Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most Of America’s Terrorists Are White, And Not Muslim

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I should say in parts of the Bay Area there is a very large Muslim population. The city of Fremont for instance is one example.

But within the circles I run in SF I don't see many. Or at least people that state so

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I sense a big culture difference between SF and Pittsburgh. Nobody here would bat an eyelash if you mentioned you were Christian, in fact it would be taken for granted whether you mentioned it or not.
    It is a cultural thing. They talk about it a lot at our church how people are afraid to admit they go for fear of how they'll be treated at work. Some areas of the country of course it's just assumed you are Christian and go to church

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,714 Times in 27,344 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Not saracasm at all. I've lived in the Bay Area for 30 years. 10 in Oakland and 20 in SF. Went to school in LA and spent an additional 4 years there. This was all living in the cities, not one of their suburbs. I come across very few Muslims. Now at my current job we have a number of programmers from India and China so it's possible they could be Muslim but you wouldn't know it on the surface.

I don't know what the Muslim population is in SF but when you go to "upper end" events you don't come across Muslims.
    Well, everyone's experience is different. I don't know anything about the "upper end" in SF. I can only speak from my experience living in California, and certainly when I worked in the international petroleum industry it was fairly routine to meet Muslims, work with them, and socialize with them.

We have a lot of Syrians living around here now, and it is pretty routine to meet them. Surprised to hear SF is vastly different.

As far as your post about being harangued because you are Christian, it sounds like you work with some real dickheads. I have never had a job in my life, in any state in America where being Christian would subject you to harassment at work. In fact, that is exactly what those notorious leftwing Marxists at ACLU fight against. You might have an ACLU case!!

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    When it comes to domestic terrorism in America, the numbers don’t lie: Far-right extremists are behind far more plots and attacks than Islamist extremists.

There were almost twice as many terrorist incidents by right-wing extremists as by Islamist extremists in the U.S. from 2008 to 2016, according to a new report from The Nation Institute’s Investigative Fund and The Center for Investigative Reporting’s Reveal.

Looking at both plots and attacks carried out, the group tracked*201 terrorist incidents on U.S. soil from January 2008 to the end of 2016. The database shows 115 cases by right-wing extremists ― from white supremacists to militias to “sovereign citizens” ― compared to 63 cases by Islamist extremists.*Incidents from left-wing extremists, which include ecoterrorists and animal rights militants, were comparatively rare, with 19 incidents.

While the database makes a point of distinguishing between different groups within right-wing extremism,*lead reporter David Neiwert*told HuffPost that “those are all gradations of white supremacy, variations on the same thing.” When it comes to right-wing extremism, attackers are also “mostly men” and “almost purely white,” Neiwert said.

Attacks by right-wing extremists were also more often deadly, with nearly a third of right-wing extremist incidents resulting in deaths compared with 13 percent of Islamist extremist cases resulting in deaths. However, the sheer number of people killed by Islamist extremists ― a total of 90 people killed ― was higher than the death toll at the hands of right-wing extremists ― 79 people killed.

Meanwhile, President Donald Trump has focused his rhetoric and policies almost entirely on countering Islamist extremism, and not white supremacist extremism.

“As with a lot of things related to Trump and the Islamophobic right, the reality is viewed through an upside-down looking glass,” Neiwert*said. “The reality is the most significant domestic terror threat we have is right-wing extremism.”

The Investigative Fund’s findings reflect those of previous studies of domestic terrorism. The New America Foundation, for instance, which has been tracking deadly terror incidents on U.S. soil since the Sept. 11 attacks, also finds an almost two-to-one ratio of attacks by far-right extremists to Islamist extremists, with 21 deadly attacks by far-right extremists, compared to 11 by Islamist extremists.

Despite the facts, many Americans still associate terror attacks with Islamist extremists rather than far-right extremists, Neiwart noted.

“I think the larger perception in the public ― and this includes many progressives and liberals ― is the inversion of the reality: that the greatest threat we face is Islamist radicals,” Neiwert said.“ And it’s reflected in the way the press report upon various kinds of domestic terror attacks: When it’s a white domestic terrorist, they underplay it, write it off to mental illness.”

---

At the end of the day, it’s not only on the government to acknowledge the reality of the growing threat of far-right extremism, according to Neiwert, it’s on everyone from members of the media to average Americans.

