Members banned from this thread: GazzaQueen

Thread: For Desh & TTQ64 - Housing in Marin County

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default For Desh & TTQ64 - Housing in Marin County

This is from your local (UC)LA Times, no right wing rag. I am honestly curious as to your opinion here. You have one of the wealthiest, whitest and most liberal counties in the state fighting to keep (low income) development out of their communities. Is this ok with you guys?

What housing crisis? Last-minute bill would let wealthy Marin County limit home building

One of California’s wealthiest counties may continue to get a pass under the state’s affordable housing laws.

Lawmakers are considering a measure that would allow parts of Marin County to limit growth more tightly than other regions of California. The provision, inserted last week into a bill connected to the state budget, lets Marin County’s largest cities and unincorporated areas maintain extra restrictions on how many homes developers can build.

Housing advocates say the carve-out runs counter to the push by Gov. Jerry Brown and lawmakers for more development as a way to combat the state’s housing affordability problems.

Since the changes are tied to last week’s passage of the state budget, which Brown has yet to sign, the measure does not have to go through the regular committee process. It’s had just one public hearing and lawmakers could vote on the bill as early as Thursday.

The measure, Assembly Bill 121, is the latest salvo in a lengthy debate about low-income housing in the Northern California county, which has one of the state’s largest gaps between rich and poor.

Following a 2009 investigation by federal housing officials, Marin County supervisors agreed to boost affordable development as a way to desegregate the mostly white region. But neighborhood opposition to low-income housing continued, including a long-stalled 2013 proposal from “Star Wars” creator George Lucas to build hundreds of affordable units on a former dairy farm.

Today, the county’s per capita income of $60,236 is the highest of any county in the state, according to U.S. census figures. But the average renter in Marin County makes just $19.21 an hour and would need to work 77 hours a week to afford a studio apartment at the $1,915-a-month market rate, according to data from the National Low Income Housing Coalition.

The bill came at the request of Assemblyman Marc Levine (D-San Rafael). Levine said his proposal reflects Marin County’s character: Communities there should have buildings that look like those in Santa Rosa and Petaluma rather than those in the larger cities of Oakland and San Francisco.

“If you're standing on the ground there, it's a suburban county and then if you were to hike a couple of miles west, you would see that it is a rural county,” Levine said.

Brown and legislators have been working on a package of bills that aim to increase funding for low-income housing as well as wipe away some of the restrictions local governments put on development. But no significant measure has passed in recent years, frustrating housing advocates.

“In a year where the Legislature has been talking endlessly about the housing crisis in this state and trying to make it easier to build affordable housing and higher-density housing, the one and only thing that comes out of the budget process is a deeply flawed measure that only adds barriers to development in one of the most exclusionary counties in the state,” said Anya Lawler, policy advocate at the Western Center on Law & Poverty.

Levine agrees Marin County has an affordable housing crisis, and argued the bill would actually help make it easier to build.

The budget-related legislation extends a law written by Levine in 2014. The original law allowed the cities of Novato and San Rafael, as well as unincorporated Marin County, to shrink the size of projects they’d allow developers to build to below roughly three stories high. That would be more generous than what other areas of California are allowed under state housing law.

Generally, affordable housing developers need to build larger projects for them to be financially viable. But some affordable housing groups in the region supported Levine’s initial effort because they believed smaller sizes might limit some community opposition.

Beyond that, Levine said, land in the county is very expensive and smaller projects can avoid costs often associated with larger buildings, such as steel construction and underground parking.

Levine’s original law was supposed to expire at the end of 2023. But under AB 121, the lower-density rules would continue for five years after that.

Housing advocates who are against his bill don’t understand how affordable housing can get done in his district, Levine said.

“There are ideologues in housing,” he said. “What I'm most interested in is pragmatic approaches that result in more housing for the people that need it.”

Some who supported Levine’s initial approach now are against AB 121. Michael Lane, policy director for the Non-Profit Housing Assn. of Northern California, said Levine’s new bill doesn’t make sense.

The original law required Novato, San Rafael and Marin County to analyze its effects on affordable construction by 2019. Lane said there is no reason to extend the law’s provisions before knowing whether it has worked.

“It’s way too early,” Lane said. “We don’t understand why this became a priority and why all the other housing issues didn’t.”

At the measure’s hearing before legislators Tuesday, Sen. Jim Nielsen (R-Gerber) criticized the bill, calling out what he said were “hypocritical” communities that don't want to do their part in solving the housing problem. “They love their lifestyles, but don’t bother us with the low-income housing,” Nielsen said of those local residents.

Brown and the legislative leadership typically agree on budget-related bills before they’re introduced. Levine said he was able to get his housing provision into such a bill because “that’s just the way it evolved.”

Spokespeople for Brown, Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (D-Paramount) and Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) either declined to comment or gave no substantive response to the bill.

“It got put in,” said Kevin Liao, a Rendon spokesman. “It’s the nature of the budget negotiations.”

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...621-story.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I understand why you wouldn't respond to this TTQ64

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I understand why you wouldn't respond to this TTQ64
    LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bless your heart or what little heart you have.

