Members banned from this thread: evince and Buckly J. Ewer

Thread: Gun Control

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Default Gun Control

Let's finally settle this one. (I know I doubt it too.)

I am a gun owner, however I would support any gun control measures that make sense. That could prevent mass shootings, accidental deaths, etc.

But what are they? So far we get these "half measures" from the left. IE banning "assault rifles," banning high capacity clips, registering all guns, tighter BGCs (Background checks.)

Well if we examine each of these measures, NONE would prevent mass shootings. The whack jobs that carry these out could just use another weapon, reload faster, and most would still have passed "tighter BGCs" considering. In the case of the Newtown killer, none of these would matter since he stole his guns.

So what would work? How about a straight up ban or some kind of sever limitation on sales. It would have to be federal. But since liberals are for open borders, how would they stop guns from illegally coming over the border? This would create a new booming black market for SA cartels. And if the war on drugs tells us anything, black markets are easy to create and hard to control. In other words, even an all out ban wouldn't work.

So with all that out there. What is the lefts "grand plan?" I hear libs on here constantly blaming the NRA/GOP for gun violence. So what is a single measure we could take that would actually stop mass shootings, etc?

I'll wait.
    Keep changing the names. It doesn't change the meaning.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

This is a sort of simplistic thread. For starters, I don't think there is a measure that will "stop" mass shootings. The idea is more to reduce the chance of them, and do what we can to prevent them. But it's a strawman to try to make 100% cessation the crux of the argument.

Also, the idea that "people will just break the law anyway" is silly. It's one that gun proponents bring up a lot, but you could apply that to any law that we have.

I support the right to own guns, but things like registration and background checks are completely reasonable measures that have been shown to both prevent crime & help solve crimes after they're committed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Bill (06-22-2017)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

I'd also add that there isn't one single measure that will accomplish what we want. The measures I listed are reasonable starts, and ones that I don't know why people oppose.

In general, we have a problem w/ the U.S. in terms of promoting a gun culture. This goes from the NRA to the entertainment industry. I believe it is why we have so much gun violence compared to other countries. Guns are literally like a religion in some areas of the country.

Again - I support the right to bear arms. But we really celebrate guns in this country in a way that I find pretty twisted. Not sure there is much we can do about that.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    This is a sort of simplistic thread. For starters, I don't think there is a measure that will "stop" mass shootings. The idea is more to reduce the chance of them, and do what we can to prevent them. But it's a strawman to try to make 100% cessation the crux of the argument.

Also, the idea that "people will just break the law anyway" is silly. It's one that gun proponents bring up a lot, but you could apply that to any law that we have.

I support the right to own guns, but things like registration and background checks are completely reasonable measures that have been shown to both prevent crime & help solve crimes after they're committed.
    Wrong as usual. Just admit you are a gun grabber.

Stop talking about gun control. Your side lost. If shooting six year olds didn't get you what you want nothing will.

That's the fact jack

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

BGCs are already in place. Registration won't do anything to limit or stop mass shootings.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'd also add that there isn't one single measure that will accomplish what we want. The measures I listed are reasonable starts, and ones that I don't know why people oppose.

In general, we have a problem w/ the U.S. in terms of promoting a gun culture. This goes from the NRA to the entertainment industry. I believe it is why we have so much gun violence compared to other countries. Guns are literally like a religion in some areas of the country.

Again - I support the right to bear arms. But we really celebrate guns in this country in a way that I find pretty twisted. Not sure there is much we can do about that.
    Gun culture doesn't cause ppl to go on shooting sprees.

I think you are off base. What these killers want is notoriety. And they get plenty of it, with the corrupt media. Where did he come from, who are his friends, what made him do this??? What we need is a gag order. Never release the killers ID. Take the notoriety away, and it will go away.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health