“First thing we need to do is recognize that it’s there, it’s a problem, it’s a threat ― as great a threat as Islamists,” Neiwert said. “And it needs to be taken seriously.”
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0da2c731a84df

Homegrown Terrorism and why the Threat of Right-Wing Terrorism is Rising in America
    http://www.newsweek.com/homegrown-te...tremism-619724
    I GOTTA SAY : YOU ARE A DAMNED LIAR.
    Even so, Come, Lord Jesus
    I do not participate in delusion count me out

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iewitness For This Post:

Truth Detector (06-26-2017)

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Well, everyone's experience is different. I don't know anything about the "upper end" in SF. I can only speak from my experience living in California, and certainly when I worked in the international petroleum industry it was fairly routine to meet Muslims, work with them, and socialize with them.

We have a lot of Syrians living around here now, and it is pretty routine to meet them. Surprised to hear SF is vastly different.

As far as your post about being harangued because you are Christian, it sounds like you work with some real dickheads. I have never had a job in my life, in any state in America where being Christian would subject you to harassment at work. In fact, that is exactly what those notorious leftwing Marxists at ACLU fight against. You might have an ACLU case!!
    I work at one of these "fintech" firms which is a combination of technology and real estate and our entire technology team is from India or China. That's seems to be a pretty common theme at many tech firms in SF and the Silicon Valley.

The last company I was at was similar where almost every engineer was of Indian or Asian decent. (The head engineer was from India. I heard him one day go to HR and say "I need some diversity in these resumes. Can I get a white male?" It was pretty funny.)

So it's possible a number of these folks are Muslim and I'm just not aware.

Most of the people who have given me sh*t for being Christian are people I'm friends with. (It's not something I talk about much in general and if it weren't for my wife i probably wouldn't go to church much at all). But nonetheless it is somewhat disconcerting at times wondering what they really think about it but such is life. I don't lose sleep over it

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    You're not going to get many rational responses to this from JPP's Righties...

the truth hurts!
    The good news is that I expect nothing remotely close to a civil conversation about this from them .. but then again, I didn't post this for them.

The bad news is that most of America has no idea how deep the threat of right-wing terrorism truly is.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

How many Muslims do you think us upper crust folk in SF hang out with? It's like people in lily white Marin. They sit there at their all upper class all white parties talking about how open minded and tolerant they are. Give me a break
    Somehow you've still got to make this about Bay area liberals .. it isn't.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Well, if you're going to go down that road.......

59,564,420 babies have been ripped apart, beheaded, burned, poisoned, tortured and murdered by white, black, Muslim, male, female (and Lord knows what other identity) terrorists in the U.S. since 1973
    and 17,869,327 of those babies were black.
    Kinda' strange .. and has nothing to do with the issue.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is what it is. Many of y'all love to point to Californias economy and use it as proof that liberal policies work best but you don't like it when the warts in California are exposed.

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iewitness View Post
    I GOTTA SAY : YOU ARE A DAMNED LIAR.
    :0) I gotta' say .. you are fucking ignorant.

First asshole, I didn't write the article nor conduct the study. Incredible ignorance is your only excuse for not knowing that.

Secondly, if you have statistics to the contrary, be my guest Mr. Twinkles .. post them and PROVE the study is a lie.

else .. fuck you.

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

When it comes to domestic terrorism in America, the numbers don’t lie: Far-right extremists are behind far more plots and attacks than Islamist extremists.

There were almost twice as many terrorist incidents by right-wing extremists as by Islamist extremists in the U.S. from 2008 to 2016, according to a new report from The Nation Institute’s Investigative Fund and The Center for Investigative Reporting’s Reveal.

Looking at both plots and attacks carried out, the group tracked*201 terrorist incidents on U.S. soil from January 2008 to the end of 2016. The database shows 115 cases by right-wing extremists ― from white supremacists to militias to “sovereign citizens” ― compared to 63 cases by Islamist extremists.*Incidents from left-wing extremists, which include ecoterrorists and animal rights militants, were comparatively rare, with 19 incidents.

While the database makes a point of distinguishing between different groups within right-wing extremism,*lead reporter David Neiwert*told HuffPost that “those are all gradations of white supremacy, variations on the same thing.” When it comes to right-wing extremism, attackers are also “mostly men” and “almost purely white,” Neiwert said.