OK cawacky, those white racist liberals are keeping poor Black folks from living near that million dollar community, that they can't afford even with low income housing that won't be that low to begin with.

That "trumps"....(pun intended)......all the years of racism that came from the right.

Now are you happy?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bless your heart or what little heart you have.

OK cawacky, those white racist liberals are keeping poor Black folks from living near that million dollar community, that they can't afford even with low income housing that won't be that low to begin with.

That "trumps"....(pun intended)......all the years of racism that came from the right.

Now are you happy?
    I'm not sure what is so funny about the article. You like to talk about historical racism but don't seem all that interested in the here and now. This is a battle happening currently in our state. We are losing many middle class families because they can't afford it or don't want to drive two hours each to and from work to be able to afford a home. Leave race aside, you claim to be a Bernie supporter which I suppose means you are against income inequality yet this is what exacerbates inequality. I guess that is ok with you.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure what is so funny about the article. You like to talk about historical racism but don't seem all that interested in the here and now. This is a battle happening currently in our state. We are losing many middle class families because they can't afford it or don't want to drive two hours each to and from work to be able to afford a home. Leave race aside, you claim to be a Bernie supporter which I suppose means you are against income inequality yet this is what exacerbates inequality. I guess that is ok with you.
    Historical racism? Aint nothing historical about racism. It's still here. front and center.

Wait.......in another thread you said your area was boombing and everyone wanted to live there when the Warriors won the championship, but now people are leaving in droves.......which is it?

The thing is, I don't buy your reasons for why housing is unaffordable, you blame racist liberals and I blame capitalism.

Lets just agree to disagree. I'm getting bored with the topic.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Historical racism? Aint nothing historical about racism. It's still here. front and center.

Wait.......in another thread you said your area was boombing and everyone wanted to live there when the Warriors won the championship, but now people are leaving in droves.......which is it?

The thing is, I don't buy your reasons for why housing is unaffordable, you blame racist liberals and I blame capitalism.

Lets just agree to disagree. I'm getting bored with the topic.
    We have people coming here but the inequality is more extreme. The middle class is leaving and we are getting richer and poorer. Leave out the racist part, these are liberal areas that are not building and the result is poor people and people of color can't live in these areas.

You are free to talk about whatever you please so you can ignore me going forward. But it doesn't take much brain width to say "Trump's great" or "Trump sucks" which is what a majority of these discussions here turn into. This is an actual big issue facing our state. Now granted we aren't in power to fix it on here but it is the purpose of a discussion board...

No it's not sexy to talk about but much of gov't isn't sexy. And it's also about California remaining competitive in the future. Businesses are leaving because their workers can't afford to live here. This issue transcends race.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We have people coming here but the inequality is more extreme. The middle class is leaving and we are getting richer and poorer. Leave out the racist part, these are liberal areas that are not building and the result is poor people and people of color can't live in these areas.

You are free to talk about whatever you please so you can ignore me going forward. But it doesn't take much brain width to say "Trump's great" or "Trump sucks" which is what a majority of these discussions here turn into. This is an actual big issue facing our state. Now granted we aren't in power to fix it on here but it is the purpose of a discussion board...

No it's not sexy to talk about but much of gov't isn't sexy. And it's also about California remaining competitive in the future. Businesses are leaving because their workers can't afford to live here. This issue transcends race.

why do you keep telling me to leave race out of it when you keep saying it's liberals that are keeping Blacks out? That's about race.

Do you really think a 52 year old Black woman from CA is going to believe this is the reason for the housing crises? You can't be this naïve.

Then you start spewing right wing bs about business leaving........

California staying competitive????.......do you know anything about this state other than right wing propaganda?

We are the 6th largest economy in the world......we don't have a problem with staying competitive....we already blow everyone else out of the water. Your scare tactics don't work on me.

Seriously, you really should move because we aren't changing to please any right wingers and you aren't happy here.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

why do you keep telling me to leave race out of it when you keep saying it's liberals that are keeping Blacks out? That's about race.

Do you really think a 52 year old Black woman from CA is going to believe this is the reason for the housing crises? You can't be this naïve.

Then you start spewing right wing bs about business leaving........

California staying competitive????.......do you know anything about this state other than right wing propaganda?

We are the 6th largest economy in the world......we don't have a problem with staying competitive....we already blow everyone else out of the water. Your scare tactics don't work on me.

Seriously, you really should move because we aren't changing to please any right wingers and you aren't happy here.
    Ok, that was my bad. I didn't state that clearly. I meant to say take the claim of racism out of it. The race part is real within the context of who these policies effect most. We'll say it is done without malice though.

Yes we have the sixth largest economy but that doesn't mean we don't face challenges. These issues, housing and cost of living, get discussed in the LA Times, SF Chronicle and Sacramento Bee on a regular basis. They've done interviews with millennials that live in the Bay Area and a fairly large number said they were considering leaving because of the quality of life issues.

