Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayor Removes rump & pence picts from Town Hall, ‘Our Respect Is Earned, Not Demanded

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Mayor Removes rump & pence picts from Town Hall, ‘Our Respect Is Earned, Not Demanded

COMMENTS
    In a move that some consider provocative, the Mayor of Jackson, Wyoming has removed portraits of both President Donald Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence from where they hung in the Jackson Town Hall.

The Washington Post reports that in their place now hangs a portrait of the Native American Chief Washakie.

The Mayor’s name is Pete Muldoon, and he took office on January 1 of this year. Though he has described President Trump as “divisive,” he says removing the portraits was not a politically-motivated decision, saying he would have removed portraits of Barack Obama as well.

In an official statement, Muldoon made his justification clear: “We aren’t required to display signs of respect — our respect is earned, not demanded. Dictators like Joseph Stalin required their portraits to be displayed everywhere. Luckily, we do not live in a dictatorship. We can choose who we honor.”

According to The Post, Muldoon explained that his non-partisan government should avoid outwardly advocating for a particular party. He says that belief applies to both Republicans and Democrats, “We all have our own political views, but I don’t think the town should be promoting one over another. And we do that when we place a politician’s picture up.”

The move has stirred quite the controversy in the small town, with Republicans crying partisan foul.

COMMENTS
    In a move that some consider provocative, the Mayor of Jackson, Wyoming has removed portraits of both President Donald Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence from where they hung in the Jackson Town Hall.

The Washington Post reports that in their place now hangs a portrait of the Native American Chief Washakie.

The Mayor’s name is Pete Muldoon, and he took office on January 1 of this year. Though he has described President Trump as “divisive,” he says removing the portraits was not a politically-motivated decision, saying he would have removed portraits of Barack Obama as well.

In an official statement, Muldoon made his justification clear: “We aren’t required to display signs of respect — our respect is earned, not demanded. Dictators like Joseph Stalin required their portraits to be displayed everywhere. Luckily, we do not live in a dictatorship. We can choose who we honor.”

According to The Post, Muldoon explained that his non-partisan government should avoid outwardly advocating for a particular party. He says that belief applies to both Republicans and Democrats, “We all have our own political views, but I don’t think the town should be promoting one over another. And we do that when we place a politician’s picture up.”

The move has stirred quite the controversy in the small town, with Republicans crying partisan foul.

Here is Muldoon’s statement in full:

I want to to address the controversy over my decision to remove President Trump’s portrait from the wall at Town Hall.

Let’s start with acknowledging a few basic facts.

First, Donald Trump is our president, and he’s president because he won the election under the rules we have in place.

Second, our town government is a non-partisan body. We do not work for the federal government, and there is no requirement to have a picture of the president displayed at Town Hall. Citizens are free to display pictures of whomever they choose at their own homes and businesses, but the idea that we are required to display a portrait of the president at Town Hall is simply not true.

There’s a tradition of hanging portraits of the president in federal offices within the executive branch – not unlike how grocery stores display pictures of the manager. It illustrates the chain of command for that branch of government. But the Town of Jackson is not in the president’s chain of command.

Since it’s not a requirement, the only two reasons I can see for displaying the portrait would be for educational purposes or to honor Donald Trump.

I see no educational value in such a display. Everyone knows who the president is, and while displaying a chart showing the three separate but equal branches of government and their relationship to state and local governments would actually provide a useful civics lesson, a portrait of the president does not.

There has been an argument made that we should respect the office of the president, if not the president himself. Fair enough – but there are two other equal branches of government, and no one seems particularly interested in displaying portraits of the Speaker of the House or the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

This leaves us with the portrait as an honor. Donald Trump is an extremely divisive figure. Whether you agree with his opinions or not, it’s undeniably true that many residents intensely dislike him, and find his political views odious. Our previous president, whether deserved or not, evoked a similar response from some residents.

When the Town Of Jackson decides to honor such a divisive person, it is taking sides against some of its residents. The Town Council has made no such decision, and until and unless it does, that kind of honor will not be bestowed. I don’t know who put up the portrait of Trump, but it was not authorized by myself or the Council.

If Barack Obama was still president, I would make the same decision. There was a picture of Obama at Town Hall, and it was put up before I was elected mayor. I don’t believe it should have been displayed either. So I’ll be replacing presidential portraits with an organizational chart of federal, state and local government, which will make clear that the citizens, through Congress, are sovereign and create policies which the Supreme Court ensures are consistent with our Constitution and are subsequently executed by the president. And while the president does have additional powers granted by the Constitution, the Constitution itself is controlled by the people.

The United States is a constitutional republic. We don’t have a monarch, and one of the best features of our system is that presidents are people just like everyone else. We aren’t required to display signs of respect – our respect is earned, not demanded. Dictators like Joseph Stalin required their portraits to be displayed everywhere. Luckily, we do not live in a dictatorship. We can choose who we honor, and in my role as a representative of all town residents, I’ve decided that the Town of Jackson will not take sides by honoring any partisan politician and will continue to focus on the needs of all members of our community.

Pete Muldoon
    Mayor of Jackson, WY
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

he doesn't like partisan politics......I expect he'll run for re-election as an independent instead of as a demmycrat......

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

COMMENTS

COMMENTS

Here is Muldoon’s statement in full:

I want to to address the controversy over my decision to remove President Trump’s portrait from the wall at Town Hall.

Let’s start with acknowledging a few basic facts.

First, Donald Trump is our president, and he’s president because he won the election under the rules we have in place.

Second, our town government is a non-partisan body. We do not work for the federal government, and there is no requirement to have a picture of the president displayed at Town Hall. Citizens are free to display pictures of whomever they choose at their own homes and businesses, but the idea that we are required to display a portrait of the president at Town Hall is simply not true.

