Thread: Jacob Rees-Mogg counteracts brainwashing

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charver View Post
    The chap comes across as affable enough and does seem quite genuinly principled, which is also a problem.

One look at his voting record suggests that a future prime ministerial vacancy is not something coming his way anytime soon.

Unfortunately for him, he was born about a century too late.
    Yet you say that whilst knowing that Marxist dinosaurs, like Corbyn and McDonnell, have resurrected policies that should have been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Sent from my iPhone 25S with cherries on top

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milagro View Post
    Yet you say that whilst knowing that Marxist dinosaurs, like Corbyn and McDonnell, have resurrected policies that should have been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Maybe, but their policies are quite popular.

JRM's anti-gay stuff just won't fly with a modern electorate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to charver For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (07-09-2017)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

No matter how crazy your platform is, eventually the other guys will fuck up and put you in power to implement it. Republicans realized this in the 60's and have drug America far to the right while the Democrats are the adults in the room constantly chasing the center.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

He is a staunch Catholic and therefore opposed to gay marriage on the grounds that it is reserved for men and women only. I have never heard him speak against civil partnerships though. I also had my doubts about gay marriage in Great Britain thinking that the gay lobby would try to force religious bodies to accept marriage in church against their will. That doesn't appear to have happened, so far at least. I felt it was truly shameful that many Catholic adoption agencies closed rather than be forced to handle adoptions by gay couples. I might also point out that Obama was anti-gay marriage as well until he changed his mind.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well 'free money' is always popular isn't it? If even a fraction of their economic policies were implemented the country would be bankrupted pretty damn quick. I am old enough to remember what happened in the 70s first hand, you, I imagine were too young or not even born.

I should also point that Corbyn was profoundly dishonest about Labour's position on Brexit. No wonder he was so quiet last year, many voted for him thinking he wanted to keep in the Single Market and the Customs Union. Now they discover that he is a lifelong critic who voted for leaving the EU in 1975. He wants to leave because he thinks that he will unable to turn all the spending taps on whilst in the EU. France has just been told to get their deficit below 3%, Corbyn would send it into the stratosphere.

Last edited by cancel2 2022; 07-09-2017 at 01:16 PM.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

He is a staunch Catholic and therefore opposed to gay marriage on the grounds that it is reserved for men and women only. I have never heard him speak against civil partnerships though. I also had my doubts about gay marriage in Great Britain thinking that the gay lobby would try to force religious bodies to accept marriage in church against their will. That doesn't appear to have happened, so far at least. I felt it was truly shameful that many Catholic adoption agencies closed rather than be forced to handle adoptions by gay couples. I might also point out that Obama was anti-gay marriage as well until he changed his mind.
    Yeah, i know about the Catholic thing. They are his principles and that's fine as a constituency MP. However, they are going to cause him problems if he ever stood for the leadership (he'd be inhabiting that Liam Fox sector of the party that never seem to get their campaigns off the ground) never mind attempting to sell an anti-equality message to the country. I don't know about his stance on civil partnerships either.

The only reason to elect him leader would be if he could sell a message to a more youthful elctorate (or at least an electorate under the age of 45). He's against sexual equality, he's a climate change denier, he's all for leaving the EU and he supports welfare cuts and zero hours contracts. Something tells me that's going to be somewhat difficult, despite his posh-chap-out-of-water routine. Now i know you, probably, agree with all those positions but that demographic just don't, no matter how misguided you may think they are. That's why he's not going to become PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to charver For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-09-2017)

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well 'free money' is always popular isn't it? If even a fraction of their economic policies were implemented the country would be bankrupted pretty damn quick. I am old enough to remember what happened in the 70s first hand, you, I imagine were too young or not even born.

I should also point that Corbyn was profoundly dishonest about Labour's position on Brexit. No wonder he was so quiet last year, many voted for him thinking he wanted to keep in the Single Market and the Customs Union. Now they discover that he is a lifelong critic who voted for leaving the EU in 1975. He wants to leave because he thinks that he will unable to turn all the spending taps on whilst in the EU. France has just been told to get their deficit below 3%, Corbyn would send it into the stratosphere.

Yes, people do like free money. The Tories used to make this offer quite frequently during elections. Tax cuts for the wealthy, bribing pensioners, free council houses, that sort of thing. You can hardly blame a man who was going to be wiped out in a Conservative landslide for saying "to hell with it" and putting out a fantasy wish-list, can you?

Also, anyone who was unaware of Corbyns anti-EU past and very luke-warm support for remaining can't have been paying attention during the referendum, where he was constantly criticised by his own MPs for failing to make the case. Don't you remember Chris Bryant et al claiming he'd voted 'Leave'?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to charver For This Post:

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, people do like free money. The Tories used to make this offer quite frequently during elections. Tax cuts for the wealthy, bribing pensioners, free council houses, that sort of thing. You can hardly blame a man who was going to be wiped out in a Conservative landslide for saying "to hell with it" and putting out a fantasy wish-list, can you?

Also, anyone who was unaware of Corbyns anti-EU past and very luke-warm support for remaining can't have been paying attention during the referendum, where he was constantly criticised by his own MPs for failing to make the case. Don't you remember Chris Bryant et al claiming he'd voted 'Leave'?
    How are they bribing pensioners? We still pay one of the lowest state pensions in Western Europe.

Many voted for Corbyn thinking that he'd thwart Brexit, he deliberately remained as low key as possible on the issue.

Last edited by cancel2 2022; 07-09-2017 at 03:43 PM.

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

How are they bribing pensioners? We still pay one of the lowest state pensions in Western Europe.

Many voted for Corbyn thinking that he'd thwart Brexit, he deliberately remained as low key as possible on the issue.
    By bribes i was thinking of the fact that pensioner benefits have continued to rise in comparison with working-age benefits, which have been cut or frozen in real terms.

And, i don't disagree that Corbyn did remain low key on (i still hate that word and refuse to use it) leaving the EU. It's the sensible option for him to take with the splits in the party. I mean the Tories are a party of Leavers led by a Remainer and Labour is a party of Remainers led by a Leaver. It's quite, quite, mad. His sole job now is to bring down the government and obfuscating on the leave process is key to that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to charver For This Post:

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

By bribes i was thinking of the fact that pensioner benefits have continued to rise in comparison with working-age benefits, which have been cut or frozen in real terms.

And, i don't disagree that Corbyn did remain low key on (i still hate that word and refuse to use it) leaving the EU. It's the sensible option for him to take with the splits in the party. I mean the Tories are a party of Leavers led by a Remainer and Labour is a party of Remainers led by a Leaver. It's quite, quite, mad. His sole job now is to bring down the government and obfuscating on the leave process is key to that.
    Yet thirty odd years ago Labour was the party of leavers. Indeed I voted for Michael Foot because he wanted to leave back in 1983.

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Do you say Channel Tunnel?

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Do you say Channel Tunnel?
    ????

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    He doesn't like the word "Brexit," so, I wonder what he thinks of "Chunnel."
    People don't really say Chunnel except in the media. They are more likely to say taking the Eurostar or taking a ferry.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Minister of Truth (07-10-2017)

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Moggie was a star on last week's Question Time. He can say things that would make people wince if other politicians said them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40547740

Last edited by cancel2 2022; 07-10-2017 at 04:09 AM.