Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump and Totalitarianism

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Default Trump and Totalitarianism

"Movements thrive on the destruction of reality. Because the real world confronts us with challenges and obstructions, reality is uncertain, messy, and unsettling. Movements work to create alternate realities that offer adherents a stable and empowering place in the world." (link below)

The OP below is an excellent piece on Trump's person. Trump followers beware you may gain some insight which is confusing and extremely rare in the fearful follower's mind.

http://lithub.com/rebecca-solnit-the...-donald-trump/

"The reason fact-checking is ineffective today — at least in convincing those who are members of movements — is that the mobilized members of a movement are confounded by a world resistant to their wishes and prefer the promise of a consistent alternate world to reality. When Donald Trump says he’s going to build a wall to protect our borders, he is not making a factual statement that an actual wall will actually protect our borders; he is signaling a politically incorrect willingness to put America first. When he says that there was massive voter fraud or boasts about the size of his inauguration crowd, he is not speaking about actual facts, but is insisting that his election was legitimate. “What convinces masses are not facts, and not even invented facts, but only the consistency of the system of which they are presumably part.”

[..]

"What Arendt shows in Origins is that movements are so dangerous and can be central elements of totalitarianism because they provide the psychological conditions for “total loyalty,” the kind of unquestioned loyalty Trump rightly understands himself to possess among his most faithful supporters. “Such loyalty,” she writes, “can be expected only from the completely isolated human being who, without any other social ties to family, friends, comrades, or even mere acquaintances, derives his sense of having a place in the world only from his belonging to a movement.”

"Simone Weil wrote that “to be rooted is perhaps the most important and least recognized need of the human soul.” The modern condition of rootlessness is a foundational experience of totalitarianism; totalitarian movements succeed when they offer rootless people what they most crave: an ideologically consistent world aiming at grand narratives that give meaning to their lives. By consistently repeating a few key ideas, a manipulative leader provides a sense of rootedness grounded upon a coherent fiction that is “consistent, comprehensible, and predictable.”

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/...talitarianism/

And

https://onbeing.org/programs/lyndsey...rendt-for-now/

https://www.juancole.com/2017/06/wat...ump-voter.html

Must Reading: 'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder

'The Trouble with Reality: A Rumination on Moral Panic in Our Time' by Brooke Gladstone

"The supreme mystery of despotism, its prop and stay, is to keep men in a state of deception, and with the specious title of religion to cloak the fear by which they must be held in check, so that they will fight for their servitude as if for salvation." Baruch Spinoza
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 234 Times in 225 Posts

So you think Trump is going to turn us into he former Soviet Union? Really?

Can you please elucidate which of your freedoms you have lost since Trump assumed office?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Liberaland View Post
    So you think Trump is going to turn us into he former Soviet Union? Really?

Can you please elucidate which of your freedoms you have lost since Trump assumed office?
    Russia was communist not totalitarian, at least it was communist in name. Totalitarian came from Italy in 1920, and it is similar to Trump's call to make America great again. It is extreme nationalism in a word. Lots of words get bandied about but mean little. Trump has only been in office four months, during that time he has tried to deny freedom to many. These conversations are not always about me or you, they are bigger than us. I suggest you read Arendt if you are interested and a shorter explanation is 'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder.

"The supreme mystery of despotism, its prop and stay, is to keep men in a state of deception, and with the specious title of religion to cloak the fear by which they must be held in check, so that they will fight for their servitude as if for salvation." Baruch Spinoza
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Russia was communist not totalitarian, at least it was communist in name. Totalitarian came from Italy in 1920, and it is similar to Trump's call to make America great again. It is extreme nationalism in a word. Lots of words get bandied about but mean little. Trump has only been in office four months, during that time he has tried to deny freedom to many. These conversations are not always about me or you, they are bigger than us. I suggest you read Arendt if you are interested and a shorter explanation is 'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder.

It is kind of stunning the you think the Soviet Union wasn't totalitarian.

OK so we have established that YOUR freedoms haven't been curtailed. Tell me whose freedoms have been curtailed?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is kind of stunning the you think the Soviet Union wasn't totalitarian.