There’s a tradition of hanging portraits of the president in federal offices within the executive branch – not unlike how grocery stores display pictures of the manager. It illustrates the chain of command for that branch of government. But the Town of Jackson is not in the president’s chain of command.

Since it’s not a requirement, the only two reasons I can see for displaying the portrait would be for educational purposes or to honor Donald Trump.

I see no educational value in such a display. Everyone knows who the president is, and while displaying a chart showing the three separate but equal branches of government and their relationship to state and local governments would actually provide a useful civics lesson, a portrait of the president does not.

There has been an argument made that we should respect the office of the president, if not the president himself. Fair enough – but there are two other equal branches of government, and no one seems particularly interested in displaying portraits of the Speaker of the House or the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

This leaves us with the portrait as an honor. Donald Trump is an extremely divisive figure. Whether you agree with his opinions or not, it’s undeniably true that many residents intensely dislike him, and find his political views odious. Our previous president, whether deserved or not, evoked a similar response from some residents.

When the Town Of Jackson decides to honor such a divisive person, it is taking sides against some of its residents. The Town Council has made no such decision, and until and unless it does, that kind of honor will not be bestowed. I don’t know who put up the portrait of Trump, but it was not authorized by myself or the Council.

If Barack Obama was still president, I would make the same decision. There was a picture of Obama at Town Hall, and it was put up before I was elected mayor. I don’t believe it should have been displayed either. So I’ll be replacing presidential portraits with an organizational chart of federal, state and local government, which will make clear that the citizens, through Congress, are sovereign and create policies which the Supreme Court ensures are consistent with our Constitution and are subsequently executed by the president. And while the president does have additional powers granted by the Constitution, the Constitution itself is controlled by the people.

The United States is a constitutional republic. We don’t have a monarch, and one of the best features of our system is that presidents are people just like everyone else. We aren’t required to display signs of respect – our respect is earned, not demanded. Dictators like Joseph Stalin required their portraits to be displayed everywhere. Luckily, we do not live in a dictatorship. We can choose who we honor, and in my role as a representative of all town residents, I’ve decided that the Town of Jackson will not take sides by honoring any partisan politician and will continue to focus on the needs of all members of our community.

Pete Muldoon
    Mayor of Jackson, WY
    Stated "he would have removed portraits of Barack Obama as well". That's a pussy's claim. Saying you WOULD have done something when there is no way to prove your claim.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

They will be removed from a lot of places...including the white house...
    USFREEDOM911 Expresses one of his homosexual prison rape fantasies;
    Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    he may be getting several boners, they just won't be his.
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

I would kill someone who didn't pay me, after I give them a blowjob.
    Does that make me insane?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    I can't see this move earning him long tenure in a town in Wyoming...
    Wyoming has had it' "lib" moments, you should check that out.
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

You don't have "lib" moments. You have POS libs.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

nah.....just conservative moments you will pretend are liberal........

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 37 Times in 35 Posts

Actions have consequences. One must respect the office, not the one holding the office, but some are too stupid to understand that.
    I didn't vote for Hillary or Donald, but the elections are over and we have to move on, respect the will of those who elected the current administration and look toward the next election.
    Until then, D. Trump is our President, just as H. Clinton would have been Madame President and B. Obama has been Mr. President.
    Small little minds might beg to differ.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    Actions have consequences. One must respect the office, not the one holding the office, but some are too stupid to understand that.
    I didn't vote for Hillary or Donald, but the elections are over and we have to move on, respect the will of those who elected the current administration and look toward the next election.
    Until then, D. Trump is our President, just as H. Clinton would have been Madame President and B. Obama has been Mr. President.
    Small little minds might beg to differ.
    A felonious president will not be president for long...
    Respect that...
    "You got shot in the balls and you're still walking!! Then this probably won't hurt you at all (as he unzips his pants)."

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Buckly J. Ewer View Post
    A felonious president will not be president for long...
    Respect that...
    Of course your opinion is gospel. Until he is found guilty and is removed from office, he IS Mr. President, however much that might hurt. Of course for those who can't accept the innocent until proven guilty approach, lets hope that you will never be accused of something, and might get locked you up because someone thinks that is what should happen.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    Of course your opinion is gospel. Until he is found guilty and is removed from office, he IS Mr. President, however much that might hurt. Of course for those who can't accept the innocent until proven guilty approach, lets hope that you will never be accused of something, and might get locked you up because someone thinks that is what should happen.
    We know what he did and he will be gone.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    nah.....just conservative moments you will pretend are liberal........
    Though the Washington bill was narrowly defeated, similar legislation succeeded elsewhere, and Wyoming Territory was the first to give women the vote in 1869, quickly followed by Utah Territory (1870) and Washington Territory (1883). As with Wyoming, when these territories became states they preserved women's suffrage

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Buckly J. Ewer View Post
    We know what he did and he will be gone.
    Just like you knew that the queen would be coronated. Yeah, I'll take your word for that. Thus far I have heard nothing but lies from both sides, so excuse me for waiting until we know for sure.
    Conservatives had their utterly despicable moments when Obama was elected, hoped he would be removed and came up with all kind of nonsense to oust him. This is like the birther movement all over again, and you look like the fools for it.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Though the Washington bill was narrowly defeated, similar legislation succeeded elsewhere, and Wyoming Territory was the first to give women the vote in 1869, quickly followed by Utah Territory (1870) and Washington Territory (1883). As with Wyoming, when these territories became states they preserved women's suffrage
    I know......Republicans were giving the women the vote while Democrats were still whining about losing their slaves.......