Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trump and Totalitarianism

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Liberaland View Post
    I don't believe you actually read these books.

BTW, I can't censor you. Just because you repeat it over and over again doesn't make it true
    LOL so the quote and page came from where? Think, stop engaging in ad hominem.

Censorship: Members banned from this thread: midcan5

"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information that may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions."

And stop wasting our time with non answers, you sound like a child. Address the topic, I should censor you as you add nothing of substance.

Back on Topic:

"The simple picture Trump is trying to convey is that there is wild disorder, because of American citizens of African-American descent, and immigrants. He is doing it as a display of strength, showing he is able to define reality and lead others to accept his authoritarian value system.

The chief authoritarian values are law and order. In Trump’s value system, nonwhites and non-Christians are the chief threats to law and order. Trump knows that reality does not call for a value-system like his; violent crime is at almost historic lows in the United States. Trump is thundering about a crime wave of historic proportions, because he is an authoritarian using his speech to define a simple reality that legitimates his value system, leading voters to adopt it. Its strength is that it conveys his power to define reality. Its weakness is that it obviously contradicts it." Jason Stanley https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/05/o...n-reality.html
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    LOL so the quote and page came from where? Think, stop engaging in ad hominem.

Censorship: Members banned from this thread: midcan5

"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information that may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions."

And stop wasting our time with non answers, you sound like a child. Address the topic, I should censor you as you add nothing of substance.

Back on Topic:

"The simple picture Trump is trying to convey is that there is wild disorder, because of American citizens of African-American descent, and immigrants. He is doing it as a display of strength, showing he is able to define reality and lead others to accept his authoritarian value system.

The chief authoritarian values are law and order. In Trump’s value system, nonwhites and non-Christians are the chief threats to law and order. Trump knows that reality does not call for a value-system like his; violent crime is at almost historic lows in the United States. Trump is thundering about a crime wave of historic proportions, because he is an authoritarian using his speech to define a simple reality that legitimates his value system, leading voters to adopt it. Its strength is that it conveys his power to define reality. Its weakness is that it obviously contradicts it." Jason Stanley https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/05/o...n-reality.html

The very definition you use PROVES me right and you wrong. I cannot censor you.

Am I the government? No
    Am I a media outlet? No
    Am I in a position of authority over you? No
    Am I a group? No
    Am I an institution? No

I am an individual. No where in the definition you took the time to produce indicates that an INDIVIDUAL can censor another individual. All of those that are listed have one thing in common. In some way or another they are in a position of power over another individual. I do not fulfill that requirement.

I will humbly accept your apology. Please feel free to post a link to yet another obscure quote and book you haven't read trying to prove a nonexistent point

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The very definition you use PROVES me right and you wrong. I cannot censor you.

Am I the government? No
    Am I a media outlet? No
    Am I in a position of authority over you? No
    Am I a group? No
    Am I an institution? No

I am an individual. No where in the definition you took the time to produce indicates that an INDIVIDUAL can censor another individual. All of those that are listed have one thing in common. In some way or another they are in a position of power over another individual. I do not fulfill that requirement.

I will humbly accept your apology. Please feel free to post a link to yet another obscure quote and book you haven't read trying to prove a nonexistent point
    You are a member of a group JPP and you censor. "Censorship, the suppression of words, images, or ideas that are "offensive," happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political or moral values on others." You are also are in a position of authority in that as a member of JPP the mods have allowed you the permission to censor. You can play with words all you like, but when you suppress speech you censor. Stop censoring people on JPP and we'll stop calling you what you demonstrate by your actions. When you allow freedom of speech for all you'll cease being a censor. You can hide all you want but your actions speak for you.

Even the dictionary is clear: censor- any person who controls or suppresses the behavior of others, usually on moral grounds.

And again you filling a thread with your off topic nonsense, but in America we are free to speak our mind and calling you out is kinda fun.
    Last edited by midcan5; 06-17-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are a member of a group JPP and you censor. "Censorship, the suppression of words, images, or ideas that are "offensive," happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political or moral values on others." You are also are in a position of authority in that as a member of JPP the mods have allowed you the permission to censor. You can play with words all you like, but when you suppress speech you censor. Stop censoring people on JPP and we'll stop calling you what you demonstrate by your actions. When you allow freedom of speech for all you'll cease being a censor. You can hide all you want but your actions speak for you.

Even the dictionary is clear: censor- any person who controls or suppresses the behavior of others, usually on moral grounds.

And again you filling a thread with your off topic nonsense, but in America we are free to speak our mind and calling you out is kinda fun.
    If I could truly censor you here, you wouldn't be able to post at all. But yet here you are posting your opinions. I have not stopped from posting on anything you want to talk about nor can I.

Case closed. You lose again.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

On topic, it is interesting the way language is used in America today, the destruction of Hillary Clinton and bombast of Donald Trump are key examples. A book I quoted above gives twenty lessons on recognizing tyranny, a section from number 9 is quoted below.