OK so we have established that YOUR freedoms haven't been curtailed. Tell me whose freedoms have been curtailed?
    Regarding Russia check out Stalinism. Totalitarians want control and they want loyal followers, in a another word blind followers. Yesterday you saw republican bow to their leader, a sight most Americans cannot even imagine. When you blindly obey you lose your freedom. Trump's cabinet and inner circle have relinquished the freedom that comes with being an American.

While the courts have rightly overturned Trump's unconstitutional ban on travel, that has had consequences. Immigrant families residing in America are also fearful and while some entered without permissions only one nationality is being targeted. Freedom of the press has been challenged repeatedly, and the biggest loss of freedom is to those American who have healthcare under the ACA. The destruction of an Act that has passed SCOTUS as law is a disgrace and for Trump a reversal of an election promise. This administration has just begun. More to follow should government bow down to Trumpism and the corporate conservative complex.

Another example of loss, the air you breath you sites you want to see. https://www.nrdc.org/trump-watch

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

Regarding Russia check out Stalinism. Totalitarians want control and they want loyal followers, in a another word blind followers. Yesterday you saw republican bow to their leader, a sight most Americans cannot even imagine. When you blindly obey you lose your freedom. Trump's cabinet and inner circle have relinquished the freedom that comes with being an American.

While the courts have rightly overturned Trump's unconstitutional ban on travel, that has had consequences. Immigrant families residing in America are also fearful and while some entered without permissions only one nationality is being targeted. Freedom of the press has been challenged repeatedly, and the biggest loss of freedom is to those American who have healthcare under the ACA. The destruction of an Act that has passed SCOTUS as law is a disgrace and for Trump a reversal of an election promise. This administration has just begun. More to follow should government bow down to Trumpism and the corporate conservative complex.

Another example of loss, the air you breath you sites you want to see. https://www.nrdc.org/trump-watch
    I didn't see the cabinet meeting everyone is all a dither over so I can't comment

Healthcare is not a right

Illegal immigrants don't have a right to come here

Do you have anything that aren't made up rights?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 37 Times in 35 Posts

Many see Trump as the person who could bring back some sense of law and order. If some call that totalitarian, so be it. I think that people are just tired of being overrun by illegals, by threats from rogue regimes and terrorists, not to mention the deep seated DC politicians who take their job for granted.
    So they elected someone who thinks outside the box.
    We should listen to why Trump got elected, seek out the cause of the disease, instead of finding new ways of bitching about the symptoms.

Edit...Bernie fan, so read what I wrote carefully instead of jumping to conclusions.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    I didn't see the cabinet meeting everyone is all a dither over so I can't comment

Healthcare is not a right

Illegal immigrants don't have a right to come here

Do you have anything that aren't made up rights?
    All rights are made up, I think I have said that before. They are social constructs and as such determined by us. According to our Preamble promoting the welfare constitutes something and something for many Americans is healthcare. And immigrants have a right to come here, and foreigners have a right to travel here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    Many see Trump as the person who could bring back some sense of law and order. If some call that totalitarian, so be it. I think that people are just tired of being overrun by illegals, by threats from rogue regimes and terrorists, not to mention the deep seated DC politicians who take their job for granted.
    So they elected someone who thinks outside the box.
    We should listen to why Trump got elected, seek out the cause of the disease, instead of finding new ways of bitching about the symptoms.

Edit...Bernie fan, so read what I wrote carefully instead of jumping to conclusions.
    I lost all respect for Sanders when he started to parrot the right wing republicans on Hillary's honesty and transparency. If you'd like to know why, consult 'The Destruction of Hillary Clinton' by Susan Bordo.

Sanders and his blind followers are part of the reason we have a narcissistic moron as president.

