Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    what part of cali are you in TQ

I'm in the outskirts of LA
    I'm in the IE for now. I think we spoke once before and your not that far from me.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,777 Times in 27,251 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The VRA was created because of cheating by the Democratic Party and not allowing blacks to vote.
    in what year?

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe...2.80.931972.29

Roots of the Southern strategy (1963–1972)[edit]
    The "Year of Birmingham" in 1963 highlighted racial issues in Alabama. Through the spring, there were marches and demonstrations to end legal segregation. The Movement's achievements in settlement with the local business class were overshadowed by bombings and murders by the Ku Klux Klan, most notoriously in the deaths of four girls in the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing.[35]
    After the Democrat George Wallace was elected as Governor of Alabama, he emphasized the connection between states' rights and segregation, both in speeches and by creating crises to provoke Federal intervention. He opposed integration at the University of Alabama, and collaborated with the Ku Klux Klan in 1963 in disrupting court-ordered integration of public schools in Birmingham.[35]

1964 Presidential candidate Barry Goldwater won his home state of Arizona and five states in the Deep South, depicted in red. The Southern states, traditionally Democratic up to that time, voted Republican primarily as a statement of opposition to the Civil Rights Act, which had been passed in Congress earlier that year. Capturing 61.1% of the popular vote and 486 electors, Johnson won in a landslide.
    Many of the states' rights Democrats were attracted to the 1964 presidential campaign of conservative Republican Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona. Goldwater was notably more conservative than previous Republican nominees, such as Dwight D. Eisenhower. Goldwater's principal opponent in the primary election, Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York, was widely seen as representing the more moderate, pro-Civil Rights Act, Northern wing of the party (see Rockefeller Republican, Goldwater Republican).[36]
    In the 1964 presidential campaign, Goldwater ran a conservative campaign that broadly opposed strong action by the federal government. Although he had supported all previous federal civil rights legislation, Goldwater decided to oppose the Civil Rights Act of 1964.[37] He believed that this act was an intrusion of the federal government into the affairs of states and, second, that the Act interfered with the rights of private persons to do business, or not, with whomever they chose, even if the choice is based on racial discrimination.
    Goldwater's position appealed to white Southern Democrats, and Goldwater was the first Republican presidential candidate since Reconstruction to win the electoral votes of the Deep South states (Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina). Outside the South, Goldwater's negative vote on the Civil Rights Act proved devastating to his campaign. The only other state he won was his home one of Arizona, and he suffered a landslide defeat. A Lyndon B. Johnson ad called "Confessions of a Republican", which ran in the North, associated Goldwater with the Ku Klux Klan. At the same time, Johnson’s campaign in the Deep South publicized Goldwater’s support for pre-1964 civil rights legislation. In the end, Johnson swept the election.[38]
    At the time, Goldwater was at odds in his position with most of the prominent members of the Republican Party, dominated by so-called Eastern Establishment and Midwestern Progressives. A higher percentage of the Republican Party supported the Civil Rights Act of 1964[37] than did the Democratic Party, as they had on all previous Civil Rights legislation. The Southern Democrats mostly opposed the Northern Party members—and their presidents (Kennedy and Johnson)—on civil rights issues. At the same time, passage of the Civil Rights Act caused many black voters to join the Democratic Party, which moved the party and its nominees in a progressive direction.[39]

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act_of_1965

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 is a landmark piece of federal legislation in the United States that prohibits racial discrimination in voting.[7][8] It was signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson during the height of the Civil Rights Movement on August 6, 1965, and Congress later amended the Act five times to expand its protections.[7] Designed to enforce the voting rights guaranteed by the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution, the Act secured voting rights for racial minorities throughout the country, especially in the South. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, the Act is considered to be the most effective piece of civil rights legislation ever enacted in the country.[9]
    The Act contains numerous provisions that regulate election administration. The Act's "general provisions" provide nationwide protections for voting rights. Section 2 is a general provision that prohibits every state and local government from imposing any voting law that results in discrimination against racial or language minorities. Other general provisions specifically outlaw literacy tests and similar devices that were historically used to disenfranchise racial minorities.
    The Act also contains "special provisions" that apply to only certain jurisdictions. A core special provision is the Section 5 preclearance requirement, which prohibits certain jurisdictions from implementing any change affecting voting without receiving preapproval from the U.S. Attorney General or the U.S. District Court for D.C. that the change does not discriminate against protected minorities.[10] Another special provision requires jurisdictions containing significant language minority populations to provide bilingual ballots and other election materials.
    Section 5 and most other special provisions apply to jurisdictions encompassed by the "coverage formula" prescribed in Section 4(b). The coverage formula was originally designed to encompass jurisdictions that engaged in egregious voting discrimination in 1965, and Congress updated the formula in 1970 and 1975. In Shelby County v. Holder (2013), the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the coverage formula as unconstitutional, reasoning that it was no longer responsive to current conditions.[11] The Court did not strike down Section 5, but without a coverage formula, Section 5 is unenforceable.[12]
    post 22

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The VRA was created because of cheating by the Democratic Party and not allowing blacks to vote.
    Oh you mean cheating, beating, killing and stopping Blacks from voting because racist white men from the right knew they would lose? They knew Blacks or women on the left wouldn't vote for their hateful ways.

See, we can agree. This might be the beginning of a new relationship.

You are finally admitting racist white men are the reason for implementing the Voting Rights Acts.

I'm proud of you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

evince (06-22-2017)

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    I'm in the IE for now. I think we spoke once before and your not that far from me.
    Ontario

I love this old Orange grove town

sorry I didn't remember

IE west is awesome

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 34 Times in 32 Posts

Oh you mean cheating, beating, killing and stopping Blacks from voting because racist white men from the right knew they would lose? They knew Blacks or women on the left wouldn't vote for their hateful ways.

See, we can agree. This might be the beginning of a new relationship.

You are finally admitting racist white men are the reason for implementing the Voting Rights Acts.

I'm proud of you.
    Calm down, Weezy. You do realize you're claiming a small number of racist white men are holding down your weaker people.

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

in what year?
    LMAOOOOOOOO

He thinks were as dumb as those in his party.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

evince (06-22-2017)

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GazzaQueen View Post
    Calm down, Weezy. You do realize you're claiming a small number of racist white men are holding down your weaker people.
    cheating isn't being stronger you bag of weasel jizz

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 34 Times in 32 Posts

cheating isn't being stronger you bag of weasel jizz
    How is it black Americans allow these racist white men to cheat them and hold them down.

13. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

LMAOOOOOOOO

He thinks were as dumb as those in his party.
    I guess I am dumb if I assumed people would know what year such major legislation was passed. My bad.

14. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ontario

I love this old Orange grove town

sorry I didn't remember

IE west is awesome
    Yes, it is nice. I'll be moving soon, my husband is retiring from the Military (thank gawd), and I doubt we stay in this area.

We'll probably head south to Oceanside.........now that's a beautiful place.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-22-2017)

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,261 Times in 33,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,089 Times in 4,704 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, it is nice. I'll be moving soon, my husband is retiring from the Military (thank gawd), and I doubt we stay in this area.

We'll probably head south to Oceanside.........now that's a beautiful place.
    It is very beautiful there! Congrats.

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

18. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I guess I am dumb if I assumed people would know what year such major legislation was passed. My bad.
    I mean how you think by saying it's the dems who were racist, we would actually believe it's todays dems.

You make yourself look pretty coo coo when you use that ignorant argument.