# 9 Be kind to our language. "Avoid pronouncing the phrases everyone else does. Think up your own way of speaking, even if only to convey that, thing you think everyone is saying. Make an effort to separate yourself from the internet. Read books."

"Victor Klemperer, a literary scholar of Jewish origin, turned his philological training against Nazi propaganda. He noticed how Hitler's language rejected legitimate opposition: The people always meant some people and not others (the president [Trump] uses the word in this way), encounters were always struggles (the president says winning), and any attempt by free people to understand the world in a different way was defamation of the leader (or, as the president puts it, libel).

Politicians in our times feed their cliches to television, where even those who wish to disagree repeat them. Television purports to challenge political language by conveying images, but the succession from one frame to another can hinder a sense of resolution. Everything happens fast, but nothing actually happens. Each story on televised news is "breaking" until it is displaced by the next one. So we are hit by wave upon wave but never see the ocean.

The effort to define the shape and significance of events requires words and concepts that elude us when we are entranced by visual stimuli. Watching televised news is sometimes little more than looking at someone who is also looking at a picture. We take this collective trance to be normal. We have slowly fallen into it.

More than half a century ago, the classic novels of totalitarianism warned of the domination of screens, the suppression of books, the narrowing of vocabularies, and the associated difficulties of thought. In Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, published in 1953, firemen find and burn books while most citizens watch interactive television. In George Orwel1's 1984, published in 1949, books are banned and television is two-way, allowing the government to observe citizens at all times. In 1984, the language of visual media is highly constrained, to starve the public of the concepts needed to think about the present, remember the past, and consider the future. One of the regime's projects is to limit the language further by eliminating ever more words with each edition of the official dictionary." page 60-61 'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder

"History shows that there is nothing so easy to enslave and nothing so hard to emancipate as ignorance, hence it becomes the double enemy of civilization. By its servility it is the prey of tyranny, and by its credulity it is the foe of enlightenment." Lemuel K. Washburn

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

On topic, it is interesting the way language is used in America today, the destruction of Hillary Clinton and bombast of Donald Trump are key examples. A book I quoted above gives twenty lessons on recognizing tyranny, a section from number 9 is quoted below.

# 9 Be kind to our language. "Avoid pronouncing the phrases everyone else does. Think up your own way of speaking, even if only to convey that, thing you think everyone is saying. Make an effort to separate yourself from the internet. Read books."

"Victor Klemperer, a literary scholar of Jewish origin, turned his philological training against Nazi propaganda. He noticed how Hitler's language rejected legitimate opposition: The people always meant some people and not others (the president [Trump] uses the word in this way), encounters were always struggles (the president says winning), and any attempt by free people to understand the world in a different way was defamation of the leader (or, as the president puts it, libel).

Politicians in our times feed their cliches to television, where even those who wish to disagree repeat them. Television purports to challenge political language by conveying images, but the succession from one frame to another can hinder a sense of resolution. Everything happens fast, but nothing actually happens. Each story on televised news is "breaking" until it is displaced by the next one. So we are hit by wave upon wave but never see the ocean.

The effort to define the shape and significance of events requires words and concepts that elude us when we are entranced by visual stimuli. Watching televised news is sometimes little more than looking at someone who is also looking at a picture. We take this collective trance to be normal. We have slowly fallen into it.

More than half a century ago, the classic novels of totalitarianism warned of the domination of screens, the suppression of books, the narrowing of vocabularies, and the associated difficulties of thought. In Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, published in 1953, firemen find and burn books while most citizens watch interactive television. In George Orwel1's 1984, published in 1949, books are banned and television is two-way, allowing the government to observe citizens at all times. In 1984, the language of visual media is highly constrained, to starve the public of the concepts needed to think about the present, remember the past, and consider the future. One of the regime's projects is to limit the language further by eliminating ever more words with each edition of the official dictionary." page 60-61 'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder

"History shows that there is nothing so easy to enslave and nothing so hard to emancipate as ignorance, hence it becomes the double enemy of civilization. By its servility it is the prey of tyranny, and by its credulity it is the foe of enlightenment." Lemuel K. Washburn
    Ever hear of lackoff?

The democrat party are the kings of changing language

One day it is global cooling. That fails and we get global warming. That fails and we get climate change

Abortion isn't baby killing anymore its choice

I could go on, but you get the point

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ever hear of lackoff?

The democrat party are the kings of changing language

One day it is global cooling. That fails and we get global warming. That fails and we get climate change

Abortion isn't baby killing anymore its choice

I could go on, but you get the point
    It is still global warming and baby killing is your words. No one says that as killing babies is a crime. Women are the only ones who can make those decisions on whether to conceive or not. Government control is hardly freedom and in line with fascist thought.

"Abolition of a woman's right to abortion, when and if she wants it, amounts to compulsory maternity: a form of rape by the State." Edward Abbey

"Thirty-one percent of all conceptions end in miscarriage, usually in the early months of pregnancy and often before women even know they are pregnant, according to a new study." Source NYT