"We live in a society in which spurious realities are manufactured by the media, by governments, by big corporations, by religious groups, political groups. I ask, in my writing, 'What is real?' Because unceasingly we are bombarded with pseudo realities manufactured by very sophisticated people using very sophisticated electronic mechanisms." Philip K. Dick

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

All rights are made up, I think I have said that before. They are social constructs and as such determined by us. According to our Preamble promoting the welfare constitutes something and something for many Americans is healthcare. And immigrants have a right to come here, and foreigners have a right to travel here.

I lost all respect for Sanders when he started to parrot the right wing republicans on Hillary's honesty and transparency. If you'd like to know why, consult 'The Destruction of Hillary Clinton' by Susan Bordo.

Sanders and his blind followers are part of the reason we have a narcissistic moron as president.

"We live in a society in which spurious realities are manufactured by the media, by governments, by big corporations, by religious groups, political groups. I ask, in my writing, 'What is real?' Because unceasingly we are bombarded with pseudo realities manufactured by very sophisticated people using very sophisticated electronic mechanisms." Philip K. Dick

It is clear that you do not understand what a right is. I am still waiting on you to debate me about censorship. Come on. Whatcha waitin for?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is clear that you do not understand what a right is. I am still waiting on you to debate me about censorship. Come on. Whatcha waitin for?
    A right is a social construct that has to be obvious. Tell me what you think a right is?

"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information that may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions."

Kinda simple don't you think.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A right is a social construct that has to be obvious. Tell me what you think a right is?

"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information that may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions."

Kinda simple don't you think.

Still waiting to debate censorship with you. You can't complain about being thread banned when given the opportunity to debate me one on one you run away.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Still waiting to debate censorship with you. You can't complain about being thread banned when given the opportunity to debate me one on one you run away.
    I've already answered and so long as I am constantly censored I'll remain a freedom loving American. Play fair and I'll play, censor and you can talk to yourself till doomsday.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I've already answered and so long as I am constantly censored I'll remain a freedom loving American. Play fair and I'll play, censor and you can talk to yourself till doomsday.
    You had your chance. Good day

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You had your chance. Good day
    My point stands, thanks, I'm glad you finally agree that you censor and your recent threads once again confirm that fact.

On Topic:

Trump's rallies were examples of the inroads of totalitarianism today. Quote below from a must read book.

"Because the American federal government uses mercenaries in warfare and American state governments pay corporations to run prisons, the use of violence in the United States is already highly privatized. What is novel is a president who wishes to maintain, while in office, a personal security force which during his campaign used force against dissenters. As a candidate, the president ordered a private security detail to clear opponents from rallies, but also encouraged the audience itself to remove people who expressed different opinions. A protester would first be greeted with boos, then with frenetic cries of "USA," and then be forced to leave the rally. At one campaign rally the candidate said, "There's a remnant left over. Maybe get the remnant out. Get the remnant out." The crowd, taking its cue, then tried to root out other people who might be dissenters, all the while crying "USA." The candidate interjected:

"Isn't this more fun than a regular boring rally? To me, it's fun." This kind of mob violence was meant to transform the political atmosphere, and it did."

p43 'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My point stands, thanks, I'm glad you finally agree that you censor and your recent threads once again confirm that fact.

On Topic:

Trump's rallies were examples of the inroads of totalitarianism today. Quote below from a must read book.

"Because the American federal government uses mercenaries in warfare and American state governments pay corporations to run prisons, the use of violence in the United States is already highly privatized. What is novel is a president who wishes to maintain, while in office, a personal security force which during his campaign used force against dissenters. As a candidate, the president ordered a private security detail to clear opponents from rallies, but also encouraged the audience itself to remove people who expressed different opinions. A protester would first be greeted with boos, then with frenetic cries of "USA," and then be forced to leave the rally. At one campaign rally the candidate said, "There's a remnant left over. Maybe get the remnant out. Get the remnant out." The crowd, taking its cue, then tried to root out other people who might be dissenters, all the while crying "USA." The candidate interjected:

"Isn't this more fun than a regular boring rally? To me, it's fun." This kind of mob violence was meant to transform the political atmosphere, and it did."

p43 'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder

I don't believe you actually read these books.

BTW, I can't censor you. Just because you repeat it over and over again doesn't make it true