Page 120 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 1957

Thread: Terrible news for the Creation Science museum (and Republicans)

1. #1786 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,572 Times in 51,893 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    For that you need triple-slit.
    Triple slits could be fun too. Wasn't that one of Riley Reid's movies?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (06-17-2021)

3. #1787 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    For over 4 million dollars, it had better be.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Doc Dutch (06-17-2021)

5. #1788 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    But the wave deal is that the electromagnetic radiation oscillates, no? And that shit propogates throughout the universe where there is no solar win.
    Interferometers connected by computers from arrays countries apart detect radiowave propagation a zillion miles away. That is not riding solar wind.
    I am not 100 percent sure, but I think it has to do with field theory...the reason it propagates is that a moving electrical field induces a moving magnetic field, which in turn induces the moving electric field, and so on, and so on...aka, the fields self-propagate

6. #1789 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Yes you are correct. That is why she is rich.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Doc Dutch (06-17-2021)

8. #1790 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    No one who looks at the fossil record, and the four million year progression of hominids from Austapithicus to anatomically modern humans has the slightest problem understanding homo sapien sapiens evolved from earlier forms of hominids.
    Well, that doesn’t answer the question.

But the answer is ‘no’. It’s not possible to be objective about interpreting fossils.

Why do I get the idea I’m the only actual skeptic here lol? I don’t claim to know exactly how we got here and I’ve played this game from both sides of the debate. Though I am a Christian I think there’s some merit to the argument that interpreting Genesis limits God in a sense.

The problem with allowing an infinitely omnipotent Being into the equation is that He could play tricks with time, for example. Once I concluded that, I was liberated. I don’t ‘need’ anything to be true because evolution doesn’t prop up my belief system. Nor does it prop up my unbelief. Evolution functions as a hedge against religion and Christianity in particular.

But in my mind they are two totally separate realms of thought. So I’ll sit here and poke holes in it just to entertain myself.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

9. #1791 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Well, that doesn’t answer the question.

But the answer is ‘no’. It’s not possible to be objective about interpreting fossils.

Why do I get the idea I’m the only actual skeptic here lol? I don’t claim to know exactly how we got here and I’ve played this game from both sides of the debate. Though I am a Christian I think there’s some merit to the argument that interpreting Genesis limits God in a sense.

The problem with allowing an infinitely omnipotent Being into the equation is that He could play tricks with time, for example. Once I concluded that, I was liberated. I don’t ‘need’ anything to be true because evolution doesn’t prop up my belief system. Nor does it prop up my unbelief. Evolution functions as a hedge against religion and Christianity in particular.

But in my mind they are two totally separate realms of thought. So I’ll sit here and poke holes in it just to entertain myself.
    Acknowledging scientific uncertainty and asking well framed questions is being a skeptic.

Denying evidence right in front of one's face is being a denier.

I have no idea what the precise relationship is between. Austapithicus, Homo habilis, Homo erectus, Homo sapiens meanderthalis, and Homo sapien sapiens is.

It is an are of active research, and the odds are there was no one simple stepwise evolutionary genealogy, but a mosaic of inbreeding and cross pollination between archaic human subspecies or variants.

But there is not a single reasonable person who could look at the four million year record of archaic human variants leading up to anatomically modern humans, and not be able to recognize evolutionary progression is in play.

10. #1792 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Move over, DNA: ancient proteins are starting to reveal humanity’s history

Proteins dating back more than one million years have been extracted from some fossils, and could help to answer some difficult questions about archaic humans.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01986-x

11. #1793 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Acknowledging scientific uncertainty and asking well framed questions is being a skeptic.

I have no idea what the precise relationship is between. Austapithicus, Homo habilis, Homo erectus, Homo sapiens meanderthalis, and Homo sapien sapiens is.

It is an are of active research, and the odds are there was no one simple stepwise evolutionary genealogy, but a mosaic of inbreeding and cross pollination between archaic human subspecies or variants.

But there is not a single reasonable person who could look at the four million year record of archaic human variants leading up to anatomically modern humans, and not be able to recognize evolutionary progression is in play.
    It helps to assume that human evolution has occurred. As pointed out—and as you tacitly conceded, interpreting fossils is a subjective enterprise. If one *assumes* evolution they are more apt to ‘see it’ in the fossils.

I can’t think of another area of science that operates that way.

And it’s not your fault the Australopithecus——> Man sequence is jumbled. Australopithecus was clearly a kind of ape like animal but the rest are quite arguably human. The one real test of speciation is the interfertility test: if a Homo erectus could mate with a Homo sapiens and produce fertile offspring—they are the same species. But that experiment is impossible so we are forced to speculate.