Attacks by right-wing extremists were also more often deadly, with nearly a third of right-wing extremist incidents resulting in deaths compared with 13 percent of Islamist extremist cases resulting in deaths. However, the sheer number of people killed by Islamist extremists ― a total of 90 people killed ― was higher than the death toll at the hands of right-wing extremists ― 79 people killed.

Meanwhile, President Donald Trump has focused his rhetoric and policies almost entirely on countering Islamist extremism, and not white supremacist extremism.

“As with a lot of things related to Trump and the Islamophobic right, the reality is viewed through an upside-down looking glass,” Neiwert*said. “The reality is the most significant domestic terror threat we have is right-wing extremism.”

The Investigative Fund’s findings reflect those of previous studies of domestic terrorism. The New America Foundation, for instance, which has been tracking deadly terror incidents on U.S. soil since the Sept. 11 attacks, also finds an almost two-to-one ratio of attacks by far-right extremists to Islamist extremists, with 21 deadly attacks by far-right extremists, compared to 11 by Islamist extremists.

Despite the facts, many Americans still associate terror attacks with Islamist extremists rather than far-right extremists, Neiwart noted.

“I think the larger perception in the public ― and this includes many progressives and liberals ― is the inversion of the reality: that the greatest threat we face is Islamist radicals,” Neiwert said.“ And it’s reflected in the way the press report upon various kinds of domestic terror attacks: When it’s a white domestic terrorist, they underplay it, write it off to mental illness.”

---

At the end of the day, it’s not only on the government to acknowledge the reality of the growing threat of far-right extremism, according to Neiwert, it’s on everyone from members of the media to average Americans.

“First thing we need to do is recognize that it’s there, it’s a problem, it’s a threat ― as great a threat as Islamists,” Neiwert said. “And it needs to be taken seriously.”
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0da2c731a84df

Homegrown Terrorism and why the Threat of Right-Wing Terrorism is Rising in America
    http://www.newsweek.com/homegrown-te...tremism-619724
    Watch Republicans line up in defense of domestic terrorists by denying they exist. So sad that the second largest political party in America has come close to being the largest by enlisting the deplorables.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-26-2017)

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is what it is. Many of y'all love to point to Californias economy and use it as proof that liberal policies work best but you don't like it when the warts in California are exposed.
    In case you missed it my friend .. this isn't about liberals in California.

It's about terrorists on your side of the fence.

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What warts. I don't mind you pointing out the warts as long as you admit how awesome the economy is. If you don't admit that, you might as well be Trump.

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Watch Republicans line up in defense of domestic terrorists by denying they exist. So sad that the second largest political party in America has come close to being the largest by enlisting the deplorables.
    Absolutely correct on both counts.

But the potential for nationwide right-wing terrorism has grown exponentially.

The FBI Has Quietly Investigated White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement
    Bureau policies have been crafted to take into account the active presence of domestic extremists in U.S. police departments.

President Trump has inherited a vast domestic intelligence agency with extraordinary secret powers. A cache of documents offers a rare window into the FBI’s quiet expansion since 9/11.

White supremacists and other domestic extremists*maintain an active presence in U.S. police departments and other law enforcement agencies. A striking reference to*that*conclusion, notable for*its confidence*and the policy prescriptions that accompany*it, appears in*a*classified FBI Counterterrorism Policy Guide from April 2015, obtained by The Intercept. The guide,*which details the process by which the FBI enters individuals on a terrorism watchlist, the Known or Suspected Terrorist File, notes that “domestic terrorism investigations focused on militia extremists, white supremacist extremists, and sovereign citizen extremists often have identified active links to law enforcement officers,” and explains in some detail how bureau policies have been crafted to take this infiltration into account.

Although these right-wing extremists have posed a growing threat for years, federal investigators have been reluctant to publicly address that threat or to point out the movement’s longstanding strategy of infiltrating the law enforcement community.
    No centralized recruitment process or set of national standards exists for the 18,000 law enforcement agencies in the United States, many of which have deep historical connections to racist ideologies. As a result, state and local police as well as sheriff’s departments present ample opportunities for white supremacists and other right-wing extremists looking to expand their power base.

