everybody knows.....

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Christ Puncher View Post
    Yeah baby. I have said many times on here I am an excellent tipper. It's always 20% minimum with me and I round up. The poll missed one thing though, that demographic is all about being classy and sophisticated. That's me and my people. I will bestow upon the button pushers great riches for their service
    Nice of you to allow a few crumbs to fall from your table.

Sent from my iPhone 25S with cherries on top