Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: more sources speak of kennedy retirement

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GOD View Post
    The court is not a representative branch of government. It exists only to interpret the constitution. The only reason we have partisan splits is because liberals don't believe in the constitution and try legislating from the bench.

also even though the very visible cases have close splits, usually 90%+ of cases heard end with 9-0 decisions. There was actually a case on free speech recently that had said result
    That's fine in a theoretical world. But whether you want to admit it or not, conservative justices do inflect ideology into their "interpretation" of the constitution. On issues like gay rights & choice in particular, they allow their own ideological positions to guide their decisions. The constitution, more than anything, is about human rights - and too many conservative decisions restrict rights instead of celebrating them.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 34 Times in 32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    That's fine in a theoretical world. But whether you want to admit it or not, conservative justices do inflect ideology into their "interpretation" of the constitution. On issues like gay rights & choice in particular, they allow their own ideological positions to guide their decisions. The constitution, more than anything, is about human rights - and too many conservative decisions restrict rights instead of celebrating them.
    Kennedy doesn't care he's out.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

For the record, I'd be as alarmed by a 6-3 or 7-2 liberal majority as I am by the impending 6-3/7-2 conservative majority.

If the court is an ideological one - and it is - it should reflect America. America is centrist - I'll even concede right-center if it's important to anyone. A lopsided court in either direction works against too many people. In my opinion, the court selection process is a real flaw in our process. It shouldn't be at the whim of a Presidential election - and the Congress should NOT have been able to block Garland, who was a very moderate choice.
    I could get on board with that but for the fact a court stacked with liberals [with their 'living document' theory] effectively renders the constitution meaningless.

In contrast, conservative justices are more apt to be textualists and adhere to it. Granted, that makes it harder for the court to weigh-in on social issues---but it was never meant to in the first place.

That's why we have the legislative branch.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    I could get on board with that but for the fact a court stacked with liberals [with their 'living document' theory] effectively renders the constitution meaningless.

In contrast, conservative justices are more apt to be textualists and adhere to it. Granted, that makes it harder for the court to weigh-in on social issues---but it was never meant to in the first place.

That's why we have the legislative branch.
    I get that argument in general. I was pretty happy w/ the court as it is - Kennedy was a sort of perfect centrist to cast reasonable deciding votes on a whole host of issues. I don't anticipate that we'll ever see that kind of balance again.

I'm ticked about Garland. The whole "Scalia was such an icon that he HAS to be replaced by a staunch conservative" thing was ridiculous. Conservatives won't care about that if Ginsberg has to be replaced. Garland was a reasonable, very moderate choice. They would have gotten their hardcore conservative w/ Kennedy's retirement regardless.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Sjc isn't patty cake thing1...my you have such a childish view of the world. "It's no fair...that's meeeean"

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Sjc isn't patty cake thing1...my you have such a childish view of the world. "It's no fair...that's meeeean"
    Please. You're the biggest snowflake of all - had Democrats done the same thing, you'd be whining like a baby. You do that anyway. You STILL whine about Hillary & Democrats, even though they have no power.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

That is your problem. You believe the Constitution is about human rights. It is not. It is about restricting the power of the federal government. Period.

When we go 6-3 we will get back to that.

I think is hilarious that all of a sudden you don't like how we pick justices. You never once said that when Obama was picking Karan or the spic. That is truly hilarious

8. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.3 For This Post:

Abatis (06-26-2017)

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Please. You're the biggest snowflake of all - had Democrats done the same thing, you'd be whining like a baby. You do that anyway. You STILL whine about Hillary & Democrats, even though they have no power.
    it's not your disagreement I am talking about, it's your childish idea that everyone should play nice and hold hands and share. I get not liking what conservatives are doing. That's not what I am talking about. I am talking about your childish notion that republicans should have just been best friends with the democrats and smiled and danced with rainbows when a centrist garland was nominated. that's not reality. the reality is this is a war and we are going to kick your ass

---

Grind is basically right

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

it's not your disagreement I am talking about, it's your childish idea that everyone should play nice and hold hands and share. I get not liking what conservatives are doing. That's not what I am talking about. I am talking about your childish notion that republicans should have just been best friends with the democrats and smiled and danced with rainbows when a centrist garland was nominated. that's not reality. the reality is this is a war and we are going to kick your ass
    Nah. Progressive thought continues to win regardless. We have conservatives running campaigns on universal healthcare and an entrenched society of entitlement.

You lost while you were crowing about winning.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Liberaland View Post
    That is your problem. You believe the Constitution is about human rights. It is not. It is about restricting the power of the federal government. Period.

When we go 6-3 we will get back to that.

I think is hilarious that all of a sudden you don't like how we pick justices. You never once said that when Obama was picking Karan or the spic. That is truly hilarious
    You brand of conservatism is as big and intrusive as government gets. I don't know how you continue to fool yourself in that respect.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nah. Progressive thought continues to win regardless. We have conservatives running campaigns on universal healthcare and an entrenched society of entitlement.

you're the one currently living a nightmare. not me.

---

Grind is basically right

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

My numbers may be off here but wasn't the Supreme Court recently 7 appt by Repubkicans and 2 by Democrats? And wasn't Roe passed by a majority Republican appt court?

I mean I hope Trump is able to appt more nominees but is it foolish to think outcomes will be any different this time on the court?

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

That is going to be a little hard to argue with. Hmmmmm!

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

It's amazing, but the biggest buffoon to ever hold the highest office might also have the most influence on the court in history.

Such a nightmare.
    If i was a conservative justice and cared at all about an ideological replacement I would get out now while im guaranteed a replacement.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

you're the one currently living a nightmare. not me.
    I'll be fine. Don't go all desh on me & think this represents more than another year or 2.