In a heavily redacted version of an October 2006 FBI internal intelligence assessment, the agency raised the alarm over white supremacist groups’ “historical” interest in “infiltrating law enforcement communities or recruiting law enforcement personnel.” The effort, the memo noted, “can lead to investigative breaches and can jeopardize the safety of law enforcement sources or personnel.” The memo also states that law enforcement had recently become aware of the term “ghost skins,” used among white supremacists to describe “those who avoid overt displays of their beliefs to blend into society and covertly advance white supremacist causes.” In at least one case, the FBI learned of a skinhead group encouraging ghost skins to seek employment with law enforcement agencies in order to warn crews of any investigations.

That report appeared after a series of scandals involving local police and sheriff’s departments. In Los Angeles, for example, a U.S. District Court judge found in 1991 that members of a local sheriff’s department had formed a neo-Nazi gang and habitually terrorized black and Latino residents. In Chicago, Jon Burge, a police detective and rumored KKK member, was fired, and eventually prosecuted in 2008, over charges relating to the torture of at least 120 black men during his decades long career. Burge notoriously referred to an electric shock device he used during interrogations as the “nigger box.” In Cleveland, officials found that a number of police officers had scrawled “racist or Nazi graffiti” throughout their department’s locker rooms. In Texas, two police officers were fired when it was discovered they were Klansmen. One of them said he had tried to boost the organization’s membership by giving an application to a fellow officer he thought shared his “white, Christian, heterosexual values.”

Although the FBI has not publicly addressed the issue of white supremacist infiltration of law enforcement since that 2006 report, in a 2015 speech, FBI Director James Comey made an unprecedented acknowledgment of the role historically played by law enforcement in communities of color: “All of us in law enforcement must be honest enough to acknowledge that much of our history is not pretty.” Comey and the agency have been less forthcoming about that history’s continuation into the present.

In 2009, shortly after the election of Barack*Obama, a Department of Homeland Security intelligence study, written in coordination with the FBI, warned of the “resurgence” of right-wing extremism. “Right-wing extremists have capitalized on the election of the first African-American president, and are focusing their efforts to recruit new members, mobilize existing supporters, and broaden their scope and appeal through propaganda,” the report noted, singling out “disgruntled military veterans” as likely targets of recruitment. “Right-wing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to exploit their skills and knowledge derived from military training and combat.”

The report concluded that “lone wolves and small terrorist cells embracing violent right-wing extremist ideology are the most dangerous domestic terrorism threat in the United States.” Released just ahead of nationwide Tea Party protests, the report caused an uproar among conservatives, who were particularly angered by the suggestion that veterans might be implicated, and by the broad brush with which the report seemed to paint a range of right-wing groups.

---

“For some reason, we have stepped away from the threat of domestic terrorism and right-wing extremism,” Jones continued. “The only way we can reconcile this kind of behavior is if we accept the possibility that the ideology that permeates white nationalists and white supremacists is something that many in our federal and law enforcement communities understand and may be in sympathy with.”

That sympathy might just be reflected by the election of a president who was endorsed and celebrated by the KKK, and who has been reluctant*to disassociate*himself from*individuals espousing white supremacist views.

“This election, for white supremacists, was a signal that ‘We’re on the right track,’” said Simi. “I have never seen anything like it among white supremacists, where they express this feeling of triumph and jubilee. They are just elated about the idea that they feel like they have somebody in the White House who gets it.”
    https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31/...w-enforcement/

Their war has already begun.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-26-2017)

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So silly. He brings that up and bags on Cali so much you might be forgiven for thinking he is blogging from Osceola Iowa and had never been to California at all.

My experience when among California more or less upper crust liberals at their "parties" that they are in fact tolerant, and mixed races, interracial marriages, gay couples, fat white men wearing sari, gurus and all kinds of people, "religions" , etc. Some exceptions and some hypocrisy, but I'll throw out the bath water and not the baby. Hell, I know a couple of white gay males who own a vineyard and I think they are racist (Mostly for voting Trump), but they wouldn't think that they are. So there is some perception issues too.

The point is most vote Democrat, and Democrat policy choices are less racist, less rich guy, less misogynist, less anti immigrant, less anti Muslim than Republicans. Can't know for sure what is in a heart but the votes matter. And a damn sure know when I go to an "upper crust" texas party what a good ole boy is and what he thinks. I'm pretty sure he writes "Muzzies" online and votes for Trump and watches Fox all day long. .