The American Dream is to buy a home. Pretty hard for young people to do that when the average home price is $1 million.

Our housing policy is exacerbating economic inequality. In fact it's probably the major driver of it.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm curious why California allows any building at all when they currently don't have enough water for the people who already live there.......

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This is from your local (UC)LA Times, no right wing rag. I am honestly curious as to your opinion here. You have one of the wealthiest, whitest and most liberal counties in the state fighting to keep (low income) development out of their communities. Is this ok with you guys?

What housing crisis? Last-minute bill would let wealthy Marin County limit home building

One of California’s wealthiest counties may continue to get a pass under the state’s affordable housing laws.

Lawmakers are considering a measure that would allow parts of Marin County to limit growth more tightly than other regions of California. The provision, inserted last week into a bill connected to the state budget, lets Marin County’s largest cities and unincorporated areas maintain extra restrictions on how many homes developers can build.

Housing advocates say the carve-out runs counter to the push by Gov. Jerry Brown and lawmakers for more development as a way to combat the state’s housing affordability problems.

Since the changes are tied to last week’s passage of the state budget, which Brown has yet to sign, the measure does not have to go through the regular committee process. It’s had just one public hearing and lawmakers could vote on the bill as early as Thursday.

The measure, Assembly Bill 121, is the latest salvo in a lengthy debate about low-income housing in the Northern California county, which has one of the state’s largest gaps between rich and poor.

Following a 2009 investigation by federal housing officials, Marin County supervisors agreed to boost affordable development as a way to desegregate the mostly white region. But neighborhood opposition to low-income housing continued, including a long-stalled 2013 proposal from “Star Wars” creator George Lucas to build hundreds of affordable units on a former dairy farm.

Today, the county’s per capita income of $60,236 is the highest of any county in the state, according to U.S. census figures. But the average renter in Marin County makes just $19.21 an hour and would need to work 77 hours a week to afford a studio apartment at the $1,915-a-month market rate, according to data from the National Low Income Housing Coalition.

The bill came at the request of Assemblyman Marc Levine (D-San Rafael). Levine said his proposal reflects Marin County’s character: Communities there should have buildings that look like those in Santa Rosa and Petaluma rather than those in the larger cities of Oakland and San Francisco.

“If you're standing on the ground there, it's a suburban county and then if you were to hike a couple of miles west, you would see that it is a rural county,” Levine said.

Brown and legislators have been working on a package of bills that aim to increase funding for low-income housing as well as wipe away some of the restrictions local governments put on development. But no significant measure has passed in recent years, frustrating housing advocates.

“In a year where the Legislature has been talking endlessly about the housing crisis in this state and trying to make it easier to build affordable housing and higher-density housing, the one and only thing that comes out of the budget process is a deeply flawed measure that only adds barriers to development in one of the most exclusionary counties in the state,” said Anya Lawler, policy advocate at the Western Center on Law & Poverty.

Levine agrees Marin County has an affordable housing crisis, and argued the bill would actually help make it easier to build.

The budget-related legislation extends a law written by Levine in 2014. The original law allowed the cities of Novato and San Rafael, as well as unincorporated Marin County, to shrink the size of projects they’d allow developers to build to below roughly three stories high. That would be more generous than what other areas of California are allowed under state housing law.

Generally, affordable housing developers need to build larger projects for them to be financially viable. But some affordable housing groups in the region supported Levine’s initial effort because they believed smaller sizes might limit some community opposition.

Beyond that, Levine said, land in the county is very expensive and smaller projects can avoid costs often associated with larger buildings, such as steel construction and underground parking.

Levine’s original law was supposed to expire at the end of 2023. But under AB 121, the lower-density rules would continue for five years after that.

Housing advocates who are against his bill don’t understand how affordable housing can get done in his district, Levine said.

“There are ideologues in housing,” he said. “What I'm most interested in is pragmatic approaches that result in more housing for the people that need it.”

Some who supported Levine’s initial approach now are against AB 121. Michael Lane, policy director for the Non-Profit Housing Assn. of Northern California, said Levine’s new bill doesn’t make sense.

The original law required Novato, San Rafael and Marin County to analyze its effects on affordable construction by 2019. Lane said there is no reason to extend the law’s provisions before knowing whether it has worked.

“It’s way too early,” Lane said. “We don’t understand why this became a priority and why all the other housing issues didn’t.”

At the measure’s hearing before legislators Tuesday, Sen. Jim Nielsen (R-Gerber) criticized the bill, calling out what he said were “hypocritical” communities that don't want to do their part in solving the housing problem. “They love their lifestyles, but don’t bother us with the low-income housing,” Nielsen said of those local residents.

Brown and the legislative leadership typically agree on budget-related bills before they’re introduced. Levine said he was able to get his housing provision into such a bill because “that’s just the way it evolved.”

Spokespeople for Brown, Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (D-Paramount) and Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) either declined to comment or gave no substantive response to the bill.

“It got put in,” said Kevin Liao, a Rendon spokesman. “It’s the nature of the budget negotiations.”

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...621-story.html

What say you Desh?