There is *plenty* to be skeptical about with evolution. And it’s broader and more ‘ambitious’ claims would probably be rejected except there’s nothing to replace it with. At least nothing that can be considered given science’s commitment to philosophical naturalism.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

12. #1794 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

No, only willfully unreasonable ones. That is the problem we have in education versus nonsecular myth indoctrination. They are irreconcilable.
    The wall between church and state needs to be impenetrable. Church should be studied only as an object in public schools.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Cypress (06-18-2021)

14. #1795 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It helps to assume that human evolution has occurred. As pointed out—and as you tacitly conceded, interpreting fossils is a subjective enterprise. If one *assumes* evolution they are more apt to ‘see it’ in the fossils.

I can’t think of another area of science that operates that way.

And it’s not your fault the Australopithecus——> Man sequence is jumbled. Australopithecus was clearly a kind of ape like animal but the rest are quite arguably human. The one real test of speciation is the interfertility test: if a Homo erectus could mate with a Homo sapiens and produce fertile offspring—they are the same species. But that experiment is impossible so we are forced to speculate.

There is *plenty* to be skeptical about with evolution. And it’s broader and more ‘ambitious’ claims would probably be rejected except there’s nothing to replace it with. At least nothing that can be considered given science’s commitment to philosophical naturalism.
    All areas of science include subjectivity, opinion, and speculation.

Repeatability and self-correction are generally what set science apart from other intellectual endeavors.

Fossils are hard, tangible data. They can be directly observed, measured, compared, tested.

The higgs boson, quarks, and quantum entanglement cannot be observed or even directly detected. No one one has ever seen them. We can only infer their existence by indirect detection and higher mathematics.

I am pretty sure anatomically modern homo sapiens did not overlap in time with homo erectus. To the extent we have homo erectus DNA, it was not by direct procreation, but passed down a genetic pathway through intermediate variants of archaic humans.

I do not see how a reasonable person, using their mental faculties of induction and inference, could possibly look at the four million year record of a progression from archaic human variants up to anatomically modern homo sapiens and still declare that biological evolution is in grave doubt.

15. #1796 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Darth Omar

I'm sorry, this is just pathetic. You have no hand. Fold already.

No, it is NOT subjective. Observing relative differences in objects and similarities between them is NOT subjective. Get out a fucking ruler a measure the distance between your big toe and your prehensile tail,
    same as a Gibbon's right? That is not subjective.

Religion is inimical to science and that's why you are engaged in a futile attempt at apologetics.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Cypress (06-18-2021)

17. #1797 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

All areas of science include subjectivity, opinion, and speculation.

Only in the sense that everything whatsoever, when perceived is subject to the point of view of the observer. There is not a gap for god to slip into with this truism.

18. #1798 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Only in the sense that everything whatsoever, when perceived is subject to the point of view of the observer. There is not a gap for god to slip into with this truism.
    Theists are fighting a losing battle trying to fit God in the gaps of various and sundry scientific theories.

Those gaps are always closing.

A better question theists could pose, is where did the universe's laws of physics come from? Why does order rather than chaos underlie them? And why is there something rather than nothing?

Those are genuine metaphysical questions, and if I were looking for providential design those are the questions I would ask.

19. #1799 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Theists are fighting a losing battle trying to fit God in the gaps of various and sundry scientific theories.

Those gaps are always closing.

A better question theists could pose, is where did the universe's laws of physics come from? Why does order rather than chaos underlie them? And why is there something rather than nothing?

Those are genuine metaphysical questions, and if I were looking for providential design those are the questions I would ask.
    Those are the perennial questions they do ask, but some pervert them and try to shove them in my kids school textbook a la
    Kitzenmiller v Dover. (sp?) Yes agreed, they should stick to philosophy.

The relative degree of chaos v order is something I am unconvinced about either way, as to which may predominate.
    So I find the fact that there is enough order for us to "know things" and frankly, predict anything let alone
    everything, does not suggest a designer in any way. The reasoning becomes circular and unsolvable immediately.
    Well if we only knew more we would know more. Why don't we know more? The is not enough order? Therefore there is no god?
    The corollary is equally unappealing intellectually. So I file that question in my debate while enjoying adult beverages file.
    I'm no longer in philosophy 101 and stopped smoking dope in college.

I will offer this, if there were a god who wished us to know him, he would have hired better advocates on earth.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Cypress (06-20-2021)

21. #1800 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am a Christian..... So I’ll sit here and poke holes in it .
    That's all we needed to know. If you wanted to entertain yourself you'd poke holes in the bible. Much more entertaining.